Sound Insulation

<_< Has anyone added sound insulation to a RX330 or 350? I have been thinking about adding some sound reducing panels in the 4 doors and rear quarter panel on my RX350 to reduce the noise level. I also feel it would give the doors that "quality thunk" noise when closed and make the panels feel heavy reducing that tin feeling. I would think the radio would sound better as well. If any one has please let me know, and included what brand insulation was used. Door panel removal pictures would also be great.

<_< Has anyone added sound insulation to a RX330 or 350? I have been thinking about adding some sound reducing panels in the 4 doors and rear quarter panel on my RX350 to reduce the noise level. I also feel it would give the doors that "quality thunk" noise when closed and make the panels feel heavy reducing that tin feeling. I would think the radio would sound better as well. If any one has please let me know, and included what brand insulation was used. Door panel removal pictures would also be great.

I guess I must have gotten a good one because I think my 350 is plenty quiet and the doors sound solid when you close them. The only thing that bothers me as far as noise is the engine noise upon start up on cold days. Sounds like a truck.

Just curious though, what brand of tires do you have?

Dynamat.

I guess I must have gotten a good one because I think my 350 is plenty quiet and the doors sound solid when you close them. The only thing that bothers me as far as noise is the engine noise upon start up on cold days. Sounds like a truck.

I have Mich. MXV4 not Goodyear. The car is louder than my Benz or Jag. the doors seem thin. What brand car did you have before your Lexus?

I have found that people that move from Honda, Toyota, Subaru and Ford think the lexus is quiet. But others that move from true luxury brands find it to be louder and a little thin bodied. The RX was 10-15K less than a BMW X5 or MB 350ML thats why I purchased it. I also like the shape of the car. I guess you get what you pay for. I got a quote from a local radio shop to install sound mats in all doors and rear panels for $600.

I have Mich. MXV4 not Goodyear. The car is louder than my Benz or Jag. the doors seem thin. What brand car did you have before your Lexus?

I have found that people that move from Honda, Toyota, Subaru and Ford think the lexus is quiet. But others that move from true luxury brands find it to be louder and a little thin bodied. The RX was 10-15K less than a BMW X5 or MB 350ML thats why I purchased it. I also like the shape of the car. I guess you get what you pay for. I got a quote from a local radio shop to install sound mats in all doors and rear panels for $600.

I have the same tires also. My other car is a MB CLK 500 and that is very quiet. Before that I had the BMW X5 and the sound is comparable to the Lexux in my opinion. The X5 was in the shop every few months for something minor and got to be very annoying.

I shopped around like you did and was pleasantly surprised at the price tag compared to the ML and the X5. I think it's a bargain.

I would be very interested to hear your opinion after you put the soundproofing in.

Cheers.

After owning a total of 11 differant Lexus models thruout the years, the last 4 have had this thrashing machine engine noise cold, I roadtested a new body style Toyota Hylander and sure enough started it cold and same noise, along wit 4-5 other new Lexus models. Now inquiring about this, Lexus claims it went to a different type injector which is the problem. It seems as they warm up they are ok, years ago I would have said a posibility of lifter bleeddown but due to all the OH cams and ect in this engine would tend to beleive Lexus as it seems not to be dteremental to the engine longivity. :D :D :D

I just posted in a different thread that I was quoted $600 to install mats in the 4 doors, hatch and quarters. Is that a good price? Is it a difficult job?

I wouldn't spend that much money absent a guaranttee that it would result in at least a 10Db noise reduction level at roadway speeds.

And I still say that the outside door skins and rear quarter panel skin are not the source of any significant level of noise nor the incoming "gate" for same.

• 3 weeks later...

:D :D I added Dynamat Extreme to the hatch floor, quarters and the inner and outer door skins. The car is 8db quieter per the db meter I borrowed from the safety guy at work. I tested before on the same road at around the same temp. etc. I purchased 2 bulk packs on ebay for a total of $230.00 including shipping. The local radio shop wanted $600.00. If I count my time as hobby time, then I saved a good chunk of money. The radio sounds better, and the doors are solid, like a German car or better. The passing traffic noise is almost completely gone.