90,000 Service Again Revisited

geoffpruett

Here we go again. I have read virtually every post concerning the 90k sevice on the forum. I have a 2003 LX, and have had virtually no issues with it ever. I have done some of the oil changes when time would not allow me to go the the local Oklahoma city dealer, Eskridge Lexus, but no way do I feel qualified to do the big stuf! I would appreciate input as to what to ask for concerning the 90k service. Did you all replace idler pulleys, water pump, serpentine belt, etc. etc.? Any and all input would be appreciated. Also what ballpark figure should I expect as to cost. Thanks in advance.

Here we go again. I have read virtually every post concerning the 90k sevice on the forum. I have a 2003 LX, and have had virtually no issues with it ever. I have done some of the oil changes when time would not allow me to go the the local Oklahoma city dealer, Eskridge Lexus, but no way do I feel qualified to do the big stuf! I would appreciate input as to what to ask for concerning the 90k service. Did you all replace idler pulleys, water pump, serpentine belt, etc. etc.? Any and all input would be appreciated. Also what ballpark figure should I expect as to cost. Thanks in advance.

Definitely replace the water pump and serp belt. Get the pre-mixed toyota red coolant since dealers use tap water w/ the self mix stuff...minerals in the tap water are BAD on the radiator!! You'll need 4 gal. IIRC, my dealer wants something like $1.3K for the t-belt replacement only, but they are more expensive than most lexus dealers as they have a monopoly in town. You can also get a Toyota dealer to do the work for probably half that. Water pump is typically billed as 0.5 hrs extra labor plus parts.

• 1 year later...

Hey Geoff,

I also own a 2003 LX and am close to the 90K mile mark..... Do you have any suggestions for me? Where did you take it?

Thanks!

Hey Geoff,

I also own a 2003 LX and am close to the 90K mile mark..... Do you have any suggestions for me? Where did you take it?

Thanks!

I failed to mention but I live Oklahoma also.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife's 2002 LX470 has about 85K on it. We had the water pump, timing belt, serpentine belt and 4 shocks replaced. We asked the dealer to look at the timing pulleys/tensioners to see if they were ok and were not replaced. Here is something we found out last weekend. I have my oil changed at the Big O Tire instead of the dealer. The mechanic called me over and shined a flashlight into the AHC reservoir and it was empty with about half an inch of fluid on the bottom.!

I thought it was because I had the shock setting on sport so I put it back to comfort. I drove it home and put a flashlight against it and it looked empty again. I took the cap off and pulled out the plastic filter and it was empty with half an inch of fluid.! It always looked ok because the bottom half of the reservoir is darker due to staining by the AHC fluid. It was only when the Big O mechanic shined a flashlight into it that you can see it was empty.

It was Sat morning so my wife took it back to Longo Lexus in El Monte, CA. The Service Advisor called me on the phone and said it is never filled to the top. It is always half full to the middle where the seam for the reservoir comes together. I explained to him that it only looks half full because the bottom is darker due to staining by the AHC fluid. He tried to explain and argue again. I asked him to please have a mechanic check. My wife called back in 5 min to tell me the mechanic came out and said it was empty.

The reason they gave is that they didn't bleed the system when they replaced the shocks a month ago. I hope there is no damage to the shocks. Now I am wondering if Longo even checked the pulleys and tensioners for the timing belt!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up my 98 LX470 today from 3 days of the 90k service and almost depleted my income tax check.....

Timing belt, water pump, thermostat changed.

Flushed and replaced coolant, transmission and all transfer case fluid

Lubed drive shafts

Thottle body cleaned

Changed A/C filter and engine air filter

Flushed and replaced AHC fluid

Sterling McCall Lexus of Houston = $2500 :o

I just did the timing belt, waterpump, idlers, and serpentine belt on my daughters Toyota Sequoia (same engine as in the Lexus) Took me 5.6 hours and cost me $240 dollars in parts. Just for everybodies info, the belt was really limp (105k miles), the idlers were fine, but I changed them anyway. The Water pump was fine. The serpentine belt idler was noisey, and the fan support bearing was noisey. Interesting engine, found nothing difficult, just a lot of parts to remove. I suspect the waterpump and belt would have been sufficient, but the big v-8 seems much harder on the timing belt than my RX300. At the same mileage the RX300 belt looked and felt brand new. By the way Toyota quoted me best price of $490 to change the timing belt alone....

I just did the timing belt, waterpump, idlers, and serpentine belt on my daughters Toyota Sequoia (same engine as in the Lexus) Took me 5.6 hours and cost me $240 dollars in parts. Just for everybodies info, the belt was really limp (105k miles), the idlers were fine, but I changed them anyway. The Water pump was fine. The serpentine belt idler was noisey, and the fan support bearing was noisey. Interesting engine, found nothing difficult, just a lot of parts to remove. I suspect the waterpump and belt would have been sufficient, but the big v-8 seems much harder on the timing belt than my RX300. At the same mileage the RX300 belt looked and felt brand new. By the way Toyota quoted me best price of $490 to change the timing belt alone....

Damn I should have come to your house to get mine done!!

For a fellow Texan I would have done it....(born in el paso) of course it would have required a beer or two....

Hah that's no problem. That is how I get my dad to come fix things around the house. I have a 12 pack waiting!!