Freaking Shaking Car When Go 60mph

sounds like you have buckled rim or need a serious blanace done to all the wheels.

Go to the best place and get a proper balance done and also get the geometry done and you will find she will be smoooooth.

OMG.. I drive a Fl_lckin Lexus and when I drive 60pmg the whole dame steering wheel and car shakes.. WTF..how embarrassing. My honda doesn't even do this.. This is BS

1999 and 1998 had issue with the steering pre tensioner it might need to be tightened. Tell your Lexus dealer to look at ST003-98 it is for the 98 GS but yours might apply. It is called the steering flutter field fix.

Mine is smooth as silk.

If you don't like it sell it and drive your Civic.

BP

• 1 month later...

TRD911 - do you know the process for tightening the steering pre-tensioner? Seems silly to bring the car back to Lexus and wait for the Service Department when it can be fixed in your own garage. Especially if they will charge an hour of labor to do it.

OMG.. I drive a F****n Lexus and when I drive 60pmg the whole dame steering wheel and car shakes.. WTF..how embarrassing. My honda doesnt even do this.. This is BS

Mine has started to do the same thing since yesterday... I am gonna go get the tires balanced and hopefully that will be it. How can you tell if the rim is "buckled" ? Can you tell from looking at them? My rims look fine..

Interesting that this topic keeps coming up. A year ago I posted just this issue. I drive 95% city and yesterday I was up to 60 in the 45MPH zone (simply because it was 65 degrees and the sunroof was open) and as I reached 60 the Steering wheel began to vibrate CW/CCW. I had my tires load tested and balanced, had the wheels laser aligned, and added nitro to the tires. At low speeds the car handles better than it did prior to this but at 60 it vibrates and then diminishes as it gets up to 70 (but is still present). I just searched this topic and found this TSB

http://www.gainrecordings.com/lexus/1998%2...8%20field%20fix

It appears it is more of a fix than the typical DIY to me, no? And if it is a TSB, would not this be a recall issue? Granted my vehicle is 10 years old and I am the 3rd owner( first was a ST Louis Rams Player who had it for 6 months, second had it for 5.5 years , and I have had it for 4) but this is an identified issue that obviously has a number of people plagued. :o

Any thoughts on this?

yes if u have done all that a shop has told you to do and still dont know WTF is causing this. then take some time to read this tread. if u have read it and still dont know wat to do then pm me and ill give u some advice. was a 45 dollar fix.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...wheel+tensioner

PLEASE TAKE SOME TIME TO READ THIS.

so check this.. I bought 4 new Nexen N5000 tires, balanced them and did an Alignment, not to mention filled the air with Nitrogen, not O2.... WOWWWWW.. I couldnt believe it!!!! The car drives like SILK! Everyone that i drives says, WOW I cant believe how smooth this car drives. It drives better that my cuzins BMW 325i.. When I drive on the freeway I hit 100mph so easy I dont even realize it. Thats how smooth it is.. SO try this if you have shaking. By the way, if you have after market rims, your going to need inserts to stop the shaking. !!!!!

yes if u have done all that a shop has told you to do and still dont know WTF is causing this. then take some time to read this tread. if u have read it and still dont know wat to do then pm me and ill give u some advice. was a 45 dollar fix.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...wheel+tensioner

PLEASE TAKE SOME TIME TO READ THIS.

Hey Guys, I have some shaking too, on my 1994 GS300. I was wondering if the fix work for MY YEAR VEHICLE AS WELLl. thanks in advance for you help.

• 1 month later...
OMG.. I drive a F****n Lexus and when I drive 60pmg the whole dame steering wheel and car shakes.. WTF..how embarrassing. My honda doesnt even do this.. This is BS

I have always had this same problem with a 2000 GS400. I have had new tires put on and have had the wheels balanced car alignged and eventually the shaking right at 60 comes back. Did you ever get this fixed?

i was told to try and get a road alignment i think it was called.....its where they put actual road pressure on the car while they do the alignment.......im not noticing mine anymore but maybe i just got used to it! i went through everything except the ball joints and my new tires have nitrogen in them and like i said i either am not noticing it anymore (im really busy lately) or its gone

"i will welcome myself back to the forum as im,woo hooooooooo, finally unsuspended! hahaha!"

brian

By the way, if you have after market rims, your going to need inserts to stop the shaking. !!!!!

The centering rings didn't do much for my car. Helped, but "the shake" was still there.

I posted awhile back about tightening the steering rack, as discussed. It helped a bunch. For while, maybe a month or so. But it's back. This is way stupid. Lexus should have an answer for this once and for all.

get ur tires balanced that should take care of problem :D

that doesn't resolve MOST peoples problems.......they say a road force balance can help some too though! i haven't messed with my steering rack as i just don't like that idea of that being a fix plus i couldnt get the locking nutt loose! i might eventually try it but not yet!

"i will welcome myself back to the forum as im,woo hooooooooo, finally unsuspended! hahaha!"

brian