"thunk" Sound On Out Of P On Incline/decline

Bali26

Hi,

My 91 LS400 makes a Thunk sound when i take it out of park when its on incline or a decline. Not on perfectly level ground.

Its like the drivetrain is under stress and removing from P unloaded it. The sound kinda comes from rear of car.

If I use parking brake then, there is no thunk. The mechanism that locks up drivetrain in P seems to be holding the weight of the car on incline. Is it supposed to be like that?

Is there a bushing that needs changing?

Bali

Its like the drivetrain is under stress and removing from P unloaded it. The sound kinda comes from rear of car.

If I use parking brake then, there is no thunk. The mechanism that locks up drivetrain in P seems to be holding the weight of the car on incline. Is it supposed to be like that?

Is there a bushing that needs changing?

Bali

What you describe is normal. No bushing replacement needed, at least not for this. I always use the pk brk on inclines of any kind except in really cold weather. Keeps the brake in shape and takes the stress off the tranny.

After three years of parking mine on a step driveway, I highly recommend you start using your e-brake to hold the car in place instead of the transmission. It's much cheaper and easier to replace e-brake shoes, than adjusting your transmission gates that gave out due to too much stress of holding a 4k+ car. When you park, put the car in N then set the e-brake, then put it in P. You'll feel the rear of the car squat down a little, which is normal. If the e-brake slips, then the tranny will hold the car. But a few more years of that god awful clunk/slam out of park will certainly create problems.