Need Advice For Removing Pinstripe

I recently bought a 98 LS400, with a beautiful gray exterior unfortunately marred with a painted silver & black (factory?) Lexus pinstripe. :angry: The rest of the paint is in great condition for a 10 yr old car, but the pinstripe shows its age. The stripe seems so thin, I'm wondering if it can just be rubbed off with a chemical stripper of some sort. Has anyone had any experience with this? What did you use? Rubbing compound? Wet sandpaper? Magic Eraser?

I recently bought a 98 LS400, with a beautiful gray exterior unfortunately marred with a painted silver & black (factory?) Lexus pinstripe. :angry: The rest of the paint is in great condition for a 10 yr old car, but the pinstripe shows its age. The stripe seems so thin, I'm wondering if it can just be rubbed off with a chemical stripper of some sort. Has anyone had any experience with this? What did you use? Rubbing compound? Wet sandpaper? Magic Eraser?

Personally, I've not done this, but this guy has some great turtorials and apparently knows what he's doing.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/body/pinstripes.html

Honestly? I would take the car to a professional for this. They will pick a chemical cleaner that will dissolve the stripe without damaging the paint and it will be much safer than you trying different things.

NEVER use a magic eraser on the paint! they are very abrasive.

Thanks for the replies. Wow- the "lexls" site is a great resource! Thanks for the tip. I've tried Easy-Off on painted letters on my fiberglass sailboat with outstanding results, but it never occured to me to use it on a painted surface. I may just give it a test on the gas flap like he suggested. If that doesn't work I guess I'll start getting estimates....

Thanks for the replies. Wow- the "lexls" site is a great resource! Thanks for the tip. I've tried Easy-Off on painted letters on my fiberglass sailboat with outstanding results, but it never occured to me to use it on a painted surface. I may just give it a test on the gas flap like he suggested. If that doesn't work I guess I'll start getting estimates....

Your welcome...Yes, lexls.com has a lot of good info for the DIY. Good luck and let us know what you ended up doing B)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have used the easy off method. In fact I have a tutorial in the IS forums also. It works great, and it doesn't hurt the paint at all. You will need to rewax the car afterwards though as it removes all waxes also.