Replace Rear Shocks And Springs

mark95

you dont have to change springs, just change shocks.

OEM toyota shocks are around 70$ a piece. it takes hour or hour and a half to change them if you gonna do it yourself. you also gonna need a special tool to compress the spring, it is available for rent absolutely free from autozone.

VMF, Have you done this? I'm starting to replace all four struts on my '97, and I'm starting with the rear since I'm waiting on the fronts to get here, how does the rear seat come out, on the older models, there is a plastic release tab to pull to release the bottom of the seat, haven't been able to find the release for the seat on the '97, any help would be appreciated.

frankly i dont remember, my brother was takin the rear seat out while i was workin on the front struts. i think there are only bolts that hold the top one, the bottom just try to pry or pull but im not sure

you dont have to change springs, just change shocks.

OEM toyota shocks are around 70$ a piece. it takes hour or hour and a half to change them if you gonna do it yourself. you also gonna need a special tool to compress the spring, it is available for rent absolutely free from autozone.

Depending on how many miles Mark has, it might be a good idea to change the springs too. I just changed the springs on my LS, and they made a HUGE difference in ride quality, but I did have over 300,000 miles on the old springs. :D

I take it you changed your shocks a long while ago becuase prices have gone way up on these parts! I remember grumbling about paying $70 a piece for shocks when I changed mine a few years ago, but that's nothing compared to the $120 they go for now! :blink: