Built-in Navi Override So You Can Enter Address While Driving

RyanOfSoCal

I found these steps and have verified they worked for my 2006 Lexus GX 470.

This will allow the passenger (as we all know the driver shouldn't be doing it) to enter the address while the SUV is moving.

I only have one Lexus so I don't know if the same steps will work for other Lexus models. Hope they worked for yours.

With the Navi on

tap Menu

tap Volume

tap upper left of the display once

tap lower left of the display once

tap upper left of the display once

tap lower left of the display once

a menu of options should appear, press and hold the Override option until you hear a beep then let go

hit the address button and you should be able to enter the address while driving

This only works until you turn off the Navi so next time you're on the road you must do it again...only takes seconds to do and works great!

Enjoy and drive safely.

I found these steps and have verified they worked for my 2006 Lexus GX 470.

This will allow the passenger (as we all know the driver shouldn't be doing it) to enter the address while the SUV is moving.

I only have one Lexus so I don't know if the same steps will work for other Lexus models. Hope they worked for yours.

With the Navi on

tap Menu

tap Volume

etc, etc, etc

On my 2004 GX470, you need to tap the DVD button in the upper right corner instead of the VOLUME as per this post. Not sure if that is different on the 2006 model that he has.

Also, this override can only be done when the car is stopped. Otherwise, the DVD is "greyed-out".

• 2 weeks later...
^ 2007 and 2008 navi's (gen 5) had the override disabled.

Bummer, thanks.

I did find people on ebay selling a 2008 override. (YES 2008 not 2007) The dealer told me today that one did exist ( and I did find it for sale) but he said keep watching the internet it will get out there eventually. I have a 2008 GX470.

I wanted to know how this is done to make sure it is safe before I do it because I would not want to be cutting any wires as I have seen some suggest.

Does anyone have info or has anyone tried this fix via ebay?

Thanks so much.

I wanted to know how this is done to make sure it is safe before I do it because I would not want to be cutting any wires as I have seen some suggest.

Thanks so much.

All fixes if they do not include a switch will prevent the navigation unit from receiving the speed data, so the navigation will think that you are not moving and will allow you to enter data. However, because the navigation unit is not receiving that speed data, it must solely rely on the gps satellites for your current location, and since there is a delay in getting that data (long distance to the satellite), the nav will not update properly until you have stopped using the hack and then wait a minute or two for the nav to get the speed data again.

Well that sux, I dont know whats worst, pulling over to enter a address or a slow GPS. On the other hand, the newer Lexus GPS does have a voice command " address " and then you enter address by voice command when you are moving. It works pretty good for me.

Thanks so much.

All fixes if they do not include a switch will prevent the navigation unit from receiving the speed data, so the navigation will think that you are not moving and will allow you to enter data. However, because the navigation unit is not receiving that speed data, it must solely rely on the gps satellites for your current location, and since there is a delay in getting that data (long distance to the satellite), the nav will not update properly until you have stopped using the hack and then wait a minute or two for the nav to get the speed data again.

Thank you so much. It would have been nice if they linked the airbag sensor to the Nav so if a passenger was detected you could use it in motion. I do like to browse for restaurants particularly with hungry kids in the car and that is what I miss most about the lock out. I will try the voice address function.

Thank you to everyone.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a 2007 GX 470.with rear DVD player I've seen some info on the net about overriding the Nav so that it can be used while driving. The instrutions mention going to the menu screen and the volume screen and toching the "soft" button. On my volume screen it just has the numbers. Anyone know if it is possible to override the Nav on this model?

Thanks.

When they said soft volume button, they meant the volume button on the screen and not the physical volume button along the sides.

With a 2007 GX, you will need to get an older 5.1 nav disc or create a hybrid 7.1/5.1 disc to allow you access to this override menu as the version you currently have installed will not allow it.