When To Polish? What To Use?

I still have under 500mi on my 460, it's silver. Is there a time period when new paint should be left to cure or can one begin polishing immediately? I have usually used on my previous 400 the "Nu-Finish" wipe on/off (silicon?) type products. Yes, very inexpensive and very easily applied. My 400 is 18 years old and people can hardly believe the paint is that ancient, it looks so lustrous.

I turned down Simonize System 5, imagining I was mostly paying for a warranty I would likely never use. Anyone have anything really good to say for that process? When did they stop putting the leather protection on the new 460? :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Check out the detailing forum, tons of info in there.

No need to wait, the paint is cured at the factory. You did the right thing by turning down the dealer's sealant kit.

I'm not a fan of NuFinish, too abrasive and outdated. Tons of better products out there. Check out the detailing forum ;)

I still have under 500mi on my 460, it's silver. Is there a time period when new paint should be left to cure or can one begin polishing immediately? I have usually used on my previous 400 the "Nu-Finish" wipe on/off (silicon?) type products. Yes, very inexpensive and very easily applied. My 400 is 18 years old and people can hardly believe the paint is that ancient, it looks so lustrous.

I turned down Simonize System 5, imagining I was mostly paying for a warranty I would likely never use. Anyone have anything really good to say for that process? When did they stop putting the leather protection on the new 460? :rolleyes:

Thanks!

I have been using Zaino products (http://zainostore.com/) on my 2001 LS430 and my 2006 RX400h and nothing comes close to how new they keep my paint. and how well they protect the finish. The wax test that Guru Reports conducted (http://www.gurureports.org/specialreports/waxtest.1.html) rated Zaino number one over all other waxes hands down.

• 2 weeks later...

"When did they stop putting the leather protection on the new 460?"

Hi Kenneth they put a thin urethane coating on the leather and as long as you don't use a product that that takes it off, using soap and water on a cloth should be enough for most stains. Having a silver car is easy, having a black LS means no car washes no out in the winter, only micro fiber cloths Wizards Mist and Shine to clean it. Still looks like new but just in case I have a Makita polisher and a Porter Cable orbital, Black,green and orange foam pads. 3m Perfect II polish. If I have to wash it with water I ran a line from the water softener to outside and bought a DI tank to clean the water up to keep it from spotting, I also bought a foam gun and a high pressure washer. Two bucket system with the dirt traps in the bottom seems to work best. Tried the leave blower to dry wasn't my cup of tea, I really like the Micro fiber cloths for everything. Many forums on detailing many hours of reading have fun with it keeping a car clean can be a hobby and good exercise.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

I have been using Zaino products (http://zainostore.com/) on my 2001 LS430 and my 2006 RX400h and nothing comes close to how new they keep my paint. and how well they protect the finish. The wax test that Guru Reports conducted (http://www.gurureports.org/specialreports/waxtest.1.html) rated Zaino number one over all other waxes hands down.

Thanks for the clue; I went with Zaino and am very happy!

"When did they stop putting the leather protection on the new 460?"

Hi Kenneth they put a thin urethane coating on the leather and as long as you don't use a product that that takes it off, using soap and water on a cloth should be enough for most stains. Having a silver car is easy, having a black LS means no car washes no out in the winter, only micro fiber cloths Wizards Mist and Shine to clean it. Still looks like new but just in case I have a Makita polisher and a Porter Cable orbital, Black,green and orange foam pads. 3m Perfect II polish. If I have to wash it with water I ran a line from the water softener to outside and bought a DI tank to clean the water up to keep it from spotting, I also bought a foam gun and a high pressure washer. Two bucket system with the dirt traps in the bottom seems to work best. Tried the leave blower to dry wasn't my cup of tea, I really like the Micro fiber cloths for everything. Many forums on detailing many hours of reading have fun with it keeping a car clean can be a hobby and good exercise.

Yes, silver is easier and it is a sort of hobby, a pleasurable one. I have enjoyed using the Zaino products. All the best!