Thinking Of Getting 02 Ls430 /w Ultra Luxury Package

insignalhill

Hi, I'm thinking of getting an 02 ls430 with the Ultra Luxury Package, there's one at a local dealership with 88,000mi for around $24,000ish I really like the features of the package (massaging seats, etc) but I'm concerned of the air suspension reliability and cost if it breaks. Should this be something to avoid? Does the air suspension add a lot to repair/maintenance costs or is it pretty reliable? I've owned toyotas in the past but was wondering what repair costs to expect since its at almost 90k. Thanks in advance

it is rather costly to fix air suspension. does the dealer provide any kind of warranty?

if you buy it and it breaks, ive heard here on forums that people were switching to regular suspension after their air suspension let go.

Thanks for the reply. The car isn't certified so I'd have to purchase an extended warranty. How long does air suspension typically last? Is there anyone out there that has over 100k and the original air suspension parts? :)

it is rather costly to fix air suspension. does the dealer provide any kind of warranty?

if you buy it and it breaks, ive heard here on forums that people were switching to regular suspension after their air suspension let go.

as far as i know average is around 80-100k, but this is for early LS models. breakdowns could have been also caused by aging components.

despite lexus quality and reliability getting higher and higher, i would advice not to get a car with 90k miles and 6 years old. those pneumatic shocks are very expensive and hard to maintain and if you decide to switch to regular suspension it might be just as costly. i have never done it since i never had a car with air suspension but i heard that even on early ls models switching required changing certain cirquits besides all the hardware changes, but if you are willing to take a risk and still get it, make sure your extended warranty is going to cover air suspension. you never know when its going to hit ya, all i can tell you is that evdentually it will:)

I was told by a dealer that the newer shocks last a little longer; about 100-150k miles; but again your mileage may vary. Usually the system develops a leak; which eventually burns out the compressor.

Depending on how much you drive every year it might be a bit of a risk; especially at this age.

Hi, I'm thinking of getting an 02 ls430 with the Ultra Luxury Package, there's one at a local dealership with 88,000mi for around $24,000ish I really like the features of the package (massaging seats, etc) but I'm concerned of the air suspension reliability and cost if it breaks. Should this be something to avoid? Does the air suspension add a lot to repair/maintenance costs or is it pretty reliable? I've owned toyotas in the past but was wondering what repair costs to expect since its at almost 90k. Thanks in advance

Hi .... another consideration might be the "90,000 mile service," which on my older LS involves a TIMING BELT.

Has this service been done on this car? It is pretty big bucks if the dealer does it ....... if it were me, I would request that the "90,000 mile service" be done as part of this deal, if it has not been done already.

If Lexus actually did this service, they typically put a sticker in the engine bay indicating that this notable service point has been addressed. It should be obvious and near the battery location. Another thing you can do, is take the VIN number to the service department and have them run the number ... they can pull up any service history that has actually been performed by Lexus ....... a good resource to determine the history of the car you are looking at.

hope this helps ........

• 2 weeks later...

Hi:

I feel that for 24,000 you can do a lot better than that car with so many miles on. Keep checking cars until you find the perfect one. If it is that one for that price, then do it, but you now know the positives and the negatives of such a type car and condition.

CPR

shop around, you will be glad u did.....air suspension replacement is no joke, very expensive, take into consideration u will have to do the time belt, and waterpump, all hoses and thermostat, its better to find one that has just had the timing belt done even if it has more miles, milage on a Ls isnt that important as they run for so long, most people who sell their Ls at around 75-90,000 is due to the fact they just had an estimate done on the timing belt job.....i bought a 92 with 129,000 and the belt had not been changed