Rattle in back doors of 2002 ES300

hfactor24

Hi Everyone:

I have a 2002 ES300 with 8600 miles on it that I bought new in Jan 2002. Since the cold weather has descended on us here in NYC, its developed very annoying rattles in both rear doors. Its been back to the dealer twice and still has the rattles. Has anyone else gone through this? The ES300 loaner I was given had the same noises so I'm thinking its something endemic with this model. Any suggestions (aside from turning up the radio) would be most appreciated!

Mine doesn't rattle, but its an 03. When it gets cold out, plastic tends to harden, my guess is that there are some plastic components in the rear doors of the 02 that harden and rattle when cold.

Does it get any better as the car warms up? Definately keep on the dealer about this, they'll find the issue eventually.

• 4 weeks later...

this seems to be a common problem with the 02 ES.

It is more prevalent in the colder temps and goes away as it gets warmner in and outside of the car.

From the people that have had this and done something about it: the solution is to remove the sound insulation inside the doors.

I ain't ready to take the panel off yet, so I'm living with it.

steviej

it's nice to be here. I was wondering where you went.

Actually I heard it in a post elsewhere. The owner stated it was done by a Lexus service tech. The doors don't rattle (not a mechanical metallic rattle), and the ambient sound did not rise that much.

I heard another person suggesting that you go in and reinforce the attachment of the insulation with the almighty wonder (duct tape).

Frankly, i've gotten used to it. I don't really want to rip off the inside panel.

steviej

• 10 months later...

Hi,

Newbie here. Just got a 2004 Lexus 330 and the rear door rattle is making me crazy. My 2000 Avalon never had this. I am amazed to see it is somewhat common. And happy at the same time because maybe that means they will know how to fix it. <_<

Seems to happen more over small bumps, and not on smooth roads.

Does anyone esle see the irony in this in that it appears to be SOUND INSULATION that is causing the rattle??? Gees, if it was happening to someone else, I would still be laughing!!! :D

My dealer is far away and inconvenient and I will make exactly one trip to get this fixed.

Well, if it was not for this, (and some other stuff, minor, except for some slight hesitation at low speeds ::Always seems to be when I need it least, though.) I would actually like the car.

So, I am hoping I got a good car as it was a big step for me.

And, I am happy I found this board as you all seem to be excellent.

Pleasure to be aboard,

David Bell

Welcome to LOC Mr. Bell.

It has been 35,000 miles and the start of a new winter. I have yet to have the TSB performed for the rear door rattle. My ES's insulation seemed to settle into it's final resting place. Very cold winter last year and over time the sound went away.......or I just blocked it out. :blink:

This week temps are supposed to drop to the lowest it has been in NE. I will keep an ear to see if my rattle is really gone.

steviej

Gone through the same thing w/ my 02' ES300. Yeah, mine will rattle more when it's cold...in Texas it's not all the time though! I do get rattles from the back door and lots of other places...but it really annoys me....guess it's because it's a Lexus and you wouldn't expect it...don't have a solution for you because I haven't fixed mine yet...but airing up your tires to the right p.s.i. can help some!!!! :D :D

What bothers me the most is that the Lexus Corporation has had a service bulletin issued for this rear door problem for over a year. I assumed that this would be corrected by now, especially in the '04 model ES's, but what I have read I guess they never did anything about it.

Also, I just received the new issue of Consumers Reports. In this issue they tested the 2004 Lexus ES330. Here is a quote concerning the transmission: "The five-speed automatic transmission is smooth, but not always responsive when downshifting." This unresponsiveness has been an ongoing gripe among many owners of '02-'04 ES's.

Why doesn't the Lexus Corporation try to correct these annoyances? The company has lost it's position as being the top rated upscale sedan to fourth position. The new Acura TL is now considered to be number 1.

Because of these factors, especially the transmission problem, I'm really starting to consider buying the TL in the future.

Lexus: WAKE UP AND SMELL THE ROSES. :chairshot:

Just purchased a new ES 330 and the back door rattle is most upsetting. I notice it in warm or cold weather. The noise may not actually be a rattle from the door but a compression noise from the brushed aluminum scuff plate on the door frame. I recently had passengers in the back seat. When the heavy passenger (200 pounds) sat next to the offending door, the noise all but disappeared.

I'm taking the car back to the dealer next week to see if the problem can be cured.

Well, it is good to know I am not alone :) I will keep you folks updated as to what happens when I visit the dealer.

Funny, this is why I did not buy a Passat or an Acura TL!

Anyways, thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to learnign and sharing about these cars!

I had some driving to do in the rain and at night, and boy, the car is such a pleasure to drive in such conditions.

DB

I'm sad to say that I'm glad I'm not alone. I just discovered that annoying rattle in my 2004 ES330 after the temp dropped below 35 degrees. And for the 2nd time as well, the upper left of the hard plastic part that covers the back of the drivers seat has popped off. Is this a common issue among other owners? O-well, at least it'll be in the shop in the next 2 weeks for it's 10,000 mile service.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to add, i did hear a rattling noise for a good 6 months before i figured out what it was. the rattling is more like a thick/hard plastic hitting another plastic. the source was an absolute hysterical one. the seat bealt thingy apparently was not put nicely back up. so it was kind of having an edge near the side of the car. and small bumps definitely cause this to hit the bar, big bumps i dont hear anything. of course, i am just a simpleton and you guys probably are right aobut all that technical mumbo.

sorry if what happened to me didn't help. :P

Hello everyone,

You need to remove the foam block on your door and noise will go away. There was a TSB on this, but they told us to insulate the door. Yeah right. Your foam block rubbing against the door panel, that is what cause the rattle. Have fun.

www.jpimportz.org

I have a 2003 es I've had for 5 months and the rattles started when it started getting cold, I just called the dealer and they have ordered some kind of door kit that is to get rid of the rattling noise, we will see. If they have a kit for the problem it must be a design defect in all the lexus es.

JPI,

If the foam block is causing the noise, then can I just double stick tape it? I'm sure the engineers put that there for a reason. I'll be taking my car in on Monday for service and will ask about that "kit".

Whatever kind of "kit" they used on my car.......it worked! I haven't had the rattle ever since the repair.

Once again, I can't understand why Lexus never did anything to help eliminate this rattle in manufacturing since it started in the '02 ES's and continued right up to the '04 ES's. I think it's a lack of communication between various areas of the Toyota/Lexus Corporation. <_<