Loose Sensors And Starter Woes

lexinva

Bought a new-to-me 98 LS400 a couple weeks ago, good deal, dealer maintained with all records, one owner car with 130K miles. Has a few issues that need to be worked out, mainly

1) When transfering my license plates over the bolt on the front wouldn't come out- seems like it's turning inside the bumper. I tried to get behind it and the bolt goes though the plastic into an actual metal bumper, which seems solid on all sides. I can't figure out how to get at it.

2) While looking for access in the above problem, I noticed a loose sensor lying on the inside front bumper cover, just below the cooling fans. It's still attached to the wiring harness, but that's all that is holding it onto the car. I don't know if it is an airbag sensor or a temp sensor, but I would love to be able to find out where it goes in order to reinstall it.

3) Starter. :( Twice now in 1,000 miles the starter has failed to engage. When turning the key you can hear it spin but the motor does not turn over. After 2-3 turns of the key it will engage and start normally. Does this sound like the typical starter problem? I'm not hearing the "one click", only the starter motor spinning. Assuming it will require replacement sooner rather than later, can someone give me a ballpark figure?

HI;

The sensor I do not know what it is and other members will address it soon enough, but the starter thing is real and is going out of business. They are couple of ways to fix it. The dealer about a 1000.00, an independant about 500.00 and your self about 300.00 or less. If you are not the the mechanic type go with the second. If I were you I would start reading on what you need in the parts department and start choosing between a rebuild, a new part from Lexus or a replacement; they can be obtained as cheap as 200.00 at Advance Auto and others. You want to put the best part possible because of the hard-to-get procedure to replace the said part. If you are thinking on an after market part, get one with lifetime warranty that way if it breaks before its time you only have to worry about taking it out. Nicodenso replacements have been said to be of pretty good quality. I would get one the is exactly as the OEM, that way no cables or mods have to be performed. Call the dealer and see what they quote, or try a Toyota dealer and compare it, it should be close to an Avalon, (but not quite), so they should know how to do it.

CPR

HI;

The sensor I do not know what it is and other members will address it soon enough, but the starter thing is real and is going out of business. They are couple of ways to fix it. The dealer about a 1000.00, an independant about 500.00 and your self about 300.00 or less. If you are not the the mechanic type go with the second. If I were you I would start reading on what you need in the parts department and start choosing between a rebuild, a new part from Lexus or a replacement; they can be obtained as cheap as 200.00 at Advance Auto and others. You want to put the best part possible because of the hard-to-get procedure to replace the said part. If you are thinking on an after market part, get one with lifetime warranty that way if it breaks before its time you only have to worry about taking it out. Nicodenso replacements have been said to be of pretty good quality. I would get one the is exactly as the OEM, that way no cables or mods have to be performed. Call the dealer and see what they quote, or try a Toyota dealer and compare it, it should be close to an Avalon, (but not quite), so they should know how to do it.

CPR

Thanks- I'm going to get a quote Monday from an Indy repair shop that specializes in Lexus. Then I'll decide how important it is- since it has not happened in a week now. (fingers crossed)