How Long Can A 91 Ls400 Go?

91ls400

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 1990 LS just turned to 134,000 miles today. Since that was my mark for my 3K oil change, I got out the ramps and changed it. How long can this car go? I feel forever. Just last week when I wnent to take a final exam in a college class I was taking another student in the class pulled up when I did. She said "I like your new Lexus." I said thanks! I didn't have the heart to tell her it was 14 years old.

Is there an interesting story to go along with that - braheem?! :)

[were you driving at the time - that sort thing]

Craig!! :)

Sorry Craig didnt see the post, no interesting story that I remeber of, I think I was just starting the car in the morning come to think of it :blushing:

...I broke my axle bolts on my porsche from accelrating too hard, does that count as an interesting story, had it on cruise at 145MPH :whistles:

Sorry Bro, just cranked the car in the morning and it sounded like the starter went out.

• 1 month later...

I purchased my 1992 LS 400 with 185,000 miles on it one year ago and now it has 196,00 miles. The car rides like a champ and the only major problem i had was replacing the water pump. Everything is in working order,but i do have an intermittent trac light pop up when car is cold. All that said I've become a Lexus fanatic.

I'm sure there are some around, but 300k requires *averaging* about 22,000 miles per year for even the very oldest model. I expect it will be another 7+ years before there are large quantities of LS hitting 300k.

I don't expect to be there for another 10 years, at least.

Joe

Here’s my 91 LS400 story for anyone interested. Bought one for $5,100 a few weeks ago in MD from a family friend and shipped it to CA, got it last week. 100% stock, 150K miles, no nak, leather, 6 CD, sunroof, 1 owner, Taupe ex, brown int, integrated car phone which I removed last night, all you need is a Philips screwdriver. Been serviced at Lexus of Rockville every 4-6K miles for its entire life. It blows my mind that there are no rattles. I’m also shocked there aren’t any electrical problems with this car. My 89 BMW 525 power locks is screwed up, sunroof doesn’t open, spits out German words in the LCD readout. The only thing wrong my LS is it appears only one light bulb works in the temp/clock readout, the middle bulb; still can read everything at night even with the dimmer turned down. And the driver seat back power button adjustment is missing so I just have to fool with the metal rods that the button had previously covered to adjust. In the last 15K miles, these have been replaced: the front and rear brakes, the water pump, timing belt, idlers, thermostat, AC compressor, evaporator and expansion valve, magnet clutch assy (what’s that?), receiver tank (what’s that?), rear tires, front lower ball joints, coolant flush. I think I got a good deal. My driving impressions as a first time Lexus owner: luxurious ride, hauls !Removed!, feels as solid as a tank (feels like it weighs 5000+lbs), corners better than I would have thought given the spongy ride. Not only does it feel like a million bucks, I feel like a million bucks when I drive it. Driver seat too springy but not a problem after you’re seated. I plan to own it for at least 10 years. I wonder how much it’ll be worth in 10 years if I take care of it? $1-2K?

Couple questions:

I think the stock sound system sounds real good already, does the nak sound that much better?

Should I have the power steering, differential, and transmission fluid replaced soon?

Anyone know an honest independent Lexus service shop in the coastal Los Angeles region?

Does an independent shop need special computerized diagnostic equipment to service an LS400?

I noticed a shim kit and fitting kit, $35 and $25, respectively, was required for the front brake job. Are these required for every brake job?

Thank you kindly in advance for any answers you can provide.

Dennis

Hi,

I work at Johnson Lexus in Raleigh, NC in the Detail Dpt. I drive every car that comes through the lexus service Dept. so that they can be washed. I have seen many LS400s with well over 250k. I do remember especially a 90 LS400 with 298k on the clock. I also heard from another guy that works in the detail dept about a car that he detailed with 365k on it. I dont think that you will have any worries about your car not lasting.

• 1 month later...

I have a 91 LS400 Jade/Black currently with 267,000 miles. I have recently replaced the distributor cap, rotor, ac compressor, fan belt, plug wires, spark plugs and some vacuum hose that are brittle allready. No doubt that this is a wonderful car to have. If it does go bad on me, I will not mind rebuiding the same engine and make it run like it is brand new. So far all the problem mention here in the forum are accurate. I still have bad ac display blackout, crack passenger side leather seat, sticky driver side window switch, leaking AC and I have allready replace my hood shock lexus forum style. Thanks for that tip saves so much money, I have spend $12.00 @ autozone and simple drilling to remove the ball joints off the old hood shocks. overall I can't complaint with my lexus. Thanks alot for uniting together in this room to share our knowlegde and experiences with our Lexus. Saves me lots of money and very helpful when we need something. This is one way of beating the system, heck yeah!! Enjoy your Lexus and peace out.

Let's see-I've posted about 6 questions regarding the 94 LS that I purchased about 4 months ago with 99K miles. I've gotten great help, and have come to the following conclusions-

1. Light bulbs like to burn out. Easy to replace. If you own this car, DIY, and no problem.

2. Door window controls will get touchy. Remove and play with the drivers side control, and problem solved. You will need to revisit this area often-but you'll be a pro on it by then.

3. Buy mucho lubricants, and spray, spray, spray. Apply spray cleaners to the exposed engine areas, and electrical cleaner to all the plug-in parts.

4. Watch the tires-They are big and under a lot of pressure. It breaks my heart-and wallet-but the Pirelli P6000 tires-almost new-one has a bulge, and another a bad tread. Probably bad driving by the previous owner.

5. Power steering pump is like your ugly Aunt-Listen, be nice, and shut up.. It's gonna' fail, and the fluid loss is proof. I'm waiting for the squeal, and looking for the leak on the garage floor.

I traded my 4 cylinder, lousy radio, desert finish ruined 98 Honda Accord Coupe for this car. Also gave an extra $5,100-for a 94! Secret was that I never maintained the Honda-traded it at 98K. The Lexus was maintained, I love to work on it, and it should last a lot longer. Great ride, looks brand new.

Let's not talk about the mileage. It's all about the image. It's really an older Chick Magnet. Remember, you could be driving a Caddy in Florida.

Hey kripple,

You kind of caught my attention with the part about drilling to remove the shock? Did you replace the ball joints? The reason I'm asking is that I am toying with the idea of replacing my magensium wishbone upper control arms and ball joints at some point in the future. If you have done this, any assisantace would be appreciated.

The great thing about this forum is learning. Any detailed decriptions, an/or photos, of repairs you have made will benefit everyone.

And welcome to LOC, glad you are enjoying your LS.

Denny

Hi,

I work at Johnson Lexus in Raleigh, NC in the Detail Dpt. I drive every car that comes through the lexus service Dept. so that they can be washed. I have seen many LS400s with well over 250k. I do remember especially a 90 LS400 with 298k on the clock. I also heard from another guy that works in the detail dept about a car that he detailed with 365k on it. I dont think that you will have any worries about your car not lasting.

1UZ- how long have you worked there? You may have cleaned my aunts black 90 LS400 if you worked there in the mid 90s. My uncle bought it sometime between 1995-1997 from Johnson Lexus there in Raleigh. I think it had 55K when he bought it and paid something like $12,000 for it- but remember it was only about 6 years old and had low miles. I think they have about 180K on it now and have only had to replace normal maintainence items of course, as well as the starter. I think that is about it. I have not seen my aunts black 90 LS400 since I have bought my 90 LS400, so I do not really know how they compare with options. I think her car is a little better equipped than mine. My cars only options are sunroof, leather, remote entry, gold trim package. It lacks the air-suspension, Nak. sound system, CD player, & heated/memory seats, but those are options I would not use anyway.

BTW- my 90 LS400 has nearly 229,000 miles and still going and going. If I could only get rid of the annoying vibration between 35-65 mph. :wacko:

• 1 month later...

I have a December 1990 LS400 that I ran in Washington, DC and for past 12 years in San Francisco. It is still SWEET. I run with the lighs full on so my display panel for the stereo is partially out after 180,000. Lately the transmission is leaking a little (burning off inside the engine per the dealer) but rathe rthan pay $400-600 to repair, I simply top off with $2 of transmission fluid each month ... more cost effective. In 15 years of ownership, I have replaced the A/C condenser, one power window mechanism and that is it. Oops .. the sub bass woofer is a little weak too. I tried to get wracker/auto salvage sub-bass amplifeier several years with no luck. Dealer quotes me $600-800 to swap out sub-bass woofer in rear window area but cannot guarantee that wil fix my loss of certain low end frequencies. I am a musician and a music junkie so I notice the lack of low end fequencies but no one else seems to. On my LS430s of course the stereos are *wonderful*.

Aaron

p.s. I also have a 1998 LS400 and two 2002 LS430s ... all white. I bought some aftermarket Japanese add ons in Tokyo one year and added a Celsior tail to my 1998. Very nice!

I have a December 1990 LS400 that I ran in Washington, DC and for past 12 years in San Francisco. It is still SWEET. I run with the lighs full on so my display panel for the stereo is partially out after 180,000. Lately the transmission is leaking a little (burning off inside the engine per the dealer) but rathe rthan pay $400-600 to repair, I simply top off with $2 of transmission fluid each month ... more cost effective. In 15 years of ownership, I have replaced the A/C condenser, one power window mechanism and that is it. Oops .. the sub bass woofer is a little weak too. I tried to get wracker/auto salvage sub-bass amplifeier several years with no luck. Dealer quotes me $600-800 to swap out sub-bass woofer in rear window area but cannot guarantee that wil fix my loss of certain low end frequencies. I am a musician and a music junkie so I notice the lack of low end fequencies but no one else seems to. On my LS430s of course the stereos are *wonderful*.

Aaron

p.s. I also have a 1998 LS400 and two 2002 LS430s ... all white. I bought some aftermarket Japanese add ons in Tokyo one year and added a Celsior tail to my 1998. Very nice!

:cheers: 166772, 2 accidents and 2 owners and still getting 21 23 mpg's.

"Gotta love it!"

Congrats on the performance of your cars. Same here. My father owned my LS before me, and he performed general maintenance to the letter. When I picked up the car with 132k on it(Currrently at 192k) the car was purring, but now it's showing wear&tear. I still love it though.

• 3 weeks later...

180k miles on my '91 LS400

Dealer maintained, no major repairs encountered after the the 90k expensive tune up (Timing belt etc)..

Neighbour has a '93 LS400 with 344k miles..

Climate control LCD not working only, and car has slight clicking sound.

LS400 are reliable :D

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Just joined the forum. I've got a '91 LS400 with 180K - I've had it since about 155K - got it from my Dad after he got himself a '99. :) He had it from about 50K or so.

I guess he knew it was headed for some issues when he gave it to me - since I've had it, I've had to replace lower front ball-joints - power steering pump - alternator (probably because of leaky PS pump). The A/C Compressor is shot, and now I believe the Water Pump is leaking (I'm losing coolant). I have a hard time stomaching the cost of parts for this car - the A/C compressor is outrageous - so I'll just drive the car in the non-summer months. I'm looking at replacing the water pump soon (as soon as my other car is more reliable).

I have a few q's for the experienced types out there...

1. Does this engine ever have issues with emissions parts? I've started to notice a surging/missing sensation when cruising at lower speeds (say 40mph) with the tranny in O/D. It accelerates smoothly and briskly still. I had a similar experience with blocked EGR ports on a Nissan. (Note - the car has been run on mid-grade gas since my Dad had it - not super - is that a potential issue?)

2. Does anyone know of a good wholesale parts place online? I've got a local Toyota dealer willing to work on the car - and use my parts... This should make replacing the water pump and timing belts a little more palletable. Of course, I'd attempt this myself if only I had a decent garage to work in - but the new house didn't come with one, and I can't afford to build one and/or wait.. :)

Thanks for any tips!!!!

You guys are in for a treat..... The only issue of Lexus magazine I received contained this article: 555,000 LS400 :o!!! After seeing this I'm thinking a well maintained LS can go 1,000,000+ miles...roll over the odometer! If anyone ever gets over a million miles on their LS they definitely deserve an article!!! I have a 91 and have over 142K on the clock...."just the beginning...." :D

lexls002.jpg

In my opinion the Honda Accord is equally reliable as the LS400, with significantly cheaper maintanence price. My old 90 Honda Accord EX now has around 247,000 miles on it and still runs trouble free (A/C still works too!). Although the noise level is much louder than the LS, I never have to deal with problems like leaky power steering pump, worn ball joints, torn engine/tranny mounts, vibration, electrical problems, etc, etc, on my Honda. My compressor is still original and I never had problem with bad bushing or compressor whining. All I did was regular oil changes and it lasted me this long.

Overall, Japanese cars have tough quality control when being exported into foreign countries. Strangely, one of my co-worker, who is from Osaka Japan, told me that in Japan most people prefer American automobiles. They view their own Japanese cars as the problem car while American cars as the reliable workhorse!