Hesitation And Jerking

pearlls

Hello all,

Before I was lost from the system I had posted several times about a hesitation problem with my 92 LS. The car was hesitating and jerking under moderate accelleration. It also ran very rich, enough to get black soot all over the rear bumper. My car is pearl white!! It seemed to get worse when rainy outside. I did a full tune-up including new wires, caps and rotors. I used BG44 to clean the fuel system but the problem remained the same. I had the injectors cleaned and tested, but the problem was still there. I also had the TPS adjusted, new fuel filter, new air filter,nothing helped. Just when I was ready to drop a lit match in the gas tank I remembered I had almost the same problem a few years ago on an older Nissan 300zx. It was the air flow meter needing to be adjusted. However the 92LS doesn't have any adjustments on the air flow meter, right? Wrong!! It certainly does. There's an adjustment screw hidden under an aluminum plug on the front side of the unit. I had to drill out this plug to get to the screw. I turned the screw 1/2 turn to the left(loosening) and my hesitation problem completely disappeared along with the rich condition!! The car runs perfectly now! ;) I hope this experience helps someone else out there. Thanks to all that offered advice. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future since this is my first Lexus. Thanks again!!!

You found a band-aid fix but not the problem.The screw you drilled out is there because there is no manual adjusment as it is made to be adjusted by the computer not manually.Somethingelse is cause the condition to be rich that is related to that sensor.

Thanks skperformance,

I understand what you mean by band-aid fix. However, it'll keep me going until the real culprit can be found. Personally, I think the airflow meter might have to be replaced but I'll have it checked after the holidays. Thanks for the heads-up! Nice to know we look out for each other here!!