Wireless Lock, No Horn Beep

I am now the proud owner of a mint condition 1992 SC400, but i have two questions, first when i use the locking button on the key, i have to be no more than 2 feet away for it to work, and the horn doesnt give a beep to give you any recognition it locked, why is it doing those things??? Second, I want to check the spark plugs out, and check my cylinder pressure out but i have no idea where the plugs are, they sure arent visible from looking into the engine bay, i dont want to tear all sorts of things off to find them, where are they hiding???

Here is my baby:

100_2972.jpg

100_2964.jpg

th_100_2963.jpg

I am now the proud owner of a mint condition 1992 SC400, but i have two questions, first when i use the locking button on the key, i have to be no more than 2 feet away for it to work, and the horn doesnt give a beep to give you any recognition it locked, why is it doing those things??? Second, I want to check the spark plugs out, and check my cylinder pressure out but i have no idea where the plugs are, they sure arent visible from looking into the engine bay, i dont want to tear all sorts of things off to find them, where are they hiding???

okay the plugs are below the panels on both heads that say Four Cam. take out four ten mm bolts and VOILA right below . if you decide to change the caps and rotors with the plugs, then u got your work cut out for you. its a very strenuous task. let me know if u need help . i might even post a DIY tutorial if needed.

I think for the sake of everyone here like me, an SC400 virgin, it would be very helpful to have a tutorial.

Do you have any idea about my remote entry issues?

unfortunately i do not have any ideas about the remote entry issues. my key was broken when i got it and the button never worked... so i just installed an aftermarket alarm/remote starter. works like a champ locks and unlocks, pops the trunk, turns the car on at the press of a button, and its integrated in with the factory alarm so the lights and horn go with the siren in Panic mode. u might find assistance with that over at Clublexus.com lots of info there..... i just did my tune up today. wish i had taken pictures in the process. would have been helpful with the tutorial. I will be doing a friend of mines SC4 sometime this weekend, so i will get pix of his while i do it.

here on this picture are a bunch of circles. remove all the screws shown and there are some u cant see on this picture, u also have to remove the air pipes from the throttle body down to the MAF meter. its a very involved task. i will try to take some pix of the motor tomorrow showing what needs to be removed.

post-63598-1204182760_thumb.jpg

I don't know if this was only on the newer models or not, but on my 97 SC300 when I lock the car with the keyfob it just beeps once and when I unlock it beeps twice. No horn. I was having the same problem with the very short range. Probably just need to put in a new battery. That fixed my problems and now I can set off the panic from a window 4 stories up.

Hey I had to sneak over from the LS forum ;) hehehe

The beep should be controlled by a little black button under the dash near the driver's shins. I'm not sure if this is the same case on the early SCs, but it's like that on my 97 LS and I've heard of it on 1st gen LS's.

Oh and by the way...congrats on the purchase! that is a BEAUTIFUL car!! :lol:

:cheers:

Hey I had to sneak over from the LS forum ;) hehehe

The beep should be controlled by a little black button under the dash near the driver's shins. I'm not sure if this is the same case on the early SCs, but it's like that on my 97 LS and I've heard of it on 1st gen LS's.

Oh and by the way...congrats on the purchase! that is a BEAUTIFUL car!! :lol:

:cheers:

Thanks guys, i found the spark plugs today, lol, i was just curious, lexus went out of their way to hide the damn things. My SC400 was a steal at 6,800 and it is in MINT condition! I love this car!!! Now if i can just make the damn thing beep so i know it locked lolol!! :lol: :lol:

I have a 92 SC400 and the remote lock works exactly as you describe it. I have to be very close to the car, and there is no audible verification that the lock/unlock command has been received.

I am missing the little screw that holds my key cover in place and have lost two batteries when the cover separates. A piece of tape fixed the missing battery thing, but I can tell you new batteries don't increase the range of operation.

The beep feature of the keyless entry was added to the LS400 for the 1993 model year so it might have been the same on the SC.

The range of the keyless entry on the 1990 LS400 I had for many years was always only a few feet when it worked at all - even when I bought the car new in early 1990. I was told to hold the key near the right rear quarter panel when hitting the button on the key.

When my 90 LS was under it's original warranty, the dealer changed components of the keyless entry, including the keys, several times trying to improve its performance. Nothing helped.

Thanks guys, i contacted my local lexus dealer, they said that the SC400 didnt have audible lock until the 94's, that sucks, but he did reccomend a shop i could go to that would wire one in for a few bucks, i might just do that, i'd prob be better off just putting a complete aftermarket system in.

For those with crappy range:

Take off your cover of your key and look in the lower left corner by the circuit board. There will be a blob of solder. Most of he time it is cracked and needs to be resoldered.

Do that and get a new battery and you should be good from 60 feet on in,

Worked like night and day for me.