Rough Downshift

AustinGT

Got a quick question... When my '92 is slowing down and the engine is totally warmed up, I can feel and hear the tranny downshift from 3rd to 2nd with a moderate clunk. It only happens when I am gradually slowing, and the engine is at hot idle which is around 600 rpm. When the engine is colder and is idling higher, everything is fine. Upshifts at any speed and temperature are smooth, and the downshifting in the other gears when hot is fine as well, it is only between those gears when warmed up. I was hoping to find out if this is a major problem or what... Thanks very much in advance!

p.s. I have been draining and filling the fluid, and did the third round last weekend, plus the fluid was changed by the dealer (rip off!) 18k ago, plus it is pretty clear and doesn't smell burned.

217,000 miles, not sure about the condition of the u-joints, although I have the car checked regularly by the shop... Would they make noise as the transmission works down through the gears? What confuses me is that it doesn't always make the subtle clunk... only at times. I have heard that the LS transmission is pretty durable provided the fluid is kept fresh, and I drive like someone much older than my age to take it easy on the car!

217,000 miles, not sure about the condition of the u-joints, although I have the car checked regularly by the shop... Would they make noise as the transmission works down through the gears? What confuses me is that it doesn't always make the subtle clunk... only at times. I have heard that the LS transmission is pretty durable provided the fluid is kept fresh, and I drive like someone much older than my age to take it easy on the car!

With everything warmed up to operational temperature, with your foot FIRMLY on the brake and with the engine at idle, shift back and forth between drive and reverse several times allowing enough time, a few seconds in each gear, for things to "seattle", set. If you hear the "clunk" then its almost a sure bet that at least one of the u-joints is failing/marginal.