How Much $ For Tires?

thomfarr

Time for new tires on my 1997 LX450. What should I expect to pay for 4 OEM Michelin tires - mounted & front end alignment. First quote I got was $875.00

I have had the LX for 2 months so I don't know how it handles new. With 65K miles, should I be looking for new shocks as well?

I've seen the discussion of OEM shocks vs. LC shocks vs. others.

For me, I wouldn't worry about the alignment unless I see evidence that I have a problem with uneven tire wear for my LX 450.

As for tire pricing, it differs by area, but for a set of 4 Michelin LTX in the stock (OEM) size, I would expect to pay around $650, but no more than $700 out the door (balanced, installed, tax, etc.).

If you have a Discount Tire store anywhere around, you can use their web site to get an estimate (www.tires.com). We have them in CA, but under the name of America's Tires (same web site). The tirerack web site usually has good pricing for tires (they ship to you and you can have them mounted at pretty much any shop) - their web site is www.tirerack.com. I've found that tirerack.com usually has some of the better pricing.

Costco and Sam's Club usually have good prices for tires, have you checked with either one of them?

If your shocks are the original, I'd think they're due for replacement. Springs should be okay -- assuming you want to stay OEM.

...just some of my thoughts on the issue of tires and shocks...

Doug

That's better than the $875 I paid for mine! :o

Then again, I got larger tires and they're mud terrain tires (goodyear brand).

The Michelin LTXs don't work so well rocks and deepish mud. :D

Doug

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I paid $680 for same replacement, installed, balanced, etc.  QUoted 4 places in Carmel and range was this to aroung $780.  Mine were wore more on the on the side, but I did not rotate.  Will this time.

$1100 out the door for the 18" Michelins on my 2004 LX470. Few choices for tire brands with this vehicle. (275R60-18)

I did go back to the Michelins as they gave me great service for the first 35k miles with my LX.

Time for new tires on my 1997 LX450.  What should I expect to pay for 4 OEM Michelin tires - mounted & front end alignment.  First quote I got was $875.00

I have had the LX for 2 months so I don't know how it handles new.  With 65K miles, should I be looking for new shocks as well?

I've seen the discussion of OEM shocks vs. LC shocks vs. others.

I would give some serious consideration to this new Goodyear.... B)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...re1=yes&place=8

:cheers:

Check The Tire Rack (www.tirerack.com) - They have good prices. My shop is one of their installers so I get them dropped shipped to him and they mount/balance them there.

I have 119K on my '99 LX470, I am still on the 2nd set of Michelins so I love them. I put this set on at 70K and I think that I can get at least another 10-15K out of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have 295-75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, paid about $150 ea. love them, but their a little small. Just got a great deal on a set of Tundra alloys and found a good deal on Cooper Discoverer STT in 37-12.50/17 for $250 ea. may have to stepup! :D

I have done a lot of research on the tires for this vehicle.

The LTXs are fair at best.

The Forteras are average, If you want your $70k truck to look like an Explorer.

The best tire, bar none, is the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo. Make sure you get the "Revo", it is a totally different and much better tire than the non "Revo". For the LX470 they are not louder, and my wife and I both think they may be quieter. It is hard to tell because both are very hard to hear.

They cost about the same as the LTXs, I think I paid just over $700 for everything. But, they are better in every regard, especially in snow and offroad situations. Oh yeah, in rain too, which is a situation I did not like the LTXs in.