Check Engine Light & Traction Control Blicking

IndyKen

:angry: Anybody have an idea why my check engine light would come on AND Traction Control light starts blinking? The computer reader at Autozone stated it was the o2 sensor after the cat. converter. It still does not explain the traction control light blinking though. It's an 03 IS 300 with 56K on it.

Help,

Ken

It's really hard to it this way. You really need the freeze frame data to determine if this is happening when the car is still cold, during warm up or if after it's fully warmed up and running for awhile. So the first thing is to check the sensor itself by doing a resistance check. If it fails, then you just replace the sensor. If it passes, then you go to the EFI relay. If it's good then you look at the ECM. Look around at the harness and check for a short, or loose connection. Has to be somewhere in there.

Thanks Smooth,

Yeah, how it happens is I reset the ecu. Then cold started it in the AM. Then I drive for 6 to 8 minutes. Check engine light comes on then the Traction control starts blinking a few seconds later. I'll search around here and look for some threads on checking the resistance of the sensor. Autozone is wanting $169 for the thing so it's worth a check. The intake sensor is where I'll go next. Is this sensor the one that is located on the intake tube (after the air filter)? I used to use electronic cleaner every so often on my other IS's intake sensor to stop a "surge" I would start getting on acceleration. Thank for the details. I see you're in Orlando. I miss it a bit since I left Hotties(donuts) last February up in Altamonte.

Ken

Oh yeah, Lovin the donuts! They opened a couple more Hotties also around town now! Altamonte is not far at all from me, I actually live in Winter Park. We are in the midst of planning a big camping trip to the mountians just above the Blue Ridge PArkway in June. We have a blast!

No, this is the sensor on the Y pipe after the catalysts on the header. The one on the intake is the MAF.

post-42851-1204077127_thumb.jpg

See that sensor thing sticking out the side of the exhaust in the lower left hand corner? Bank 2 sensor 2 is that one.

Damn dude, you just ROCK. Thanks for the info and pic. By the way, we closed the doors on Hotties back in July. Just couldn't get it to make money with cost of goods climbing higher & higher every month even with every BP in town selling them.

Any recommended source is for buying the O2 Sensor? I found one at www.oxygensensors.com for $89. Any chance you would know the lexus part number so I can cross reference it?

I uploaded the pdf of the service manual's page to this message but no part number contained in it.

Many Thanks,

Ken

O2_Sensor.pdf

Damn dude, you just ROCK. Thanks for the info and pic. By the way, we closed the doors on Hotties back in July. Just couldn't get it to make money with cost of goods climbing higher & higher every month even with every BP in town selling them.

Any recommended source is for buying the O2 Sensor? I found one at www.oxygensensors.com for $89. Any chance you would know the lexus part number so I can cross reference it?

I uploaded the pdf of the service manual's page to this message but no part number contained in it.

Many Thanks,

Ken

Has it been that long since I've been to Hotties? The one next to Sweet Tomatoes on Orlando Ave. just across I-4? And isn't there one in the Winter Park Village?

The part number is 90980-11028

89 isn't bad, you can try Ebay also. I v'e had friends get em there and have no problems. Try and get one from soemone who has an Ebay store. Atleast then you get the warrentee and a place to return it if you do have any issues.

Hey, thanks a boatload for the part number. Nope, we were in every BP Wild Bean cafe until last summer when my family shut our doors after 4 years. Our main factory was down in Lake Buena Vista near Hooters and another retail location on 436 & 434 in Altamonte across from Office Max, but only for a few months. We made some Kick !Removed! donuts which I miss a bunch. Especially living up here in Krispy Krap Country, NC. Again, thanks so much for the part number. You've saved me a bunch of time.

Ken

Your welcome, and anytime.

Hotties was the one with the heart shape for the O correct? Hmm, well. sorry for the business not working out.

They may have had a part number change. I would just call the dealer in the morning and get it from them then. But according to what I have it's the correct number.

• 1 month later...

I recently had this exact same thing happen on my 2004 is300. the engine light came on then about 5secs later the "trac off" light began blinking slowly. i read on another lexus forum that it had to do with the evaporative sensor in the fuel system and could be fixed by ensuring that your gas cap is screwed on all the way (until it clicks) i did this to mine and no change at first, i drove it around, did some hard braking, still no change. i drove it back home and decided to pop the negative terminal off for about 30secs and put it back on. when i did i put the key in and turned it, all the warning lights came on at first like normal then one by one went off, including the check engine, i put it in gear and went back then forward. i'm not sure if this is a permanent fix but try it on yours and it may work. good luck

• 1 month later...

Many Thanks,

Ken

Has it been that long since I've been to Hotties? The one next to Sweet Tomatoes on Orlando Ave. just across I-4? And isn't there one in the Winter Park Village?

The part number is 90980-11028

89 isn't bad, you can try Ebay also. I v'e had friends get em there and have no problems. Try and get one from soemone who has an Ebay store. Atleast then you get the warrentee and a place to return it if you do have any issues.

Hi Smooth,

I have the same problem on my 2003 IS 300 with 54K. I was looking at the pdf file, and under carpet on passenger side of my car, and cannot find the hole that the O2 passes. I looked underneath my car, and saw the O2 seems to connect to the inside of my car thorgh the passenger's seat.

Could you shed some light?

This is for the Bank 2 Sensor 2

I tried to make this as simple as possible... Enjoy!!

Unbolt all 4 bolts holding down the seat and remove the plastic molding and lift up the carpet a little:

post-42851-1211166225_thumb.jpg

When you take the seat out make sure you unclip the wires for the power seats that are under the seat:

post-42851-1211166235_thumb.jpg

post-42851-1211166244_thumb.jpg

Lift the carpet up enough to see the harness for the O2 sensor. You will need to unclip this. You can also see where the wire leads to under the car.

post-42851-1211166258_thumb.jpg

You will need to jack up the car to get to the sensor. Once you do that locate the 02 sensor and remove it.

post-42851-1211166267_thumb.jpg

Once I removed the sensor I re-scanned just to double check things and as you can see their is a 0.000v for the oxygen sensor 2 bank 2.

post-42851-1211166279_thumb.jpg

Now you need to wire the new sensor onto the harness. So make sure you match up the right wires

post-42851-1211166289_thumb.jpg

I connected the 2 Black to the 2 White...

1 White to the 1 Grey...

1 Blue to the 1 Black...

After you have the new sensor wired up just screw it back in (dont forget to add antisease on the thread of the sensor) and reconnect the harness that goes under the seat

post-42851-1211166300_thumb.jpg

Now your all set just clip the carpet back in and put your seat back.

post-42851-1211166311_thumb.jpg

• 11 years later...

I just ran into this problem earlier today IS300 2001 with 137K miles. Check engine light came on and the traction control light stays. Usually driving does not vibrates my car or stutters only when I come to a stop. Just got an OBII scan - P1349 VVT system maintenance and most likely solution is to replace Varibale Camshaft Timing (VCT) Solenoid. Anyone familiar with this issue? thanks