Navigation Problem After 2 Days Tinit Front Big Window

naughty77

hi

my GPS stops working and the navigation is now going crazy.

this is happened 2 days after i installed a tinted film on the front big window and also the back window. the fil called "V Kool". i also got a message on the dashboard the one that look like the engine symbol. also the GPS indicator on the vanvigation screen went off compltely

any help pleaase

thanks

are you tellin us that you tinted your front windshield?

wow, you are going to be a cop magnet:)

the antenna for the gps is on the roof so im not sure how tinting can affect your GPS reception. it is probably a coincidence and you should have your GPS unit checked

wow, do you mean you tinted the entire front windsheild or just the top part near the visors? My windsheild is tinted with silver tint, but just 7" from the top. I thought it was weird looking at first, but now i kind of like it.

Anyways if you did the whole windshield... that is wild... post a pic.

hi again

if any one knows the location of the GPS antena receover let me know. even with windows all open and sunroof open the GPS icon

on the navigation gone off compltely. the check on button is displayed in the dashborard as well, i am not sure is it diue to the GPS after the metallihc top range tint or some thing else a coindcendece. i drove the car for 2 hours but didnot notice anything else

i attached the GPS icon i ws reverinfg to that went off completely

many thanks

post-63047-1204303028_thumb.jpg

The GPS antenna is under the dash, not on the roof. A lot of the tint films are somewhat metalic, so you just turned the inside of the car into something EEs like me call a Faraday Cage. The Faraday Cage blocks RF, so no RF from the satellites, no Nav. With a bit of work, you might be able to mount the GPS antenna somewhere else, but like the XM / Sirius antennas it may be an active unit with an amplifier built in.

The GPS antenna is under the dash, not on the roof. A lot of the tint films are somewhat metalic, so you just turned the inside of the car into something EEs like me call a Faraday Cage. The Faraday Cage blocks RF, so no RF from the satellites, no Nav. With a bit of work, you might be able to mount the GPS antenna somewhere else, but like the XM / Sirius antennas it may be an active unit with an amplifier built in.

thanks Robert Young

but do you know why would the "check" sign appeared ont he dashboard. i thought it might be linked with GPS reception or just a coincendce that something else went wrong in the car.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Robert Young

but do you know why would the "check" sign appeared ont he dashboard. i thought it might be linked with GPS reception or just a coincendce that something else went wrong in the car.

cheers

maybe the system senses that no signal is being received from the GPS satellites and this may be triggering the check warning.

• 1 month later...

hi folks

thanks for your support.

Here is what happened:

1) the navigation was lost because of the metallic film which cut the RF completely. i managed to restore by making a small (ugly) window just above the dashborad behnd the navigation screen. it is okay now.

2) the check in was not due to the navigation. the dealer checked it and found error P0440 " evaporative emision control malfuncation". i am not it is important to repair but it looks it needs time to be checked. i read few posts on this error and many were saying gas cap leak. Aslo the dealer found leak in the engine called V.V.T leak and engine sump leak. this leak possibly can wait till next service i suppose.

thanks

all