Under-torque Or Over-torque

I just bought a 1999 GS400 with 110K miles on it and I am new to this forum.

I have read about the steering wheel vibration at speed of about 60mph. So last Thursday night, I replaced both ball joints. And those of you who have done this job know about using cotter pins after the nuts have been tightened.

I read the torque value for the nuts are 119 ft-lbs. The hole for the cotter pins will not necessarily unobstructed after applying the torque value.

My question is: Which is better, to under-torque or over-torque these nuts (for these cotter pins)?

A related question is: Is it okay to replace these nuts with self-locking nuts (which will make the cotter pins irrelevant)?

Thanks in advance.

Btw, my 60mph steering wheel vibration is gone, I think. It's been raining here in NorCal so I have not taken the car out much.

Mario

• 2 months later...
It is not recommended to replace the castle nuts with any other type. It is permissible to continue tightening the castle nut until the next slot in the nut aligns with the hole in the stud.

According to a few guys onthe forum, they fix this problem by adjusting the steering pretensioner. so search the site and you will find info on how to fix your problem.

good luck.