Cleaning And Maintenance Of New Es350

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice job Now you will get the requests to do your friends! ...gr8 pix

Dad's day is the detailing day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started on Friday night, wash, 3 layers of Ultima Paint Guard Plus, P12Wax, 2 layers of Fk#425

Many thanks for all your suggestions, here are some pictures:

Here are the pictures

I have also used Menzerna Products. They are German based and work great. I use the orbital and had great results as an amateur.

How do you clean the wood trim on the inside of the car?

My stearing wheel has small scratch marks from the previous owner's ring. Is there any way to get rid of those tiny scratches...you cannot see them but only feel them on the wood wheel.

Thanks,

Peter

You can use anything on the wood you'd use on the paint, its painted with a clearcoat.

Not much you can do about the ring marks you mention, they're actually little dents in the wood's clearcoat.

I have also used Menzerna Products. They are German based and work great. I use the orbital and had great results as an amateur.

My stearing wheel has small scratch marks from the previous owner's ring. Is there any way to get rid of those tiny scratches...you cannot see them but only feel them on the wood wheel.

Thanks,

Peter

You can use anything on the wood you'd use on the paint, its painted with a clearcoat.

Not much you can do about the ring marks you mention, they're actually little dents in the wood's clearcoat.

Agree! You just have to be careful since the clearcoat on the wood trim is much, much thinner than that on the paint, so you have to polish by hand with a light polish. Menzerna RD works great on the wood trim.

I warned my Wife (has not driven it yet since an initial drive--but she is a big truck gal anyway) to take off her rings should she drive.

I don't like rings (don't even wear my wedding band), so should be good there.

For my interior I have been using the Sonus cockpit bundle weekly/bi-weekly and good MF towel to get off any smudges streaks on wood and good anti-static dust cleaner for my black interior. Use ultima interior guard (every few months).

Sonus works great, for day to day smudges i use my eyeglass cloth to wipe little fingerprints away off wood and my nav screen (I keep one in car for my sunglass smudges) found a use to store it in the ashtray!

From my notes on products:

Sonus Cockpit Cleaner Bundle - 18$ Autopia- bumpers all other Interior dashboard and vinyl

 Use Sonus Cockpit Detailer for weekly dusting when you wash. – vinyl leather

 Use Sonus Total Eclipse monthly for complete protection. Uv protection

Ultima Interior Guard Plus – 12 oz. 50$ autopia -4 oz 25$

 Seals and protects leather, vinyl, plastic, fabric and wood trim, leaving a silky smooth finish.

good luck!

Thanks,

Peter

Detaildoc just did my car today with the Sonus #2 and#3 you recomended with the PC and let me tell you, WOW ! That stuff worked great it brought out one hellofa finish, it looks like it's wet.

Thanks all for the advise and info,I really appreciate your help.

Detaildoc just did my car today with the Sonus #2 and#3 you recomended with the PC and let me tell you, WOW ! That stuff worked great it brought out one hellofa finish, it looks like it's wet.

Cool JE! Gotta post some pics! Hey, you live near ddoc!!!! Wow, can you get his autograph for me! I bet rjt would want it too! Our wives wouldn't though!!!! :lol:

Whoa! I live in Miami and he's in So-Cal, I wish he was in my area I would get his auto. Of course I spend the day busting my butt, get the car perfect and what happens? Go out to dinner and it rains cats and dogs. DAMN!

Oh what the hell I can't do anything about the weather. Still looks good!

Making a list of questions for ddoc, some minor details.

I'll work on the pics JGT.

You're welcomed! Glad it worked out for you. Sonus are great products.

post-70170-1215366959_thumb.jpgpost-70170-1215366971_thumb.jpgpost-70170-1215366993_thumb.jpgpost-70170-1215367193_thumb.jpg

Here you go. It's hard to shine on silver.

Looks great man. Yeah, that color is not the most reflective, but it still looks glossy and wet. If you really want to add more depth and wetness to that color, try Danase Wet Glaze, http://www.danase.com/dapupo.html super easy to apply and remove and looks amazing with UPGP. Now, did you only polish with Sonus or did you add a wax or sealant like Ultima PGP?

First of all, I want to thank everyone for the wealth of information that is in this thread. I've never detailed before and was pretty apprehensive to try as it seemed overwhelming. Then I read this thread (twice through now) and now I'm excited to get started. I "took advantage" of the dealer car washes and now have swirl/light scratches which show quite nicely on the Obsidian paint which I need to fix but is the only real problem I have.

Here's what I have so far in my cart and just want to run it past you guys to see what I'm missing.

Sonus Perfect Leather Interior Kit

Sonus Tire & Wheel Care Kit

Ultima Paint Guard Wash

Ultima Paint Guard Plus, 12 oz.

Sonus Der Wunder Drying Towel, Pkg/2

Sonus SFX Detail Clay Bundle

Ultima Interior Guard Plus, 12 oz.

Sonus Der Wunder Wash Mitt

Sonus Professional Bucket

add'l 5 gallon bucket

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine, 32 oz

Also, I was thinking about getting the Flex XC3401 VRG.

1) Many places offer this as a kit. LINK Does it make sense to get the kit, or should I get the pads separately? And if separately, which pads should I get?

2) There were a number of people on various forums that were talking about having issues with the backing plate. I.E. LINK There was a solution mentioned which included oiling the felt ring after removing the backing plate. Has anyone here experienced this problem and did the solution work for you?

Lastly (for now) I've seen a number of videos which show the person using a foam gun to presoak. Is this something that is a good thing to have or is it unnecessary?

Thanks!

Thanks ddoc. I used Meguiars NXT wax, but you say I can get more depth to the paint? Wow, ok I'll look into that.

Couple of questions, when your finished waxing what do you use to get rid of wax buildup and to even out the wax(if that sounds right), short of washing the car all over again. Quick detailer maybe?

Also, what to use to clean wax,polish off of the soft rubber seals around doors, hood and trunk, whoever owned the car before me left them very bad.

Thanks again.

JE, great pics!! I can see the shine and it looks great! I bet you have had your friends say "gee it looks like glass"! At least that is what a friend of mine said! That stuff works great huh!

Joby, glad to hear this post helped! It definitely helped me...but I hope if you have a significant other, you can handle the dog house (or do what I do, detail her car...she won't appreciate it like you do on your Lexus but it will keep her off your back for a little while...or, like my wife, she will buy more shoes!!!! :rolleyes: ).

DDOC, again, you da man! BUT gee ddoc, you gotta stop bringing up new things.....not that you are wrong or anything, I just can't take the Autopia, Pashak, etc, etc, invoices for new stuff everytime I read your posts :D !!!! And guess what my wife bought me for my 50th birthday a few weeks ago.............a "friggen" cabinet for my garage........for all my detailing stuff!!!! (and I haven't even bought a flex or orbital or anything that elaborate). I showed her the one post where a member (can't remember if it was you ddoc) showed his cabinet full of stuff. I showed her cause I thought is was a little crazy at the time....and she thought I was giving her a message that I wanted it...but I didn't. Ok, Ok...I now am glad she bought it cause I have everything lined up, in alphabetical order, by manufacturer, by date of purchase, by color scheme....ha ha ha (no just kidding to a point... I do have it on shelves by interior/exterior products). Oh well, I am "becoming" a detailing geek! :geek:

Thanks ddoc. I used Meguiars NXT wax, but you say I can get more depth to the paint? Wow, ok I'll look into that.

Couple of questions, when your finished waxing what do you use to get rid of wax buildup and to even out the wax(if that sounds right), short of washing the car all over again. Quick detailer maybe?

Also, what to use to clean wax,polish off of the soft rubber seals around doors, hood and trunk, whoever owned the car before me left them very bad.

Thanks again.

Oh yes, you can get your paint a lot deeper, wetter, and more reflective by using a better quality wax or sealant. NXT is not the greatest and durability is very poor. Another thing I don't like about NXT is that it will really mute the flakes on our metallic paint instead of making them pop. But don't feel bad, NXT was the first wax I tried also. If you like waxes, try P21s 100% or Pinnacle Souveran Paste. Regarding the wax build up, if you are having a build up or difficulty removing it, it is probably because you used too much product. When applying waxes or sealants, a thin application is the rule, as applying a heavy coat does not improve the look, but makes it harder to remove and you end up wasting product. That said, yes a Quick Detailer is a good way to remove excess build up. If the wax or polish was left on rubber seals for a long time, they might already be stained, but you can always give it a try with some P21S Total Auto Wash or using this http://www.autopia-carcare.com/usc-3410.html. Good luck.

JE, great pics!! I can see the shine and it looks great! I bet you have had your friends say "gee it looks like glass"! At least that is what a friend of mine said! That stuff works great huh!

Joby, glad to hear this post helped! It definitely helped me...but I hope if you have a significant other, you can handle the dog house (or do what I do, detail her car...she won't appreciate it like you do on your Lexus but it will keep her off your back for a little while...or, like my wife, she will buy more shoes!!!! :rolleyes: ).

DDOC, again, you da man! BUT gee ddoc, you gotta stop bringing up new things.....not that you are wrong or anything, I just can't take the Autopia, Pashak, etc, etc, invoices for new stuff everytime I read your posts :D !!!! And guess what my wife bought me for my 50th birthday a few weeks ago.............a "friggen" cabinet for my garage........for all my detailing stuff!!!! (and I haven't even bought a flex or orbital or anything that elaborate). I showed her the one post where a member (can't remember if it was you ddoc) showed his cabinet full of stuff. I showed her cause I thought is was a little crazy at the time....and she thought I was giving her a message that I wanted it...but I didn't. Ok, Ok...I now am glad she bought it cause I have everything lined up, in alphabetical order, by manufacturer, by date of purchase, by color scheme....ha ha ha (no just kidding to a point... I do have it on shelves by interior/exterior products). Oh well, I am "becoming" a detailing geek! :geek:

Haha! That's a great gift. Yeah, I believe it was my post showing ONE of my cabinets full of stuff. I have more stuff in there now and in other cabinets. I constantly find new categories and ways in which to organize my supplies, it is just a sick fun addiction man. You should see my e-mail inbox, it has hundreds of invoices from all my purchases. Ok, one more, I don't recommend you try this at home yet, but I just ordered this wax from Phil at Detailers Domain: http://www.detailersdomain.com/index.asp?P...&ProdID=113

Thanks again.

Oh yes, you can get your paint a lot deeper, wetter, and more reflective by using a better quality wax or sealant. NXT is not the greatest and durability is very poor. Another thing I don't like about NXT is that it will really mute the flakes on our metallic paint instead of making them pop. But don't feel bad, NXT was the first wax I tried also. If you like waxes, try P21s 100% or Pinnacle Souveran Paste. Regarding the wax build up, if you are having a build up or difficulty removing it, it is probably because you used too much product. When applying waxes or sealants, a thin application is the rule, as applying a heavy coat does not improve the look, but makes it harder to remove and you end up wasting product. That said, yes a Quick Detailer is a good way to remove excess build up. If the wax or polish was left on rubber seals for a long time, they might already be stained, but you can always give it a try with some P21S Total Auto Wash or using this http://www.autopia-carcare.com/usc-3410.html. Good luck.

Oh boy, here I go getting more. I'm in deep dodo now. :lol: Just kidding.

The wax thing is just like a haze that forms, but comes off after I wash it again. And I use very little wax and still it's to much. Yea and I see the NXT only last maybe 2 weeks at the most, with the harsh sun and the enviroment here at work.

And thanks JGT, It's getting there. But not just yet. :rolleyes:

DDOC, I have an easy question... I bought the 4 Oz. bottle of the UPGP as opposed to the 12 Oz. to give it a try. The directions say to apply two pumps to prime the applicator and then one pump to apply. Then when no product gets applied to the surface any longer, use another pump. Well, the sprayer on the 4 Oz. bottle is so small compared to the 12 Oz. one, I think I may have under applied. With all the talk about not wanting to over do it, I may have not done much at all... I applied three times after letting cure for 12+ hours each time, but was it enough? How can I test to see if it was enough?

Any different recommendations?

AZ.. i too bought small bottle not believing in the power. (man that stuff..uggp, goes a long way) Been using it for 3 months.

Now not answering in place of DDOC but,

when putting it on I usually put to much on, which results in left over streaks where u put too much on.. I wait 12 hours and use MF towel to buff off-very easy.

when putting on u should see some wetness to what u r applying. How did ur car come out?

cheers

quote name='AZ08LexusES' date='Jul 9 2008, 02:19 PM' post='318463']

DDOC, I have an easy question... I bought the 4 Oz. bottle of the UPGP as opposed to the 12 Oz. to give it a try. The directions say to apply two pumps to prime the applicator and then one pump to apply. Then when no product gets applied to the surface any longer, use another pump. Well, the sprayer on the 4 Oz. bottle is so small compared to the 12 Oz. one, I think I may have under applied. With all the talk about not wanting to over do it, I may have not done much at all... I applied three times after letting cure for 12+ hours each time, but was it enough? How can I test to see if it was enough?

DDOC: can u recommend some fine little detail brushes for cleaning out wax etc from molding?

assume autopia or one of the usual as the place to get or other?

AZ.. i too bought small bottle not believing in the power. (man that stuff..uggp, goes a long way) Been using it for 3 months.

when putting it on I usually put to much on, which results in left over streaks where u put too much on.. I wait 12 hours and use MF towel to buff off-very easy.

when putting on u should see some wetness to what u r applying. How did ur car come out?

cheers

It came out great! I just think I might have not done enough. How much did you put on the applicator that caused you to have the streaks?

Hey rtij how's it going, I just ordered a 12 oz. bottle UPGP thinking that 4 oz. was to small and Danase Wet Glaze. So it goes a long way? And how are the results and what do you put under it.

I'm going to wait about a month or so to do my car all over again. Still found some pesky scratches that don't want to go away. :glare:

if u see that gr8 shine u did fine!

Prime with 2-3 sprays and reapply only when i see it drying up upon application. I do not count how much, but I can say since putting car in garage

and applying when it is not in sun..It goes further. (black in sun yah gets hot)

I also sometime just do one coat to give her a shine after a wash.

cheers

cheers

It came out great! I just think I might have not done enough. How much did you put on the applicator that caused you to have the streaks?