Removing Old Hideous Yellow Airbag Warnings From Visors

Hey Gang!

Brand new pround owner of a 1999 GS400...It rocks! But can't satand the huge yellow warnings about airbags on the visors. Anyone have any success in removing those without a mess or damaging the visor material? Thanks

Kurt in Sunny San Diego

1999 Gs 400 78,090

Hey Gang!

Brand new pround owner of a 1999 GS400...It rocks! But can't satand the huge yellow warnings about airbags on the visors. Anyone have any success in removing those without a mess or damaging the visor material? Thanks

Kurt in Sunny San Diego

1999 Gs 400 78,090

Don't know of an easy way to get them off, and wouldn't try to either. I have a friend with a 2001 Tundra that tried to take them off. He got them off, but took a little bit of the visor fabric off with them. The labels look ugly, but the visors look worse with them off. I don't think they are designed to be removed.

Back again for an update of my question ,... I peeled the dang things off. Pretty good results. (After being on the visor for nine years) Lost no sign of visor fuzz and have minimal glue reside and looks much better now than with the Dum Kopff warning label. Out

Funny that, I thought I was the only crazy person that those damn stickers annoyed.

I went to a local vinyl sign store and got a few scraps of the closest gray color I could find to match the interior. Traced the sticker on some paper and cut a sticker to fit. Not a perfect solution, but at least I am not bothered by a cheap yellow sticker that "states the obvious" for our litigious society. Another reason to hate lawyers.

hey everyone,

if you go to www.lextasy.com you can get brand new sticker covers for the airbag warning labels. they give you the option to choose the background color and the font color for your stickers which come imprinted with "lextasy" on them. this site has parts and accessories for all of the lexus models new and old. so check it out..the site is great and they are a great investment. i had purchased them for my 2000 gs 300 and love them. perfect fit and they look great..and no more ugly airbag warning decals. (as a side note they also sell the same sticker covers for the mirrors on the visors which also look great. the site is very reputable and they have great customer service if any problems arise. check it out and good luck.

B)

Hey Gang!

Kurt in Sunny San Diego

1999 Gs 400 78,090

Take it to a detailer and have them steam it off. Tthats what I did. If the car is older it will have a lighter color gray underneath it in the shape of the sticker, but it is still way better than the yellow stickers.

Hey Gang!

Kurt in Sunny San Diego

1999 Gs 400 78,090

I managed to peel mine off without much damage but as I think of it, I would suggest to anyone else that they might try my trick for removing mailing labels, price tags, etc... use a hair dryer and with the heat going, use tweezers (keep from burning your fingers) and try lifting it off. I've successfully removed many mailing labels from boxes as well as price tags from gifts I was giving. I think it would be worth a try! :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

I've tried the heat method on my 2008 IS. The visor material seems unique and the sticker appears to be fused. Any help or tips from others would be appreciated. Funny how it bothers some but not others. It drives me crazy. I'll be lloking for a cover.

i honestly NEVER noticed them till i read this post awhile back.......now every now and them i notice them but they still dont bother me....... good luck though you'll

"i will welcome myself back to the forum as im,woo hooooooooo, finally unsuspended! hahaha!"

brian

• 2 weeks later...
i honestly NEVER noticed them till i read this post awhile back.......now every now and them i notice them but they still dont bother me....... good luck though you'll

"i will welcome myself back to the forum as im,woo hooooooooo, finally unsuspended! hahaha!"

brian

They SUCK! As if I need a sticker to tell me what to do in my 40k car. Well maybe I'll just put on the cruise control and go to the back seat to mix a drink...wait I think I saw a sticker warning against that too! :P

kurtk u would be surprised what some people do.......do u not remember hearing about the guy who sued Winnebago AND WON as he put the RV on auto pilot and then it wrecked! people do some dumb stuff sometimes......i always thought if that old lady from mcdonalds was foolish enough to put hot coffee between her legs then she deserved to get burned! lol i never even notice mine I'm surprised this bothers so many people!

brian

Hey Gang!

Kurt in Sunny San Diego

1999 Gs 400 78,090

Jim in Kalamazoo....same here...they were off in a week. A very experienced "sticker peeler" I used the medium heat from a hair dryer with very gentle pull. It took a while.... but they came off in one piece and I can even stick them back on in case the next owner happens to be "tort happy" lawyer. I remember gently wiping leftover residue off with a mild solvent. No trace of them whatsoever! There stored in the owners manual and look new.

welcome the the club and didnt it leave a faded color behind where the sticker was as the other would be exposed to the sun and behind the sticker it wouldnt be!

brian

• 4 months later...

Recently I bought a used '98 GS 400. The label was off on the driver's side, showing some darker coloration where the label had been.

I decided I would tackle the passenger side label and this is what I did:

1) Removed the cover plate over the mounting screws.

2) Unscrewed and unplugged the visor.

3) Soaked it label-down in a shallow pan of water and Orange TKO (available online) for about an hour.

Use just enough water to keep the label and its (plastic) fabric wet and NOT the entire visor with its electrical componenets

4) Gently lift one corner back to expose enough label to be grabbed by a pair of pliers.

5) I took a clean piece of flat aluminum stock (a ruler would work) to hold down the fabric really close to where the label was coming off the fabric.

This way the (I'm sure synthetic) fabric would not stretch and deform.

6) Work really slowly or small sections of adhesive will remain.

7) As luck would have it - some sections of adhesive DID remain. How to get the goo off?

8) Let the visor dry.

9) The Goo Gone product was useless. Perhaps I mis-applied it, I don't know, but this is what I did.

10) A strong adhesive will remove a weaker one, so I took a 6" piece of duct tape

(actually I used Gaffer's Tape from the movie business I used to be in - made by Permacel) and stuck it on to the goo areas and

peeled off the remaining (less sticky) adhesive that remained on the visor.

When one 6" piece got filled with the visor's adhesive and wouldn't pull up any more, I threw it out and used a fresh 6" piece.

It took aboout 1/2 an hour and many 6" pieces that small section by small section removed all the goo!

11) Reversed steps 2) and 1)

The passenger visor looks brand spanking new with no discoloration or change of texture. A perfect Lexus - just how I like it!