Plastic Alternator Cover

tansupplyman

The cover shown here was made from a one gal plastic jug.

Remove existing alt. cover-use those 2 screws [w/ large washers] and drill and tap the alum. housing (near the alt mount) for another screw and large washer.

Doesn't show--but let the bottom of the jug lap over at the back of the alternator [about 2 "]

post-13-1070248962.jpg

This is going to sound stupid since this is such a really good idea for such a common problem.

By having the cover go over the alternator to protect it from the steering pump .You have now reduced the air flow to the alternator causnig it to have a large amount of heat that the internal and external fan can no longer disapate.

Just as a thought it might be better to make a catch for the pump rather than sheild the alternator.

A really great idea and it looks way more professional than what it really is.

It is hard to see but there is about 1/4" from the TOP of the fins to the cover; this alt. has holes all over it, all around and in the front and in the back !!! Never seen one with so many holes !!!! I even had to cover it when I pressure washed the engine---very unlike any car I have ever had--but I have never had a Lexus before[mainly BMW's]. Would probably have done this just for washing the engine. There is still lots of air intake room.

The HOT ROD 100 amp unit being sold is almost solid all over.

Anyway, I wouldn't have done it except the thing stopped putting out and I had to remove it for repair---the rotor wore out !!!! was down about a 1/4" all the way around-where brushes contact !!!! so had to have a new rotor and brush set. Didn't even know about the dripping of the power steering until I read it here, but it sure could happen.

Really what upset me was that the alt lite on the dash never did come on[it is 'on' before a crank !!]--don't know why!???