Have Had To Replace Two Bridgestone Tires Before 10,000 Miles

I have just replaced my 2nd Bridgestone OEM tire, the first at 5000 miles and this latest one at 9300 miles. I have never before repaced any in nearly 50 years of driving. Am I just unlucky or is anyone else having a similar issue with these tires. Both picked up nails in the sidewalls.

I have just replaced my 2nd Bridgestone OEM tire, the first at 5000 miles and this latest one at 9300 miles. I have never before repaced any in nearly 50 years of driving. Am I just unlucky or is anyone else having a similar issue with these tires. Both picked up nails in the sidewalls.

Most likely it's the area's you are driving in.It's not the tires fault if you get nails in the sidewalls.

Most likely it's the area's you are driving in.It's not the tires fault if you get nails in the sidewalls.

No Those tires are just horrible...

"No Those tires are just horrible..."

Why do you say that. I have had some issues with the pressures. Came with over 40# cold, then reduced to 33, but I now find it rides better and quieter at 36 cold and up to 39 when they warm up. What is your experience.

• 3 months later...

I agree, the OEM tires are terrible. After about 10,000 miles in my new LS460, I replaced the OEM tires with Michelins. The car rides and handles 100% better.

Try it.

No Those tires are just horrible...

"No Those tires are just horrible..."

Why do you say that. I have had some issues with the pressures. Came with over 40# cold, then reduced to 33, but I now find it rides better and quieter at 36 cold and up to 39 when they warm up. What is your experience.

======================================================

Was the pressure you mentioned measured with a quality gage or the Lexus tire display? My display is 3-4 lbs off and doesn't really work. Only good for telling you if you have a flat coming up. Dealer as usual says this is normal and with in specs.

Buy a good air gage and check the tires with that. They are very cheap and a very good investment.

It's curious that you were the "victim" of 2 tires with nails in the sidewall of the tires! Do you live or work in a construction area? If not, it may be young kids being a menace in the neighborhood - YIKES!

It's curious that you were the "victim" of 2 tires with nails in the sidewall of the tires! Do you live or work in a construction area? If not, it may be young kids being a menace in the neighborhood - YIKES!

As much as I hate to agree with baddboi, just too much coincidence. It's like two coils or two cats going at the same time. Unlikely. Check your route and where you park away from home.

I don't know why more buyers don't deal for tires of their choice when buying the car, instead of accepting a compromise, then shortly afterwards replacing them.

Easy to say Blacktop, ;) and very observant, by the way, but you would expect Lexus to do the homework and equip the flagship accordingly to their devoted fans. I did not have time for tire school but have learned a lesson, albeit discouraging for us "baby" boomers. I did not even think of looking at the tires when I leased. I assumed Ls's were meant to be on Michelins or something found to be superior. All my past Ls's were on Michelins. Never considered such a foobar. I know, there will be a hundred pundits making auspicious statements to and fro, but as for me, there is a difference in the handling and ride. I expected the same ride or better on my 460 and now I understand a portion of the puzzle. I am older and know the younger expect the road handling capabilities so I say buy a BMW to bounce your !Removed! down the road. Yes, the Bridgestone's are harder, noisier and more sporty. As for me, give me the "baby" safe Michelins. :D These "Bridge-Stones", and I understand the analogy, are going on my swamp buggy. :lol:

Good points RF. I'm not sure of what exactly the target market is for the LS nor how informed Lexus expects that segment to be. Nevertheless, you're right that they ought to expect some assumptions from their buyers, especially if they are previous owners. Me thinks a dealer concerned with customer satisfaction would at the very least determine the ride characteristics the buyer prefers, then suggest a matching tire if it's not already on the car.

But I must say that bouncing my !Removed! down the road first in my scirocco, then later in my stang and bmr was indeed a period of merriment and revelry. As Hitchcock once wrote in one of his movies, "One must do everything at least once in one's life." B)

I'm with you Blacktop, had those cars and can't say i did not enjoy them, but in my older age I like my cars, like my women and wine..... soft, slow, mellow and steady all the better and so does my body. ;)

Easy to say Blacktop, ;) and very observant, by the way, but you would expect Lexus to do the homework and equip the flagship accordingly to their devoted fans. I did not have time for tire school but have learned a lesson, albeit discouraging for us "baby" boomers. I did not even think of looking at the tires when I leased. I assumed Ls's were meant to be on Michelins or something found to be superior. All my past Ls's were on Michelins. Never considered such a foobar. I know, there will be a hundred pundits making auspicious statements to and fro, but as for me, there is a difference in the handling and ride. I expected the same ride or better on my 460 and now I understand a portion of the puzzle. I am older and know the younger expect the road handling capabilities so I say buy a BMW to bounce your !Removed! down the road. Yes, the Bridgestone's are harder, noisier and more sporty. As for me, give me the "baby" safe Michelins. :D These "Bridge-Stones", and I understand the analogy, are going on my swamp buggy. :lol:

As of late, it is difficult to understand how or why Lexus has made the "poor" decisions that negatively affect their loyal consumers :angry: I have not read through the entire 460 forum; however, the 07-08 ES forum is full of "unhappy" consumers that for the most part agree that Lexus has "dropped the ball" when it comes to customer expectations. My '06 IS 350 is built with better quality interior products and the craftmanship is evident, but I unfortunately can NOT say that about my 07 ES 350 :cries:

I have checked out the 08 LS 460L at my dealership and it seems like the "flagship" is built well; however, not being an owner of one I can not say with certainty. Maybe Lexus has lost their focus on the driver and have fallen victim to Toyota's goal of beating out GM - at ALL costs! Which I hope is not the case, I LOVE my IS, but I would trade my ES in for a GS in a heartbeat.

Please keep in mind I am not flaring on the 460 as It is the best so far, Seating is superp, M/L is one hundred % improved. If you like Bass and I am a fan. Dash and cabin lighting is much cleaner and overall the paint, hand sanded twice, is superior. Ride is a bit stiffer on the corners and the transition is a pleasing compromise, IMHO. I am complaining about the tires and not the vehicle. The flagship is alive and well. I am positive all my reservations will be resolved with the correct tires. As I stated earlier, why the tires? Easy to resolve, a few 180's and poof. New tires and another happy owner. ;) Drive on.............

Egad! Nails in the sidewalls thingey,gulp. Look out for a teenage neighbor or jealous adult. I had a problem once with a jealous neighbor planting nails. Fast learner here so I always check the tires before backing up that stopped this. Then the idiot started deflating the tires. No slashing to his credit.

So I installed a hidden TV camera and sent him the tape. No future problems of any kind with this dude. He didn't really know who sent him the tape or where the camera was. But I think he got the message.

Our new 08 has Bridgestonies. Not the best but ok. These are the guys who bought out Firestone. Not a good business decision. Michelin's gets the best PR but really pricey. I'll run the Stones up to 20-30K and switch to something much better., like Kumho.

So what model Michelin is the best for a real nice cushy old mans ride?

Driving up to Minn tomorrow. 2 day drive at speed. Got the Radar and Boise all set. Hope the hail or Tornadoes don't bite.

Egad! Nails in the sidewalls thingey,gulp. Look out for a teenage neighbor or jealous adult. I had a problem once with a jealous neighbor planting nails. Fast learner here so I always check the tires before backing up that stopped this. Then the idiot started deflating the tires. No slashing to his credit.

So I installed a hidden TV camera and sent him the tape. No future problems of any kind with this dude. He didn't really know who sent him the tape or where the camera was. But I think he got the message.

Our new 08 has Bridgestonies. Not the best but ok. These are the guys who bought out Firestone. Not a good business decision. Michelin's gets the best PR but really pricey. I'll run the Stones up to 20-30K and switch to something much better., like Kumho.

So what model Michelin is the best for a real nice cushy old mans ride?

Driving up to Minn tomorrow. 2 day drive at speed. Got the Radar and Boise all set. Hope the hail or Tornadoes don't bite.

YIKES - every luxury car owners worst nightmare, a jealous neighbor whom is ignorant enough to strike out against you by damaging your car!

All my past Ls's were on Michelins. Never considered such a foobar.

Hey RF, is this your first new LS? I remember your 02 was pre-owned.

The LS has never shipped with OEM Michelins as far as I can remember (this is one thing I look for, I'm weird), the ES has shipped with MXV4s, but never the LS.

Lexus and Bridgestone have a very long history and Bridgestones have always been in the OEM rotation for the LS along side Dunlop SP Sport 4000s and 5000s. I've never seen a new LS sitting on a dealer lot with a set of Michelins and niether my dad's 98 or his 04 came with them. His 98 had Dunlop SP Sport 4000s and his 04 had Dunlop SP Sport 5000s. My ES shipped with Bridgestone Potenza RE92s but it was about 50/50 that year on the ES with Michelin MXV4s.

Nothing wrong with Bridgestone as a brand, they make some of the most well respected tires in the world. I have a set of Bridgestone Turanza LS-Vs on mine now and they're excellent, replaced a set of MXV4 Michelins and I'd say they're as good. All tiremakers have crappy models, including Michelin.

• 3 weeks later...