Cleaning And Maintenance Of New Es350

Tales of a lunatic new car owner Part I (many more to follow!)

I think I beat ya to detailing JGT! :P So got up early (skipped gym but got enough stretching and aerobic in by servicing my car) and braved 39 degree chill to wash it!

1- Washed (of course the Ultima little plastic spout thing popped off so instead of an ounce 6 ounces went into bucket..beware cheap clear plastic spout inside bottle! used der wunder MF mitt... nice! (tires cleaned first) than dried with der wunder drying towels

2- used Sonus paintwork cleanser- worked well buffed off with polishing der wunder towels--really shined and cleaned it!

3- 1st coat of Ultima paintguard on -around 9AM - (than had to go to work) buttttt

4- snuck out to use the Sonus cockpit bundle 1st cleaner than back in for work

5- than to my horror my landscapers had come to do my spring clean-up--- arrggh my car covered in dust... (Simple MF towel fixed that!)

6- run off to lunch errand at supermarket sooo there I am applying part II of the cockpit bundle in Pathmark parking lot in an exrta wide spot at the end of parking lot. Also this kept my car out of driveway from evil landscapers <_<

7- back on calls on mute applying --the Ultima Interior Guard so doors open still airing out

8- Plan to wait till last moment--about 6:45 7PM to apply the 2nd coat of Paint guard Plus--

9- Carnuba wax goes on Weds in the AM

than rain will come for 40 days again!!!

Thanks for all the help ddoc/JGT and others in this thread!l

Everything looks good, except for #5. USING AN MF OR ANYTHING TO WIPE OFF DIRT IS A NO NO. Doing that, even with a Quick Detailing Spray can scratch the paint. It is a lot safer to hose it down and it won't take that long. Post some pics when you are done.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JGTNLO:

Do you see any scratches in your black Car when you look at certain angles to the sun? How have you washed for the last 3 months--no car wash issues? Mine is not noticable looking straight on, just see a lot of scratches at 45 degree angle.

Alas, my easy cleansing polish (as ddoc stated) did not remove those scratches (curse the damn car wash!)

I luv my car but the Obsidian black will pray on me, making me mad.

I think I will continue my light detailing course, wait a year or so than invest in a porter cable orbiter or equivilent and than polish out the scratches.

Cheers guys

Yeap. That is why I would never get a black car. I am too OCD to deal with a black car. Getting the Porter Cable would be a great investment. It is a great tool, and very safe to use, especially if you stick to Sonus SFX 2 and 3 or Ultima Paint Prep Plus and polish with a white Lake Country Pad, or my favorite for those products, the DAS Green Pad.

JGTNLO:

Do you see any scratches in your black Car when you look at certain angles to the sun? How have you washed for the last 3 months--no car wash issues? Mine is not noticable looking straight on, just see a lot of scratches at 45 degree angle.

Alas, my easy cleansing polish (as ddoc stated) did not remove those scratches (curse the damn car wash!)

I think I will continue my light detailing course, wait a year or so than invest in a porter cable orbiter or equivilent and than polish out the scratches.

Cheers guys

Hey no fair you beat me to it!!!!! Don't forget to post pics. You answered my question about polishing when you told me you had swirls and then ddoc said what you were using...so sounds like you are good!!!!

As to swirls on my car, I have only used the spray car washes....I will never go to a auto car wash that has anything touching my cars paint. Did that with my last car and regretted it; also used cheap crap on my wheels and ruined them on my last car....that is why I started this post. Thanks to ddoc and SW03ES and mrburnikas and others, I won't make that mistake again and I will use good stuff. Now, I am probably not going to ever grow up to be like my hero detaildoc (ha ha), but I want to at least seal the paint and wax the car every so often to make it look good when I want it to. detaildoc is a mad man with his regimen (detaildoc were you in the Army?). Phew, I am not sure I could keep up with that and do my hobby (golf).

On the PC or UDM, I may do that in a year or so also....but right now, I want to do it by hand. But hey rtj, you are now the expert huh (don't forget to post pics). Pretty soon I will have a second hero...you! ha ha!

Too funny. Yeah, I will admit, I am pretty obsessive about my regimen, but so is every single one of us Autopians. Keep reading the Autopia forums and you will be detailing like a pro. How obsessive am I about detailing? Well, here are some pics of my detailing supplies. I got a bunch more in boxes.

post-52361-1207770495_thumb.jpg

post-52361-1207770532_thumb.jpg

post-52361-1207770581_thumb.jpg

post-52361-1207770602_thumb.jpg

post-52361-1207770617_thumb.jpg

post-52361-1207770636_thumb.jpg

post-52361-1207770666_thumb.jpg

post-52361-1207771061_thumb.jpg

yah those swirl-scratchs making me bang my head. thought going to a hand wash (with boars hair brush's only supposedly) would be ok. ah well

So u r only going to seal PG + and wax ?or are u claying polishing (by hand?) than seal wax?

PS - the internal stuff worked well. much different than armor all - no oily residue, the interior guard looked excellent, the anti static cleanser in the sonus pack really did get the dust off. at first when applied I was like this is not getting rid dust on the upper dash by window oh well... than later when came back in dust free.

I am a waffling on wheter i might put on a 3rd coat of paint guard-wax later day, or carnuba in the AM...hmmm

Good luck this weekend post your pix after too...

JGTNLO:

Cheers guys

Hey no fair you beat me to it!!!!! Don't forget to post pics. You answered my question about polishing when you told me you had swirls and then ddoc said what you were using...so sounds like you are good!!!!

As to swirls on my car, I have only used the spray car washes....I will never go to a auto car wash that has anything touching my cars paint. Did that with my last car and regretted it; also used cheap crap on my wheels and ruined them on my last car....that is why I started this post. Thanks to ddoc and SW03ES and mrburnikas and others, I won't make that mistake again and I will use good stuff. Now, I am probably not going to ever grow up to be like my hero detaildoc (ha ha), but I want to at least seal the paint and wax the car every so often to make it look good when I want it to. detaildoc is a mad man with his regimen (detaildoc were you in the Army?). Phew, I am not sure I could keep up with that and do my hobby (golf).

On the PC or UDM, I may do that in a year or so also....but right now, I want to do it by hand. But hey rtj, you are now the expert huh (don't forget to post pics). Pretty soon I will have a second hero...you! ha ha!

Stay away from any type of brushes. Use a high quality wool mitt or Lowe's Grout Sponge by Proline to wash.

thanks for tip, the dusting was lite so i didn't think iIneeded the hose...

I am sooo proud of myself for not losing my mind on the scratches!!! I think my lowering testosterone is positively helping my angst and is mellowing with age!!! :lol:

I will load up my new pix to my gallery in a few moments..It is a sparkling but I am not sure yet if the improvements will be as evident in the new photos versus the old.

PS - The p21 is spectacular!!! like a butter bar firm and went on and off with ease like no other wax I have used before. Having all the paint cleaner, and the 2 coats of PG + on it sure made this waxing my easiest ever !!!

thanks again for the product suggestions, i am hooked both inside and outside the car.

# 2 shine on

#3 - if u look at the pix with rear tail light you can see a tree reflected in the black shine in side in front of the taillight.. thank u Ultima and Sonus!!

will be below cannot seem to get 2 pix in one post today

post-67703-1207772314_thumb.jpg

DDOC-one more ? and gr8 pix!!

hahahaha!! i have all my supplies in my office on top of my homemade Bonsai lighting housing cedarwood light table/stand!!! pile of dirty MF towels der wunder drying towels etc on my floor I plan to wash tonight!

I am trying to figure out where to permanently put them! too many for the old store in the bucket style, plus i still have some inferior stuff for use on my wifes truck hahaha

Do you clean your applicators after every use? think before you said to wash in sink with dish soap. What about your wash mitts?

Too funny. Yeah, I will admit, I am pretty obsessive about my regimen, but so is every single one of us Autopians. Keep reading the Autopia forums and you will be detailing like a pro. How obsessive am I about detailing? Well, here are some pics of my detailing supplies. I got a bunch more in boxes.

JGTNLO:

Cheers guys

OMG!!! I bet you have it alphabetized. The only thing though, what's up with those extension cords all strewn about?

Does Smokey Granite have a clear coat? Any special instructions for that?

Yes, it does have a clearcoat. My car is a smoky granite. Love that color. Follow the same recommendations you have read in this thread.

Thanks, I have been quietly reading these. I am sure after I go through a whole detailing session it will not be as overwhelming. Right now, to start, it seems like a lot! Just got my first order from Autopia today, so this weekend I will do my first attempt!

you guys have pix of your wheels? smokey granite dudes.

2 cars ago I had a charcoal granite Nissan Stanza, than Gold sand maxima, and finally went black!

I dont regret it even with my current scratches! :angry:

Hey here is my Columns and week markers for my list on my car... (yah no excell ssheets) truncated my wrap text and the week columns are in the ssheet to the right of the tasks obviously.

Target Week

1 2 3

Exterior

Wash Body - Ultima Paint Guard Wash w MF mitt -2 derwunder drying towels-2 buckets 1x week X

Wash Tires & Wheels - UPG wash - tire brushes 1x week X

Detail Tires & Wheels - wheel products 2 x Month X

Clean/Polish Glass Wet MF towel inside-SONUS perfect glass bundle green mf applicators 1x week

Detail Vinyl & Rubber Trim -SONUS cockpit bundle w green mf applicator 2 x month

Chrome & Polished Aluminum - Sonus glass and chrome polish (Part of glassbundle) every 6 weeks

Wax

Clay 1 x year

Polish - more abrasive use machine

Cleanse/lite Polish-Ultima Paintwork Cleanser 3x year X

Polymer Sealant -Ultima Paint Guard Plus- USE blue brick applicator 3/4 x year X

Prewax Cleaning

Carnauba Paste/Paste Glaze - P21-S with handi grip foam applicator-buff with MF towels 2 x Month X

Carnauba Cream

Ultima Detail Spray Plus - quick detailing use Buffing MF towel apply-other or flip for buff As Needed

Interior

Vacuum 1 x week x

Shampoo Carpet Annual

Shampoo Floor Mats 2 x year

Clean Leather & Vinyl - Sonus Leather Cleaner-use red-white interior applictor sponge every 6 weeks

Condition Leather & Vinyl - sonus conditioner use red white interior every 6 weeks

Vinyl.plastic rubber- Sonus Cockpit bundle - Sonus anti-static detailer and Eclipse spf-40 uv protection use green mf applicator 1 x month x

Seal interior - Ultima Interior Guard Plus 3-4 x per year x

Spot Clean 1 x week x

Clean nav screen - use warm water on mf towel- non ammonia cleaner only! 2 x month x

Dust Vents & Electronics 2x Month

Engine

Degrease/Wash ?

Rubber Protectant ?

Spray Wax/Engine Shine ?

Wipe Down/Dust ?

Miscellaneous

Treat Door & Trunk Seals 3/4 x year

Detail Door & Trunk Jambs 3/4 x year

Detail Wheel Wells 1 x year

Detail Underbody 1 x year

Looks like a good busy regimen.

Yes, it does have a clearcoat. My car is a smoky granite. Love that color. Follow the same recommendations you have read in this thread.

Thanks, I have been quietly reading these. I am sure after I go through a whole detailing session it will not be as overwhelming. Right now, to start, it seems like a lot! Just got my first order from Autopia today, so this weekend I will do my first attempt!

Nice! What did you order?

OK...ok...ok detaildoc and rtj..............I am not worthy!!!! I am not worthy!!!! (he said on bended knees!!!). God, and I thought my little Excel spreadsheet of the products I was going to buy was anal!!!! LOL!!!! I bet you guys are like the one guy on the Moment of Truth who slept with over 100 women and had a spreadsheet on it (no, wait, I wanna be that guy..ha ha...no just kidding (my wife is standing behind me now).).

Hey AZ, you that anal? I have been called an A-hole but phew, this is amazing! :P

Hey rtj, gr8 pix!!! Thanks for sharing. Now, to make me put you on a pedastal (like I have detaildoc), you have to send pix on the organization schema for your supplies. I would send you mine....but you all know what an old towel hamper looks like (LOL)!

And who would have thunk it that my little post would grow to 10 pages and create detailing monsters like rtj!!!! :rolleyes:

But you have to admit, this has been fun (at least for me and hope you also)!

By the way, rtj, I am not claying at all. Of course when I get up close a personal with my car when I wash it and get ready to use the Ultima Paint Guard, I may change my mind. Also, if I do, I am not going to dry my car before I clay it. I think the water and the lubricant will help ensure that the clay glides across the paint (and doesn't marr it too much).

One very important thing to know about claying if any of you ever decide to do this, if you drop the clay (which can happen easily), it is done, you have to throw it away. Never pick it up, try to clean it and mold it again thinking it will be ok. These things pick up contaminants easily, and if you drop it, it will do just that, then you will be marring the heck out of your paint. Also, mist both the car and the clay with the lube, plenty of it.

DDOC: when would u use Pinnacle Souv. paste versus/over the P21-s carnuba? Switch em up? every month do 1 2 weeks the other 2 weeks later?

I cant wait to see how these products help me get my wifes 4 year old (and in bad need detailing) Expedition back in shape--will let ya know)

RJT, great pics, the car looks great, very reflective and great depth. For your black car I would also recommend Pinnacle Souveran Paste, you will love it.

Ok JGT time for you to change your screen name--to DR. Frankenstein, because you have created a detail monster! you and and DDOC can fight over who is Dr. Frankenstein and who is IGOR, assisting the DR, wait detailDOC arrgh he must be DR Frankenstein!!!!

You created the thread and DDOC added all that detail (others too) so maybe u both are, thanks t I would have reinvested in the 'shabbier' store bought products (seems like only the Meguiars is considered up to snuff in Detail-Land) I will shoot a pix of my stuff when I organize later

JGT: who has time for sleeping with 100 woman I have to clean my Car!!!!!!!!!! Well, maybe I can find some time for that, My wife is at at the gym hahahaha.

I plan to stick my cleaning stuff in my bookcase in my home office until I create a good spot in my garage (traveling business for 2 weeks--so my constant posting and badgering will somewhat slow down!)

I have my ssheet (now color coded) out to 52 weeks and will have target weeks to ensure I meet the 3-4 x a year stuff and annual stuff. Washing & waxing easy to stay on track with, though winter a challenge but ONR will be on my next order!

PS- Of course it rained last nite into the morning (april showers blah blah blah but come friggin on already) I am happy to report checking last night and this morning beautiful water beading . Went to gym this early am, so air blew off the beads,and I have little to none water spots. More rain expected so maybe I will try the detail spray plus this weekend to clean er up! Also parked next to the the same model car at my gym my outshone the other by a mile!

OK...ok...ok detaildoc and rtj..............I am not worthy!!!! I am not worthy!!!! (he said on bended knees!!!). God, and I thought my little Excel spreadsheet of the products I was going to buy was anal!!!! LOL!!!! I bet you guys are like the one guy on the Moment of Truth who slept with over 100 women and had a spreadsheet on it (no, wait, I wanna be that guy..ha ha...no just kidding (my wife is standing behind me now).).

Hey AZ, you that anal? I have been called an A-hole but phew, this is amazing! :P

Hey rtj, gr8 pix!!! Thanks for sharing. Now, to make me put you on a pedastal (like I have detaildoc), you have to send pix on the organization schema for your supplies. I would send you mine....but you all know what an old towel hamper looks like (LOL)!

And who would have thunk it that my little post would grow to 10 pages and create detailing monsters like rtj!!!! :rolleyes:

Nice! What did you order?

I got the PS21 and a foam applicator (which will not fit in the wax container, haven't tried it yet to see if it will be a problem), the Sonus wash kit which has the shampoo, drying towels and other towels, and the wash mit. So, $80 later, I figured I wait for the rest. In reading the directions from the shampoo bottle, it says I should seal or polish first, so I guess I should order the Ultima Paint Guard Plus and applicator before I do the wax. I do not plan to get any machines for a while, so I want to make sure that whatever I get and use is safe to be done by hand. This may have been asked, but is applying the Paint Guard by hand safe?

you guys have pix of your wheels? smokey granite dudes.

2 cars ago I had a charcoal granite Nissan Stanza, than Gold sand maxima, and finally went black!

I dont regret it even with my current scratches! :angry:

I'll put some up after I get it nice and clean. Believe it or not, it rained yesterday here in AZ, and when that happens, you get a layer of dust with water drop marks on your car. Maybe I'll take a picture of that so you see what we have to go through!

No, I am not very anal. I am not good with lists, I used to make them and never go back to them. At work I wish I could hire a good list maker and maintainer, it's a skill that is so hard to find! I did print your list of what you purchased and put check marks by what I ordered to see what I will need next, so thanks! That's about as anal as I get.

My wife is the list maker, honeydos, family goals, tasks, what purse she wants to buy next, etc. My son and I just follow what pertains to us.

I got the foam applicator with a handle on it it does not fit the ps 21 but u just put each section in a little.no problem...

PG + by hand is fine, actually i think u have to do it by hand. the Blue MF applicator is what is recommended..If you look at my list from my ssheet above you will see the I list all the applicators to use with each product in the task.

Good Luck and sorry to hear about your dust. My Pollen season starting here in NY, cant wait to see a black base with Fluorescent green pollen on it!

good luck!

I got the PS21 and a foam applicator (which will not fit in the wax container, haven't tried it yet to see if it will be a problem), the Sonus wash kit which has the shampoo, drying towels and other towels, and the wash mit. So, $80 later, I figured I wait for the rest. In reading the directions from the shampoo bottle, it says I should seal or polish first, so I guess I should order the Ultima Paint Guard Plus and applicator before I do the wax. I do not plan to get any machines for a while, so I want to make sure that whatever I get and use is safe to be done by hand. This may have been asked, but is applying the Paint Guard by hand safe?