The Best Thing I Did For The Paint

My fellow Lexus owners, I recently watch all the training videos (free to view) from Meguiar's web site. I did the hole nine yards from start to finish. The clay to the final wax and detail. Holy Smokes! Strongly recommend this product and process to get that new car look again or to even just ensure your paint job looks deep rich and sexy. Check it out.

Use the RX feature, they will recommend both product and procedures for your area and the current condition of your cars paint.

www.meguiars.com

Good luck

I have been very proud of Meguairs all the times Ive used them. I dont get into their wheel and tire stuff as much but their soaps, waxes, scratch removers, etc. have been great with me. A lot of guys from my BMW board like Zaino. I have never used it myself though. I find it very pricey. Meguairs is nicely priced and affordable!

I was at Wal Mart getting oil and they had a whole kit for sale for $25. It was a pretty cool package. I feel like a dork not getting it. I had to buy wax their the next weekend and that was $9 by itsself. This kit came with wax and about 8 other things I believe. DOH!

I started with Megs; my favorite combo ended with #16 paste. Since that was discontinued, I started playing around with the more elite and finicky products.

Klasse offers an *incredible* finish, but at the cost of many dropped F-bombs "learning" how to apply the Sealant Glaze properly.

Zaino is expensive and was way too hyped for me to use at first. Curiosity got the better of me, I did a full detail on my dad's car one weekend home from grad school. Eight months later, I asked him who he got to do it again. He responded that it was the original two coats that I had applied so long ago. So yes, it's expensive and definitely has its fanboys, but it's a great great product.

Nothing beats the back-to-basics appeal of applying a natural paste wax--synthetics just can't touch it. However, the science is there. Both Zaino and Klasse last and last. If you are an infrequent detailer, those are your go-to products.

And an additional tip: look up and learn how to use "clay." Cleaning the paint to that level will extend the life of any product you put on top.

• 2 weeks later...
no wax will last 8 months on a daily driver.

You are exactly right. That's why I used Zaino and Klasse which are polymer sealants. The hardest waxes (#16, R.I.P. etc) will last about 1.5-2 months. A garaged daily driver will, without question, undoubtedly last 8-10 months (using a synthetic final product).

Mburnickas, did you have any questions about which products and processes to use? I can probably steer you in the right direction.

no wax will last 8 months on a daily driver.

The products I use (that my detailer uses actually) last a little over a year actually (car is garage kept, washed frequently) & the water still beads quite nicely.....that includes winter driving with alot of road salt & sand used. ;)

The products I use (that my detailer uses actually) last a little over a year actually (car is garage kept, washed frequently) & the water still beads quite nicely.....that includes winter driving with alot of road salt & sand used. ;)

it ant no wax dude! LOL...

So you only wash it over 1-year with no other applications? one a garage kept not many miles per year, maybe with a sealant....

For me, I do not know if beading is integral to product longevity. I say that since I can QD a car and it beads for weeks and I did not ADD anything to protect it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that water will bead up long after the wax or sealant is gone from the paint. Beading isn't an adequate sign of protection.

Whatever your detailer uses is LONG gone before a year Bren, especially up there.

It's a sealant that is used & to be honest, I've never had any paint problems with my cars in 15 years. ;) But I agree, I should apply stuff at least several times per year........tough with an 11 month old around though. :)

I use to wax my vehicles every 2 weeks when I was younger (boy I was anal about that stuff back in the day!).......just can't be bothered as I get older.....I guess that means my OCD is getting better huh? :lol:

:cheers:

Join the club. I have not detailed my car since 8-10-2007! That was 8,000 miles ago! Same reason here but mine is 28 months and they know how to push ya! But ha, when they sleep you have some time! LOL.

I am like yourself. I only nuts about oil though and let the rest slide since life is worth more then a car.

I haven't detailed mine in about that long. I do add wax to it though every couple of months.

As long as you keep them clean and in good shape, total detailing isn't really ever neccisary.

I haven't detailed mine in about that long. I do add wax to it though every couple of months.

As long as you keep them clean and in good shape, total detailing isn't really ever neccisary.

I tried that (wax) and my OCD took over; surface needed clay first and I could not do it....so it is still getting washed when I can...Moving out of Texass so car is not first inline...:)

• 4 weeks later...

I just used a clay bar for the first time on my '07 IS250 this past weekend. It was a Megs’ kit. I am amazed at all the dirt it sheered off even after a good wash. It is not as hard to do as I thought it would be. I even clayed the windows. I am up in Chicago and wanted to do a good detail after the winter months. I waxed afterwards and it looks great. Using the clay before even makes the wax easier to remove. I am super impressed. :D