How Long Can A 91 Ls400 Go?

91ls400

My '90 just hit 265,000 this weekend, Lexus has a complete service history of the car right up to about 197k. I bought the car with about 247k, so theres about a 50k mile unknown period, and unless something major was replaced during that time (doubtfully), then the car had just normal maintenance done, typical LS stuff, ball joints, control arms, tb/wp, misc electronic gremlins. I've had to replace the master window switch, the multi-switch, climate control lcd, climate control bulbs, lower ball joints, tb/wp, front main, caps/rotors, plugs/wires, outer tie rods, alternator, and engine/trans mounts. My rear main is seeping, but not enough for me to tackle right away, my trans pan leaks (I have a new gasket&filter, just haven't gotten around to it), my temp gauge stopped working, and theres a little play in the steering that I haven't narrowed down yet, but otherwise, the car runs/drives amazingly for its age and mileage. Body is in great shape, so i'm hoping to get some new leathers for it this summer to freshen it up.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there an interesting story to go along with that - braheem?! :)

[were you driving at the time - that sort thing]

Craig!! :)

Sorry Craig didnt see the post, no interesting story that I remeber of, I think I was just starting the car in the morning come to think of it :blushing:

...I broke my axle bolts on my porsche from accelrating too hard, does that count as an interesting story, had it on cruise at 145MPH :whistles:

Sorry Bro, just cranked the car in the morning and it sounded like the starter went out.

Traveling at 145 MPH there is NO Porsche that can produce enough torque for acceleration to break axle bolts...

Perhaps you didn't mean simultaneously...?

Or you downshifted TOO FAR...?

• 5 months later...

Just got a hand-me-down 1991 LS from my brother in law. 771K all original drivetrain and bearings. I think it is on its 5th timing belt...

Being a former Toyota mechanic...and posts like yours sir...are reasons why I jumped when I found a 92 LS400. She's giving me a fit right now...but I've never smiled so much driving ANY other car.

Aged cars tend to have problems related to electronics components. This is just about general affairs but let me introduce my experience. Old Celsiors in Japan tend to fail ECUs, Climate control units, clusters and etc. The situations are just the same in US especially at higher temperature states.

I am working as a volunteer at different car repairing shops to help them to fix units which have electronics components inside. Most of workers and owners at shops are not familiar to electronics related affairs and they just try to replace the whole unit. New units are expensive and not available easily. Used units picked up from a junk yard are often used instead and these cause other problems time to time. I have seen many shop owners were not happy with those situations.

One of the biggest problem is worn electrolytic capacitors. They tend to fail as aged. Some are leaking the liquid but most of them can not be recognized at a glance. Especially the Type "PF" used for early LS400 has this tendency due to the fact that the infamous liquid called the ammonium chloride was in use.The liquid inside is leaking or evaporating little by little and the capacitance is getting less with the higher impedance. Sometimes leaked liquid damages the board. Toyota has started to use this type of electrolytic capacitors a lot in late 80s and you can not escape from the problem caused by those capacitors. The LS400 is also in use of this type of electrolytic capacitors and you will be encountering the problem soon or later.

When you need to use some old used unit, check inside to see the electrolytic capacitors are OK. I recommend you to replace all the electrolytic capacitors used inside.