Cleaning And Maintenance Of New Es350

Hey JE--silver ES is looking fine fine fine.

I have a ton of scratches and will be buying a flex to polish out in a few months,) with p21 carnuba 110%, upgp+ they add a gr8 gr8 shine.

scratches hidden a lot and car still shines

I wash (every week, 2 x when pollen was out and car was outside--since in garage 1x a week)

I have used like 20% of the small bottle using 7X over 13 weeks or so. Most 1 coat, 2 coats once and 3 coats two times.

I just wash, dry, wax wheel rims 1 x a month (really helps keep dust brake minimal) than do upgp. (have also used p21 than upgp over it)

I also do wax (carnuba p21 100% 2 X) and sometimes just wash than quik detail spray from ultima

(course a bunch other stuff inside, drying outside wheels ouside etc)

cheers

Hey rtij how's it going, I just ordered a 12 oz. bottle UPGP thinking that 4 oz. was to small and Danase Wet Glaze. So it goes a long way? And how are the results and what do you put under it.

I'm going to wait about a month or so to do my car all over again. Still found some pesky scratches that don't want to go away. :glare:

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rinseless washing --ddoc and others in this thread pointed me to ONR =Optimum NO Rinse - bought from autopia i think

to meet the no car wash usage...I needed a solution for winters when I have no hoses available :o ..bingo ONR

I used it to test, it is gr8!!!! I normally use Ultima car wash..will use ONR in the winter

cheers

Thanks, RJT, I did about the same amount and the shine is certainly outstanding. It's just raining a lot lately around here with the monsoon season. That's a good thing, I'll have to use rinseless washing!

Agreed... amazed at how easy the wax went on and off. no arm aches from hand buffing.

but UPGP is the champ in my book can do whole car in like 5 -7 mins... maybe quicker if you booked. Seems to last longer than wax too.

cheers

P21S is so easy to use you can really do it every wash.

If you like P21S, you should try Pinnacle Souveran ;)

Oh sure, the Ultima will last longer than the wax, P21S is not that long lasting.

I haven't gotten around to using my UPGP yet, what do you think of the look vs the P21S? You can layer the P21S over the UPGP too.

I have tried all ways..Wax over PGP, just wax, just PGP. To be honest the difference is like comparing two of the worlds best wines. They are both great. the wax adds a little more depth, stealing ddoc words there) but i think the upgp adds more reflective glass shine.

Since garaging i found my wax lasting much better (PGP too), than when I had it outside 24 x7 (pollen season was terrible and it rained for like 40 out of 60 days it seemed. The UPGP held up much better than wax. constant hosing down rewashing etc. And sun on the black is a heat maker to bake!

Note : I did buy the older version wax (P21S) versus the newer P21S100% which DDOC told is better and lasts longer. Still the P21S is by far the best carnuba i ever used (meguire, mothers others). Goes on like butter and never an issue to get off. I started putting P21S carnuba on rims, I have not had to use my P21S wheel cleaner since (over 2 months), ~85% less brake dust sticking and I just clean off with left over car wash and EZ brush.

I will continue to use both and will always have a carnuba wax (might try 100% or pinnacle next) but if I had to chose the shine and ease of application. UPGP is my #1.

Let us know in this thread when you use PGP, your thoughts.

cheers

Oh sure, the Ultima will last longer than the wax, P21S is not that long lasting.

I haven't gotten around to using my UPGP yet, what do you think of the look vs the P21S? You can layer the P21S over the UPGP too.

It all depends on the look you're looking for, I prefer a deeper shine on darker cars which is why I don't use Zaino...

Hopefully I'll have some time and can try it out!

I haven't applied the Carnuba to the paint yet, put what I did notice in the UPGP is that the flecks in the paint really stand out a lot more in the smokey granite, I like it. I'll compare that to when I apply the nuba and see if the flecks still stand out with the added "depth." I am hoping it'll ook even better.

DDOC, I have an easy question... I bought the 4 Oz. bottle of the UPGP as opposed to the 12 Oz. to give it a try. The directions say to apply two pumps to prime the applicator and then one pump to apply. Then when no product gets applied to the surface any longer, use another pump. Well, the sprayer on the 4 Oz. bottle is so small compared to the 12 Oz. one, I think I may have under applied. With all the talk about not wanting to over do it, I may have not done much at all... I applied three times after letting cure for 12+ hours each time, but was it enough? How can I test to see if it was enough?

Any different recommendations?

As RJT65 mentioned, this stuff goes a long way, so the way you did it should be fine. Because it is a clear sealant, it is common for people to think that they did not apply enough, when in fact they did.

DDOC: can u recommend some fine little detail brushes for cleaning out wax etc from molding?

assume autopia or one of the usual as the place to get or other?

I use the ones from Autopia and they work fine: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/mbm-br-296.html and http://www.autopia-carcare.com/mbm-296.html. I like to spray some QD directly on the area to be cleaned to make it easier to remove the wax or polish residue and decrease the chances of marring the paint.

arrghh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DDOC: This is a formal request for SW to ban u from posting in this thread. B)

Every time you post i place an order with some website. I re-read the posts and decided __IT...

I still need to buy the flex and pads, but wanted the 2.99 brush to clean out a speck of wax in my molding, bucks I can swing (3 bux i can do that) than said may as well get more ultima wash (20$) , and heck since i luv the Upgp, invest in the mega bottle(75$ buttt keep me warm at night knowing i have this supply!) then i re-read my saved doc on polishing from this thread and elsewhere, and since i got the 15% summer autopia discount might as well get the polish(10 bux each bottle) , but ppp (30$) might do the job if not, good to have for the future (plus i need to do wifes truck too) so get all 3 and add in the magic clay lube.($$ who cares at this point--must have product!)

I also revisited the camaro u posted made me press the order key.

Item Unit Price Qty. Cost

Crack & Crevice Detail Brush [remove] $2.99 $2.99need to do my wifes truck)

Ultima Paint Guard Wash [remove] $20.00 $20.00

Ultima Paint Guard Plus, 12 oz. [remove] $75.00 $75.00

Clay Magic Perfect Finish Kit [remove] $14.99 $14.99

Sonus SFX-2 Enhance Swirl Remover Polish [remove] $10.00 $10.00

Sonus SFX-3 Final Finish Polish [remove] $10.00 $10.00

Ultima Paint Prep Plus Pre-wax Polish [remove] $30.00 $30.00

just added sonus der wunder buffing towels..,... as an add on... must stop!

arrghh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every time you post i place an order with some website. I re-read the posts and decided __IT...

I still need to buy the flex and pads, but wanted the 2.99 brush to clean out a speck of wax in my molding, bucks I can swing (3 bux i can do that) than said may as well get more ultima wash (20$) , and heck since i luv the Upgp, invest in the mega bottle(75$ buttt keep me warm at night knowing i have this supply!) then i re-read my saved doc on polishing from this thread and elsewhere, and since i got the 15% summer autopia discount might as well get the polish(10 bux each bottle) , but ppp (30$) might do the job if not, good to have for the future (plus i need to do wifes truck too) so get all 3 and add in the magic clay lube.($$ who cares at this point--must have product!)

arrghh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha! It happens to me all the time. My only recommendation is, do not clay until you are ready to polish with the Flex, as claying will definitely induce marring.

The first time I went through this thread, I didn't see the Camaro pics. I just saw them last night. Holy crap! That was amazing! I had to forward them to a couple of friends who were trying to talk me out of buying all the stuff saying I was wasting my money. When they saw the pics, they backed off quite a bit.

Soooo, I just took the plunge. It took me 4 days to finally feel comfortable that I had everything I needed in my cart. Adding and dropping items (mostly adding) and I pushed the Submit Order button. Autopia and Autogeek split $800+ of my hard earned cash. I figured I'd get everything at once including the Flex. Kind of like ripping a bandaid off all at once rather than pulling off a little bit at a time I guess!

Even so, I'm so excited, I can't wait to get started!!! These next 3-5 business days are going to go by slowly.

First of all, I want to thank everyone for the wealth of information that is in this thread. I've never detailed before and was pretty apprehensive to try as it seemed overwhelming. Then I read this thread (twice through now) and now I'm excited to get started. I "took advantage" of the dealer car washes and now have swirl/light scratches which show quite nicely on the Obsidian paint which I need to fix but is the only real problem I have.

Here's what I have so far in my cart and just want to run it past you guys to see what I'm missing.

Sonus Perfect Leather Interior Kit

Sonus Tire & Wheel Care Kit

Ultima Paint Guard Wash

Ultima Paint Guard Plus, 12 oz.

Sonus Der Wunder Drying Towel, Pkg/2

Sonus SFX Detail Clay Bundle

Ultima Interior Guard Plus, 12 oz.

Sonus Der Wunder Wash Mitt

Sonus Professional Bucket

add'l 5 gallon bucket

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine, 32 oz

Also, I was thinking about getting the Flex XC3401 VRG.

1) Many places offer this as a kit. LINK Does it make sense to get the kit, or should I get the pads separately? And if separately, which pads should I get?

2) There were a number of people on various forums that were talking about having issues with the backing plate. I.E. LINK There was a solution mentioned which included oiling the felt ring after removing the backing plate. Has anyone here experienced this problem and did the solution work for you?

Lastly (for now) I've seen a number of videos which show the person using a foam gun to presoak. Is this something that is a good thing to have or is it unnecessary?

Thanks!

List looks good. Just one recommendation, instead of using the yellow side of the sonus applicator for applying the leather cleaner, I recommend you go to your local hardware store and buy a grout sponge. Shake the bottle, apply the cleaner to the grout sponge and squeeze to create a foam. Foam is a better and safer way to clean leather as supposed to scrubbing it with that harsh applicator. Regarding the Flex, that kit is nice, I would get it. Regarding the backing plate, the new Flex comes with a new backing plate that solves the old issue. I have it, use it a lot and never had a problem with it. Regarding the foam guns, save your money. Foam guns do not really add much, especially since the Ultima Paint Guard Wash already produces a lot of suds and great lubricity. Foam guns are really a gimmick, if you are going to get something like that it is better to invest in a pressure washer with a foam cannon attachment, that will cover your car completely as if with snow, but those are hundreds of dollars and you have to know how to use them or risk damaging your paint. Stick to the 2 bucket system, rinsing your sponge often and you will be fine. I mean, you can get the foam gun for like $65 if you want, but like I said, it won't do much. I also recommend this brush for your wheels: http://store.pakshak.com/ez-detail-auto-brush.html

u r da man... of course i would never clay without polishing (and with machine) DDOC law #52 or so... I put together a 50 page word doc (and my super spreadsheet) with a lot of info from u and this thread. some off autopia etc.

I just figured to buy some supplies now, and now I am getting itchy to get flex sooner than the fall to kill the scratches.

wanted to wait for after the road work (one month late) starting this week. Should take 3-5 months. But I am thinking polish now eradicate scratches and if i get some due to all the work, polish again 5-6 months later.

so as I am also ordering new apple IMAC (family computer replacement had it with windows ) and IPOD. I am thinking maybe to wait on flex another month or 2. But with it staring at me, the 3 polishes staring at me day after day ...i will crack i am sure!!

:cheers:

thanks again... sensei DDOC :ph34r:

arrghh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha! It happens to me all the time. My only recommendation is, do not clay until you are ready to polish with the Flex, as claying will definitely induce marring.

Good luck u r the guy who says just jump in the water when it is freezing. :lol:

Why were ur budd's telling u u rwere wasting $$$?

So after they see your car and BEG you to do theirs get like a year of free beer from em!! :cheers:

post some before pix and afgter if u got em...

The first time I went through this thread, I didn't see the Camaro pics. I just saw them last night. Holy crap! That was amazing! I had to forward them to a couple of friends who were trying to talk me out of buying all the stuff saying I was wasting my money. When they saw the pics, they backed off quite a bit.

Soooo, I just took the plunge. It took me 4 days to finally feel comfortable that I had everything I needed in my cart. Adding and dropping items (mostly adding) and I pushed the Submit Order button. Autopia and Autogeek split $800+ of my hard earned cash. I figured I'd get everything at once including the Flex. Kind of like ripping a bandaid off all at once rather than pulling off a little bit at a time I guess!

Even so, I'm so excited, I can't wait to get started!!! These next 3-5 business days are going to go by slowly.

u r da man... of course i would never clay without polishing (and with machine) DDOC law #52 or so... I put together a 50 page word doc (and my super spreadsheet) with a lot of info from u and this thread. some off autopia etc.

I just figured to buy some supplies now, and now I am getting itchy to get flex sooner than the fall to kill the scratches.

wanted to wait for after the road work (one month late) starting this week. Should take 3-5 months. But I am thinking polish now eradicate scratches and if i get some due to all the work, polish again 5-6 months later.

so as I am also ordering new apple IMAC (family computer replacement had it with windows ) and IPOD. I am thinking maybe to wait on flex another month or 2. But with it staring at me, the 3 polishes staring at me day after day ...i will crack i am sure!!

:cheers:

thanks again... sensei DDOC :ph34r:

Haha! That's great.

Wow! You went big on your first purchase. You are way deep in the dark side now.

Good luck u r the guy who says just jump in the water when it is freezing. :lol:

Why were ur budd's telling u u rwere wasting $$$?

So after they see your car and BEG you to do theirs get like a year of free beer from em!! :cheers:

post some before pix and afgter if u got em...

They were saying that because they hadn't seen all the before and after pics of everyone's cars like I did ;)

Wow! You went big on your first purchase. You are way deep in the dark side now.

I'm not going to lie, there was a lot of rationalizing going on...

Gee, sorry I started this post. But, you all have to take responsibility for yourselves here!!!! :) But ddoc and SW03 got us all hooked if you ask me. I should have bought stock in Autopia or Pashak!!!! <_< Oh well! But it is fun kind of...even though I spent 1 1/2 doing the detail thing (just the outside with the UPGP). Looks great but one downside to this, you see every paint chip and nick! Argh! :angry: Keep up the great post. Hey SW03ES monitor...is this the best post going or what!!! Whew, who would have thunk!!!!

Gee, sorry I started this post. But, you all have to take responsibility for yourselves here!!!! :) But ddoc and SW03 got us all hooked if you ask me. I should have bought stock in Autopia or Pashak!!!! <_< Oh well! But it is fun kind of...even though I spent 1 1/2 doing the detail thing (just the outside with the UPGP). Looks great but one downside to this, you see every paint chip and nick! Argh! :angry: Keep up the great post. Hey SW03ES monitor...is this the best post going or what!!! Whew, who would have thunk!!!!

Yeap, UPGP greatly enhances the underlying paint structure, which is why it makes the flakes pop like crazy, but will also highlight the swirls. Sealants generally do that, but especially UPGP, this is why it is highly recommended to have a properly polished vehicle prior to applying a sealant. Just wait 'til you polish your vehicle and reapply UPGP, it will blow you away.

[???? 1.5 with UPGP+ what 1.5 hours?

confused or do u mean 1.5 days with the 12 hour cures?

cheerio

quote name=JGTNewLexusOwner' date='Jul 12 2008, 11:02 PM' post='319151]

Don't be sorry, I'm very glad you started it! Like I said before, I had always wanted to detail my car but felt overwhelmed before when I tried to learn about it. It sounds so stupid now. I think I have picked up a decent beginner's understanding and I don't know why I felt that way before. This thread made me feel much more comfortable as the position that you were in months ago is what I was in a couple of weeks ago.

I've read this thread through 3 times now and everytime I do, I pick up a few things that I missed before. The best thing about it is that since you guys have been going back and forth with the discussions for months now, I don't have to wait for answers, they're already there.

One order arrives Wednesday, the other arrives Friday! The funny thing is that even though I've never done a single detailing myself in my life, I'm already getting requests from friends to do their cars. Hmmm, maybe I should practice my skills on their cars first and THEN do mine ;)