Before/after Cleaning Headlights

erukian

Was that crest or colgate? Whitening, or plack removal, white or multi color... Which toothpaste I am soooo confuseddddddddd.... :lol:

Looks like the old tooth paste worked like a charm... Nice headlamps... Tooth paste works wonders on scuba masks too...

Yeah, i know you're joking, but the type of paste shouldn't matter. It's just a very mild abrasive, just grab a shimmy cloth and go at it.

I'm happy with the results for it only taking about 30 mins to do all of the lights, probably twice to three times the light being thrown now for a quarter of a tube of paste. I did my headlamps, foglights, and cornering lights.

Here's the foglights. I know it's not as good as it can be, but the improvement is a bit more than subtle. :)

2269871863_9e80c38615_b.jpg

2269871867_e12fd4c63d_b.jpg

-Joe

Yeah, I was joking...

Alot of the discoloration unfortunately is on the inside of the lamps... So what I did is remove the headlamps from the car and throw them in the oven to heat up and loosen the lense glue..Removed the lense and used a plexy glass 3 step cleaner on both sides which I got from the autoparts store... Needless to say they came out like new... A one hour job in total..

I don't have the before picture, but they were yellow and nasty... This is the after pic...

post-13978-1203224648_thumb.jpg

post-13978-1203224898_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I was joking...

Alot of the discoloration unfortunately is on the inside of the lamps... So what I did is remove the headlamps from the car and throw them in the oven to heat up and loosen the lense glue..Removed the lense and used a plexy glass 3 step cleaner on both sides which I got from the autoparts store... Needless to say they came out like new... A one hour job in total..

I don't have the before picture, but they were yellow and nasty... This is the after pic...

epic! thanks for the tip. :)

-Joe

Yeah if you really want a perfect like new job, you need to go all the way with those headlamps... 450 degre in the oven for 15 minutes, then make sure you get good silicon gasket sealer to re-seal those lenses properly on the headlamps..

The hardest part of the job is removing and reinstalling the headlamps from the car...The oven trick and head lamp lense removal is very easy and fast....

I've been reading about the lens cleanup. My question is, we take em apart, seal em up, but they have a vent hose to breath. I understand keeping the rain out, but are the vents the problem? Do all headlights have these vent hoses? In radio control flying we sometime use "bubbleless" fuel tanks that work like a collapsible bladder. Maybe something like this that could inflate when the headlight got hot, and then the same dry air could be sucked back into the lamp when it cools. I've got 2 lights now that have the silicone treatment from the previous owner that are all nasty again. The oven trick probably won't work this time, it's gonna be work. I bought some ebay lights that look awesome, but light up the trees! We need a real, permanent solution.

I've been reading about the lens cleanup. My question is, we take em apart, seal em up, but they have a vent hose to breath. I understand keeping the rain out, but are the vents the problem? Do all headlights have these vent hoses? In radio control flying we sometime use "bubbleless" fuel tanks that work like a collapsible bladder. Maybe something like this that could inflate when the headlight got hot, and then the same dry air could be sucked back into the lamp when it cools. I've got 2 lights now that have the silicone treatment from the previous owner that are all nasty again. The oven trick probably won't work this time, it's gonna be work. I bought some ebay lights that look awesome, but light up the trees! We need a real, permanent solution.