Non-retracting Seat Belt

wwest

The seat belts in my '95 would not readily retract so bought new ones and just completed the installation.

I completely disassembled one of the old ones and now I maybe know the cause.

The front seat belts in the 95 LS have a dual-speed gearbox within the retractor/tensioner assembly.

It has two clock springs that are used to retract the seat belt, a light duty low tension spring and a heavier duty high tension spring.

The retractor uses a solenoid actuated escapment to shift between the two tension springs.

The idea seems to be to use the STRONG spring until the belt is buckled and then lock the strong spring in place and only rely on the light duty spring.

The problem is, apparently, the escapment gets stuck in the low tension position, maybe due to the solenoid armnature becoming permanently magentized.

If you have this problem my suggestion would be to remove the "electric tension reducer" connections to each front seat belt that enables the retractors to "shift" into the low tension mode. Then pull the belt out to the fully extended position 3 or 4 times to be sure the escapment unlocks. With the connection open you will always be using the high tension spring but that's better than paying $300 for a new set of seat belt retractors as I just did.

PIC is of a fully disassembled driver's side front seat belt retractor from a 1995 LS400.

post-4016-1204080937_thumb.jpg

The seat belts in my '95 would not readily retract so bought new ones and just completed the installation.

The front seat belts in the 95 LS have a dual-speed gearbox within the retractor/tensioner assembly.

It has two clock springs that are used to retract the seat belt, a light duty low tension spring and a heavier duty high tension spring.

The retractor uses a solenoid actuated escapment to shift between the two tension springs.

The idea seems to be to use the STRONG spring until the belt is buckled and then lock the strong spring in place and only rely on the light duty spring.

The problem is, apparently, the escapment gets stuck in the low tension position, maybe due to the solenoid armnature becoming permanently magentized.

If you have this problem my suggestion would be to remove the "electric tension reducer" connections to each front seat belt that enables the retractors to "shift" into the low tension mode. Then pull the belt out to the fully extended position 3 or 4 times to be sure the escapment unlocks. With the connection open you will always be using the high tension spring but that's better than paying $300 for a new set of seat belt retractors as I just did.

PIC is of a fully disassembled driver's side front seat belt retractor from a 1995 LS400.

Good idea. I think this would be helpful to a lot of folks.

Where exactly is the electric tension reducer connections? What has to be taken apart to get to the connections/

Are these the same as on the '98? Mine retract eventually, but sometimes they need some help along the way. I seem to recall seeing an old post about cleaning a part inside the retractors.

The connections are right at the retractor/tensioner which is mounted at the very bottom of the "B" pillar.

Move the front seat all the way forward.

Remove both front and rear door sill trim pieces. Just lift, flat blade screwdriver will help as a prybar.

Remove the "B" pillar bottom dress panel by prying the bottom outward first.

Disconnect the small electrical connection.

There was some indication that the switch inside the seat belt buckle might be a case of the problem and you can ascertain if that is the case by holding the seat belt release down to simulate, FORCE, the unbuckled mode. Apparently the switch does not always open with the belt simply unbuckled but will always (??) open if you depress the release.

Once the belt is buckled the tensioner should go into the low tension mode.