Foam Strip Between Rad & Condensor

eatingupblacktop

Was changing the air filter on my '91 last night when I noticed particle debris throughout that area. Found the strip of foam between the rad & condenser is disintegrating. It actually falls apart to the touch. Is that strip necessary? Lexus says it's there to provide a buffer between them so they don't bang each other and not to worry but to keep an eye on it. I don't see that as an issue because there's more than 3/4" gap. I'm thinking more of airflow sneaking through the gap and reducing the rad's cooling capacity. Anyone else had this issue?

Was changing the air filter on my '91 last night when I noticed particle debris throughout that area. Found the strip of foam between the rad & condenser is disintegrating. It actually falls apart to the touch. Is that strip necessary? Lexus says it's there to provide a buffer between them so they don't bang each other and not to worry but to keep an eye on it. I don't see that as an issue because there's more than 3/4" gap. I'm thinking more of airflow sneaking through the gap and reducing the rad's cooling capacity. Anyone else had this issue?

"strip necesary..."

Not in Canada nor likely in my area..maybe...Phoenix or Tucson in August.

"strip necesary..."

Not in Canada nor likely in my area..maybe...Phoenix or Tucson in August.

Thanks for the reply ww. I've searched through the previous threads and it seems that it's there to prevent crap from getting in the space between the two rads and direct airflow as I thought. Guess I'll just keep an eye on my temps. BTW, it can get pretty hot in Toronto in the summer.

WW, I've given this a bit more thought. See what you think. If the foam is removed, some of the airflow once through the condenser can now escape through the gap where there's no more foam. If so, then in hot weather with the a/c on, this would mean some of the heat from the condenser would be diverted from going through the rad. This in turn should lessen the load for the rad. Is it possible this makes sense? If it does then the only reason for the foam would be to keep debris from entering through the gap and piling up behind the condenser.

Mine was completely shredded for the 3 years and over 50k miles I had my LS, with no noticable ill effects. I too always wondered what that thing was for, but could never figure it out. We drove that car to Key West, Hershey PA and all over the south east in the dead of summer, with zero problems.