Rx350 Diy Oil Change....developed A Leak...need Some Help

Hi Everyone

I did an oil change on a RX350 last week and it has developed an oil leak towards the back of the engine. I checked the drain plug and filter housing and they are clean. I can't find the source of the leak.

I was certain that the proper capacity was around 6.4 quarts which is what I filled it to...approximately. Could I have overfilled it? If I did what harm could have been done?

TIA

George

Hi Everyone

I did an oil change on a RX350 last week and it has developed an oil leak towards the back of the engine. I checked the drain plug and filter housing and they are clean. I can't find the source of the leak.

I was certain that the proper capacity was around 6.4 quarts which is what I filled it to...approximately. Could I have overfilled it? If I did what harm could have been done?

TIA

George

Weclome to LOC! :)

You can overfill your engine by some and be fine.You would not hurt anything.

If you put in 6 1/2 quarts then you did right--it's not overfilled. Did you remove the little drain plug from the bottom of the filter, if so that may be where your leak is--the oil may not collect there, it may just blow back along the oil pan toward the back. It's sometimes hard to find a leak because wind blowing under the engine carries the oil toward the rear, so the leak seems to come from there. If oil is not dripping on the floor, it's possible that a little oil was left on the frame or on the side of the engine and you didn't wipe it really clean. There are only 3 places it could leak from your oil change--the engine plug, the filter base, and the small filter plug. If all those areas are clean then I would suspect that some oil was left on a panel or frame and it's just blowing back--it doesn't take much oil to look like a big leak.

Yup...i removed the plastic drain thingy and put in a new o-ring. torqued the filter housing and that button screw to 10 ft/lbs. I had a small amount of fluid on the garage floor...maybe 2 or 3 drops. When I looked under the car I could see more that was ready to fall to the ground.

I'll have to do more digging when I get home. I'll get the car back up on the ramps and go through everything again.

Thanks

George