Ls400 1990

mtunzini

I have just bought a 1990 LS400.

The engine has developed a dry bearing noise on the front end, it appears the Fan bearing pulley is worn.

Can one change this part as DIY job, what would be required to be removed from the front of the car and parts availability.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I didn't see this question earlier. To change the whole pully is a big pain in the a**. But, what you really need to change is the bearing!!!! The pully only can be removed in a minute or two. Simply place a large screw driver or other wedge by the pully, release the tension of the spring and remove the serpentine belt. Then remove the single bolt on the front of the pully. You will need a small press to press the old bearing out. Then you can go to an industrial bearing store, like Berry Bearing in the Chicago area and they can size it and find a replacement. I did this and it cost me like $4.00 instead of $75.00 for the entire assembly (not Lexus brand of course) and 4 hours worth of work. It is a lot of work to remove the whole assembly, so I recommend bearing replacment first.