Climate Control Bulbs

raymsixsix

Hey guys, I have a '95 LS and the lcd on the climate control works fine, it's some of the bulbs that are burnt out. I've contacted the dealership about replacement bulbs but they want $15 per bulb! Per Toyota dealership, they don't use them on any Toyota cars. I've contacted Jim Walker and he will give me a great deal on a set that works on the 90-94 (Thanks Jim) but, according to Lexus, the 95 uses a different bulb. The part number per Lexus is 8499960460. Does anyone know where I could possibly get these bulbs? Thanks guys for any help. B)

That part comes up on the Park Place Lexus website at a price of $7.50 each. They are located in Plano, Tx.

That is still a ridiculous price, but it's better than $15.00.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...p;siteid=213808

Enter the part number in the box and click on "Search."

Hey guys, I have a '95 LS and the lcd on the climate control works fine, it's some of the bulbs that are burnt out. I've contacted the dealership about replacement bulbs but they want $15 per bulb! Per Toyota dealership, they don't use them on any Toyota cars. I've contacted Jim Walker and he will give me a great deal on a set that works on the 90-94 (Thanks Jim) but, according to Lexus, the 95 uses a different bulb. The part number per Lexus is 8499960460. Does anyone know where I could possibly get these bulbs? Thanks guys for any help. B)

Yes, Cuman is right I recently replaced those in my A/C and head unit. I live near the plano location here in Texas. Would be happy to help you get them if you like.

At those prices you might want to buy a surplus one one Ebay, use the bulbs you need and sell the ones you don't.

LEDs at V-LEDS.com...??

Thanks a lot for all your help and suggestions fellas. I'll keep checking around as I'm sure that we're not the only handful of people who have had to replace these bulbs, and at those prices I can't imagine anyone buying them unless out of absolute necessity. I'll keep you all posted about what happens. Thanks again, and enjoy your weekend B)

how many bulbs are burnt? i got one under one of the buttons in climate control section and another one under the button in audio section.

when you going to do the job, if possible, make pix and document it, it would be a nice howto for this job for a second generation of LS and im sure its going to be appreciated by many members here, including me:)

Wow, 15! I remeber looking for bulbs for the three lights under the radio (seat heaters and trac control) and they were extremely expensive for the size they were. I would thought they were lights that needed to be soldered in and out to replace. Knock on wood mine are still cool. Although the Nak headunit has its problems!

Those are small 12 volt "grain-of-wheat" bulbs that can be purchased every day at Radio Shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

Look closely, the grain of wheat bulb can be removed from the special "holder" and simply replaced.

Remove the bulb from the holder carefully and the "color" sleeve/condom can be saved for use on the new bulb.

Sorry, cellphone camera wouldn't focus that close but you should be able to see enough to get the base idea.

post-4016-1204590326_thumb.jpg

I found the same type of removable bulbs in the radio and various instrumentation switches of our Volvo. Be glad that Lexus even sells the bulbs, the Volvo response was to by a new radio, switch assembly, etc. I did the suggestion above about simply using standard grain of wheat, with partial success. Be aware that there are several different voltage levels for grain of wheat bulbs near 12 V (use 14-15 V rated bulbs if you can find them) and that you may find the new grain of wheat bulbs both way too bright and way out of sync with the other lights when adjusting with the panel light dimmer. I did find something that worked for the Volvo radio by putting a resister (just a few ohms) in line with the panel light line to the radio.