'01 Or Try For Later Model

alexander k

Are there issues with the first model of the LS 430?

There is one for sale by a Lexus dealer with low miles and great condition for a good price.

or should i spend a few grand more and get a later model? I know the transmission changed in '04.

Should I just go for That model?

Alexander

Well if you own a Maybach 57 I'm going to guess money's not too much of an issue ;)

Personally I'd try and get an '04+ only because I think they made some changes in '04 that made the LS430 a much more attractive car. I'd rather have a 98-00 LS400 than an 01-03 LS430 honestly.

I am in total agreement with the above poster. The 01 had some issues. Just look the tsbs on the car and you will see. I have a 1998 and have no complaint great cars. The problems the 98 has are wear and tear after ten years on the road. I would buy a 2004 if the fuel pump tsb has been fixed or is not applicable or the 98-2000 which are bulletproof cars by all accounts. The 2001 I would buy it if it has low price, miles and an impeccable maintenance record to go with. I would pay no more than 9,000.00 for a 2001. If they want 15, or 20 thousand they are just trying to pull a fast one. But as usual there are others that would disagree and you need to see the reasons they have to validate their claims, mine are problems reflected on investigations I made on the net.

CPR

Are there issues with the first model of the LS 430?

There is one for sale by a Lexus dealer with low miles and great condition for a good price.

or should i spend a few grand more and get a later model? I know the transmission changed in '04.

Should I just go for That model?

Alexander

The maybach is the little ladies car too boring. I also have an older Q45 which is really fun to drive.

I agree on both previous posts. Having owned a 2003 (same body style as 2001) and now an 05, the appearance of the 05 is MUCH better (headlights, tail lights, wheels, exhaust). I also like the transmission in the newer models better, and they made some other misc. improvements. Love the keyless entry and start too.

I'd definitely go for an '04 to '06.

I was in a similar situation a few months ago. It came down to an '01 with higher miles or a 98-00 with lower miles. For me, after the comparison, the '01 was a no brainer. There are a lot of features that you'll be missing out on in a 98-00. My '01 has 101k miles and still drives like a dream; no problems... and the nav is easily upgraded unlike the previous models. You'll be fine with either one, but i definitely think you'll be happier in an LS430.

Styling points aside; the 3 big things that the first gen LS430 doesn't have are the backup camera; keyless go and bluetooth integration. The 6 speed transmission seems to be more academic; nobody in the motoring press seems to notice much difference in performance between the 5 and 6 speed autobox.

The TSBs for the '01 LS are mostly for noise; a noisy windshield gasket; a noisy steering column; and a striker plate that doesn't close sometimes in the trunk. I know my car had the steering column replaced and the striker adjusted; I've not had any issues. None of the other issues seem to apply to my car (it's a late production '01). None of these issues are real deal breakers; and I'm sure a Lexus dealer could tell you if they apply to your particular car. The early '04 cars do have a transmission and fuel pump recall however.

I haven't had any issues with my '01, but I think my next LS will be an '05 or '06 UL LS430 in Flint Mica... :):pirate:

So far the LS430 seems to be holding its value better than the LS400; but it may be because the 430 has many more gizmos and gadgets; also factory nav was more popular.

I was in a similar situation a few months ago. It came down to an '01 with higher miles or a 98-00 with lower miles. For me, after the comparison, the '01 was a no brainer. There are a lot of features that you'll be missing out on in a 98-00. My '01 has 101k miles and still drives like a dream; no problems... and the nav is easily upgraded unlike the previous models. You'll be fine with either one, but i definitely think you'll be happier in an LS430.