Sound Improvement Yes Or No?

dtsgy

I have a 94LS400, I will be replacing the factory speakers for various reasons. Either sun damaged and so forth, I have heard various opinions on this topic and I am putting it out here for review and comments. I have been given links to sites that suggest sound proofing the car. I like this idea even for a quit ride from the sound of car travel. But it adds to my question of should all this be done at one time.

Question: Since the rear woofer of a LS400 is open to the trunk, would creating an enclosure help produce greater sound? Or simple speaker wrapping around the woofer. Would this idea hold true for the doors? Is it better to control the air around a speaker than to let is operate free and unrestricted.

I have heard about every opinion for both yes wrap it and no leave it alone. Has anyone attempted this and what were your results? If there is anything I enjoy its great rich sound.

I have a 94LS400, I will be replacing the factory speakers for various reasons. Either sun damaged and so forth, I have heard various opinions on this topic and I am putting it out here for review and comments. I have been given links to sites that suggest sound proofing the car. I like this idea even for a quit ride from the sound of car travel. But it adds to my question of should all this be done at one time.

Question: Since the rear woofer of a LS400 is open to the trunk, would creating an enclosure help produce greater sound? Or simple speaker wrapping around the woofer. Would this idea hold true for the doors? Is it better to control the air around a speaker than to let is operate free and unrestricted.

I have heard about every opinion for both yes wrap it and no leave it alone. Has anyone attempted this and what were your results? If there is anything I enjoy its great rich sound.

First, when/if you replace the tires go for quietest and softest riding comfort, for me that meant Bridgestone Turanza summer only use tires.

There is a good silicon lubricant you can use on the door and window seals to help them seal and keep them pliable in the long term.

Keep the pollen filter clean/replaced so you don't have to use higher blower speeds to get reasonable airflow.

Keep the outside air inlet clear of leaves and debris and the HVAC in (ALWAYS) footwell/windshield during the winter, in combination footwell/dash in warmer weather, and keep the far left and far right dash outlets firmly CLOSED.

Disable the A/C compressor during the winter months and even in summer unless you actually need it to cool or initially cool down the cabin.

A DIY undercoat treatment of the wheelwell liners can be pretty inexpensive for the investment and helps dramatically.

The trunk is an "enclosure" for the woofer.

Use only the OEM or equivalent engine air filter and replace it on a regular basis.

The only advantage to those K&N type air filters or intake cold air kits are MORE engine intake noise.

I agree with ww, trunk is an enclosure for the sub. Here are links that show sound deadening in the doors and behind the rear seat.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/body/fdoorpanel.html

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/body/rearseat.html.

Been thinking of doing some like this myself, just too busy...will have to wait until I need to replace something. I would be interesting though to see how much difference it would make. If you go ahead, let us know how it turns out.

I have replaced ALL of the audio equipment in my 96 for various reasons (blown speakers, CD changer went out, no lighting on radio, etc.). However, I would recommend leaving as much stock equipment as possible simply for the reason that once you start replacing its hard to know where to quit and the stock equipment sounds great in general. I think you have the right idea with only replacing the speakers. A couple of things to keep in mind:

-Make sure that the after-market speakers match the ohm load of the factory speakers. (Its usually printed on the back of the factory speaker 2,4,8, or 10 ohm. The ohm symbol looks like an upside down horse shoe.) Failure to do this may cause damage to your amplifier of head unit.

-Your subwoofer is a "free air" style woofer. Building an enclosure around it will not make much of a difference. just make sure that the one you replace it with is free air capable. There are other options if you are interested...

-Even though these cars come sound sealed very well, there are options to suppressing exterior sound. The product I used was dynamat. It is a sticky material with sort of an aluminum backing. I lined all of my doors and trunk with it. There are a few different companies that produce a similar product. You can also use spray on bed liner. (Sounds silly but its effective).

Good luck!