Front Suspension

2rotor

I am working on putting in my Tanabe DF210's and was reading on another website that you have to remove the ball joints... Is this true, or does it just make it easier? I will have to go find a puller if it is actually needed... Anyone have experience..?

It is true that you have to seperate the Ball Joint. I spent forever trying to do it without.... It has to be seperated...

Also for those of you that are planning on purchasing the DF210 springs, you will need a spring compressor.

if you dont have access to a ball joint puller. the alternative way is to loosen the nut and hammer the axle carrier where the ball joint connects. I saw the engineer remove my ls400 front and rear ball joint that way yesterday when i had all suspension bushings and ball joints replaced.

there was actually 1 ball joint that did not go out after many bangs, it got to be taken out by a puller. but anyway, its an alternative and wont damage your suspension

Just swing by any hardware or auto parts store and pick up a Pitman. They're a C clamp looking gadget that can undo any ball joint. You don't want to use the fork types, as they will tear the rubber boot covers which will accelerate the part's decay.

Just put the pitman on, and turn the little screw with some channel locks until you hear the loud pop!

if you dont have access to a ball joint puller. the alternative way is to loosen the nut and hammer the axle carrier where the ball joint connects. I saw the engineer remove my ls400 front and rear ball joint that way yesterday when i had all suspension bushings and ball joints replaced.

there was actually 1 ball joint that did not go out after many bangs, it got to be taken out by a puller. but anyway, its an alternative and wont damage your suspension

Wait up, the "engineer" pounded the carrier with a hammer to remove the ball joints? YIKES! I would rather have seen him use the ball joint puller at about 30 seconds a piece to remove the ball joint studs from the mounts. Wonder if he hammers off the balancer after removing the crank nut? On a lighter note, how much was all the bushings replaced? Mine is about due, a little shimmy at speed and a light clunk over big bumps from the front end.