Rear Strut

bahu

I've 2005 RX 330 with 42k miles. One of the rear side (passenger side) struts is leaking. I took it to the dealer since it's under warranty. Lexus dealer says I just need to change that particular strut. But my mechanic friend says both the struts should be changed.

What do you guys suggest? Did anybody replace struts before?

Thanks!

I've 2005 RX 330 with 42k miles. One of the rear side (passenger side) struts is leaking. I took it to the dealer since it's under warranty. Lexus dealer says I just need to change that particular strut. But my mechanic friend says both the struts should be changed.

What do you guys suggest? Did anybody replace struts before?

Thanks!

Dealer nuts or incompetent. Always change struts/shocks in pairs.

I have never heard of replacing one shock absorber, one strut, or one side of the brake pads. I have ALWAYS replaced items like that in pairs, that is replace both axle sides for suspension, braking, or ride control. I would insist upon it and be forceful. Then, if the service advisor balks, ask for his denial in writing for future reference. I would also ask for the number for Lexus USA to ask their opinion.

Gary

If you're chasing this repair under your original warranty, Lexus will cover only the failed strut under warranty. But all previous responders to this thread are correct - struts should be replaced in pairs. Perhaps if you keep your hand on his throat and squeeze a bit harder, the service manager will agree to replace both of them. I believe that my local dealership would, but they know that I'd beat them like a rented mule if they tried to just do one first ....