Lexus Link Removal

Ezgoin

Im contemplating not having the free Lexus Link removal done on my 02 LS-430. What are the pros and cons involved with this?

My wife dosn't want to lose the message record option, and from what I've heard, this feature will go away with the Lexus Link system if you have it removed. I don't mind the inital Lexus Link recording that comes on at start up, even though it has always stated that my "Lexus Link Is Active", even though it has never been activated. Any comments?

I had mine removed about a year ago - it's sketchy reception (being an analog system) drove me nuts. They replaced the buttons with a decent sized fold down sunglass holder. If the wife needs a message recorder, there are a lot of small digital voice recorders out there that could easily be left in the car - some small enough to be concealed in the flip down ashtray cover.

I'm right there with you (on the fence that is).

The pro of not having it done are you keep the buttons should someone somewhere invent an aftermarket system that plugs into the existing wiring harness. The cons are that you have to listen to the message every time you start the car.

The plug is a big white plug near the nav unit; if you want to take apart the harness you can just unplug it (it goes in at the same junction point the portable phone would go in). This would deactivate the unit; you would probably loose the ability to record and the lights on the panel would no longer go on. If I can find the photo I'll post it.

I think they just unplug it and replace the sunglass holder cover with one that does not have the buttons (or they could replace the whole roof console who knows). I don't think they actually remove the ECU.

Anybody who's had this done have any details? I think the deadline is end of this month.

Im contemplating not having the free Lexus Link removal done on my 02 LS-430. What are the pros and cons involved with this?

My wife dosn't want to lose the message record option, and from what I've heard, this feature will go away with the Lexus Link system if you have it removed. I don't mind the inital Lexus Link recording that comes on at start up, even though it has always stated that my "Lexus Link Is Active", even though it has never been activated. Any comments?

Update: here's the pic. the connector is the one with the X...the part attached to the car is the connector to the speakers in the car; the connector to the right/top of it is the one with Lexus Link system and the connector to the stereo.

post-19665-1203404430_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

I just bought a 2001 LS430 which did not have the Lexus Link system disabled. Got tired of the messages when starting the car in a hurry, and this forum was a great help resolving everything. I know this is an old subject, but there may be quite a few who find themselves in my situation- new owner with and old problem. I looked around the forum quite a bit and hope this is the right and most current place to post. I just want to add a few points that may help.

The photo above of the two white connectors is very good. If you lift out the bottom trunk cover, then remove the smaller cover on the right side, they are right there. I tried to just disconnect the one connector with the "X" on it, but when I turned the key back on, I still got the same Lexus Link messages. The service bulletin from Lexus (also on this forum-thank you) says you have to disconnect both white connectors and reroute one under the bracket into the other, but the diagram pictures and explanation are fairly poor. Here's what worked for me:

-the white connectors have a push down tab. I held the tab down with a finger and pried them apart with a small screwdriver.

-pry apart both white connectors. You will now have 4 leads, two male and two female.

- you can think of the 4 leads as left front and rear and right front and rear, as you are facing into the trunk.

-bring the right rear lead under the bracket, turn it around to face backward, and plug it into the left rear lead. There is some slack and be careful not to pull around too much on the audio wires.

-the left front and right front leads are now no longer used. I put electrical tape around each and just left them.

No more messages.

This should take about 8 minutes to do and save you from the dealer, if you can find one who still knows how to do it.