Quickie About Wax!

I've been seeing pictures of these beautiful Lexus' everywhere and just thought I'd share a bit of information with everyone.

I was kind of saddened when I learned this because, yes, I had done this a few times before in the past...when I was a "noob" with waxes.

Thank God I'm now a "Certified Professional Automotive Reconditioning Technitian".....I mean auto detailer! :D hahaha

Wax removes wax :( Yes that's right, I know, you love your car so much you want to put on multiple coats of wax... well... It doesn't do any good as the next layer of wax will replace the previous layer of wax, or paint sealant.

You CAN however wax OVER a paint sealant. (just how the chemical structures work)

So I'm sorry if anyone has done this before.. but I just thought I'd share a little tid-bit with my LOC buddies! :D

:cheers:

"I AM THE HORNIEST MOTHA F***A ON THA ROAD!!" oh wait did I just say that out loud???? :blush:

LOL :lol:

*ahem* Anyways yes a new coat of was is always good. A good wax will probably last about 2-3 weeks TOPS. 3 weeks being VERY generous. Depending on washing habits, driving habit, environment, and what conditions you park in, are all a factor in the evaporation rate of a wax.

If you wait till the wax is hard, it will not remove it. That is why you wait 24 hours between coats. And you can wax over sealants; that is nothing new. Just need to wait till sealant is hard. When I put Cg5050 over JW AJT I wait approx 24 hours. If not, you will have slight bonding issues (aka longevity will be poor along with shine, gloss and wetness etc).

I have gotten over 4+ months of Cg5050 wax in the Texas sun. If you have a good wax not full of junk like Nattys, it will last. I have gotten between 6 to 7 months using JW in the Houston Sun. Some guru's on wax like Scottwax have gotten around the same in Texass.

As with oils, same with wax, you get what you pay for. You pay $15 for wax it will be much worse then a $50 wax. I will be getting a $200 wax (Swissvax Concorso) next month. See how it looks. Will post since I wait to see if it is worse the money or it will be like my go-to product CG5050

If you want to learn about waxes etc, go to autopia and read for hours. The place is a gold mine. Been there for years.

Car wax doesn't layer up on itself... -_- , and that's what I said, "you can however wax over a paint sealant"...

Unless you are talking about letting it harden to the paint and then slopping more on top of it and letting that dry??

Plus with wax it's not really always, the more expensive it is, the better it is. My supplier in San Diego (Rightlook) produces their own stuff. I can get a gallon of paint sealant for $25. Their product is the best I've ever used. Much better than Zaino etc..

I had the paint sealant on my 89 Corolla GT-S for about 9 months before I sold it. (NEVER RE-APPLIED) I washed it probably on average 4-6 times per week. Water still beaded off like it had just been applied same day. I wouldn't be suprised at all if it held up for a year.

You said wax removes wax and cannot layer it, that is incorrect as I noted before. Just wondering if you are auto detailer why are you asking about the wax harden issue? This is basic detailing 101 and every detail person would know this. Plus the wax over sealant is nothing new. Again same thing. You need to wait to harden before applying a LSP. This is why people pay you over $200+ to do a car

I agree it (price) is not always integral to wax quality but it again depends on what you are putting it next too. I tried zaino before and still stand by it is not worth what they get. No, sealant will last 1-year. Not gonna happen with a daily driver. It is hard to fine durablilty, shine, wetness, gloss and longevity all in one product. And most times not.

You know wax is not a sealant right? Your second paragraph seems to state they are the same...With waxes, for me, higher price = better quality. I tried enough to know. But a $15 wax is nice but lasts like very short. CG5050 has outperformed all waxes I have tried. And outperformed is not based on how long it lasts either. In the Texas sun, that says a lot. But if your $25 works, keep using it.

Based on the products I have tried JW wins (for sealant), hands down. But that is me. Price is lowest I have used based on about 25 to 30 DROPS to do a car. Shine is great, no bonding with any other LSP and no app issue in high heat or humidity.

I think a blanket statement like "wax will remove previous wax" or "you can wax over a paint sealant" is really not accurate.

While I agree that for the most part carnuaba waxes are not layerable, its not really that the new coat removes the old coat. If you're dealing with pure paste waxes with no cleaners the solvents in the wax re-liquify the previous coat and the two kind of meld together forming one new coat.

In terms of a sealant, you cannot layer a liquid wax or a wax with much solvent content (all wax has some) over a sealant and expect the sealant to still be beneath it. You can layer a pure paste wax over SOME sealants, but not all.

I think a blanket statement like "wax will remove previous wax" or "you can wax over a paint sealant" is really not accurate.

While I agree that for the most part carnuaba waxes are not layerable, its not really that the new coat removes the old coat. If you're dealing with pure paste waxes with no cleaners the solvents in the wax re-liquify the previous coat and the two kind of meld together forming one new coat.

In terms of a sealant, you cannot layer a liquid wax or a wax with much solvent content (all wax has some) over a sealant and expect the sealant to still be beneath it. You can layer a pure paste wax over SOME sealants, but not all.

i agreed! :D

Well, heres my take on this:

Mburnickas and SWO3 have posted long enouph and probably more than enyone I have met on just this subject. I have often gone other places and found what they said to be true and very accurate. I think someone would have to post irrefutable evidence before I could go along with something other than what Mburnickas states. Iv'e learned alot from his posts.

In order to make a Carnauba wax 'workable' it requires the addition of a solvent. By applying another low-solvent product on top of one that has already cross-linked you can increase its density (up to a point) two to cured applications are usually considered optimum One thing that will negate the applied product density is lack of clarity, the base coat (that contains the vehicles colour) is covered / protected by a clear coat of urethane paint, which as well as providing protection is clear to enable the paint colour to show through and provide the colour with depth.

wax will not remove wax.. lets say if u used klearkote moose wax on ur car.. be sure to use the same wax over and over.. dont switch to another brand... ok!!! more waxes the better.. the slicker the paint be .

This is not true, it will remove other wax...sort of. See TOGWT's above post for a good explanation.

• 1 month later...
wax will not remove wax.. lets say if u used klearkote moose wax on ur car.. be sure to use the same wax over and over.. dont switch to another brand... ok!!! more waxes the better.. the slicker the paint be .

This is not true, it will remove other wax...sort of. See TOGWT's above post for a good explanation.

Hey SW03ES, wanted to validate something with you and detaildoc. I plan (when the darn weather gets warm) to use the Ultima Paint Guard Plus first...let it cure for 12+ hours and then use P21s-100 carnauba wax. That should work right?

Hey SW03ES, wanted to validate something with you and detaildoc. I plan (when the darn weather gets warm) to use the Ultima Paint Guard Plus first...let it cure for 12+ hours and then use P21s-100 carnauba wax. That should work right?

Yes it will work just fine, I do it all the time, in fact, I am doing that tonight. Once the Ultima has cured, it will not be removed by the application of P21s100%.