Extra Atf

BigBuggie

Hey everybody,

Did my first drain and fill today and I got about 3 1/2 Qts out of the pan. Is this normal? I can't really seem to get the most accurate measure from my dipstick, It seemed a bit high, I replaced almost 3 quarts and it looks somewhat normal, I don't really know. I'll hit the filter next time.

Pete

You're about 1 - 1.5 qts over what's usually drained. It might have been overfilled when it was last done. What did it read before you did the change? Are you reading the d/s with a warm engine while it's running? If you are and the reading is normal, I wouldn't worry. Putting in 2 - 2.5 qts is about the range.

Hey,

In all honesty I just can't read that :censored: thing. It was warm when I did look at it and seemed high to me. Easy to see that the low mark is saturated but the high mark is as well, Just not as much, IDK.

So that's 3 quarts out, Is there any recommended time frame that I drain and fill the rest? Should I do another tomorrow, Or wait? Do you have to run in the new fluid?

Pete

You'll get a variety of opinions on this. Manual suggests every 15k on a schedule A (extreme conditions) and only inspections every 15k or 24 mths on schedule B. Dealer will tell you every 30k. Some do the tranny every second or third oil change. If you do 4 changes, you'll have most of the fluid changed. If you're a diy, then try the method in this tutorial:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/transmission/transflush.html

Once you're ready to put in some fresh fluid (assuming you've taken out 2 qts), fill it with less than 2 qts (like 1.75 or so), drive it for a 5 to 10 miles then read the d/s and top it off.

Hey everybody,

Did my first drain and fill today and I got about 3 1/2 Qts out of the pan. Is this normal? I can't really seem to get the most accurate measure from my dipstick, It seemed a bit high, I replaced almost 3 quarts and it looks somewhat normal, I don't really know. I'll hit the filter next time.

Pete

I was under the impression that is the normal amount of fluid that comes out on a routine 'drain & fill'? :unsure: I know it is at least on the ES.

According to the Amsoil website (this is not gospel...just an FYI) it states that it's only a 2 qt drain & fill. Big, are there any details mentioned in your owners manual about this?

:cheers: