How Long Can A 91 Ls400 Go?

91ls400

I have a 1990 that has had the typical repairs, t/belt, p/s pump, pulleys, and some suspension items. Got over 350,000 miles now and has never broken down. Best car I have ever owned.

holy crap! 350? dang dude. Lets see some odo pics. Just for kicks!

I was cruisin at 95 mph the other day. Couldn't hear a thing. Eek, coulda lost my license. i guess 229 aint nuthin

My father inlaws 92 ls400 has over 550k he is very, VERY meticulous about his autos ( he has 7 lex/toys) and is an ex pilot who maintained his own planes................ Need I say more? If you really need more details on what oil/coolant/ tires/ etc... he used be specific. And the LS is in showroom condition for being 15+ years old. Pearl white, full tint, Arizona only car..........................................:cheers:

Cheers indeed!

My 400 SL has 421K and I thought I was doing well.

I nearly made a $100 when the Jiffy Lube guy said:

Lady--You not reading it right---I bet you a $100 dollars it is $42,000

---well, I felt sorry for him when he saw the guage and didn't ask for the C note ...:cheers:

Now that's funny, it's always good to see peoples reactions when they are wrong.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how many miles would have been on my 91 LS400 if I still had it.

Back in 96 it had 110K miles on it.

Then it was in an accident and was totalled by my insurance company.

Just for fun, let's back calculate and see what I would have if I kept it.

At 22K miles per year x 16 years = 352K miles! Wow!

OK, I know that's not real miles but I have 234K miles on my 98 ES300 :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Hello Lexus owners:

One of my customers has a '92 LS 400 with 122,000 miles. He thinks the timing belt is original. Does anyone know when the belt should be replaced? Does anyone know about how long they last?

Thanks

--Paul Smith

Cary, N.C.

Hi i have a 1991 ls400 with 116,000k on it,my water pump started to leak at the gasket so when i had every thing off i thougth i should just replace every thing while i was in there.

My belt was not in the best of shape when i lookd at it but i think it still would have lasted to about 120,000k.

I didn't know they had a 1989 LS 400.

Well, they went on sale in late 1989 (and made in 1989 obviously), but were sold as 1990 models. :)

It was officially first seen at an auto show in January of 1989 and went on sale in North America in September 1989. Thats probably when this gentlemen bought his LS.

Its hard to believe I posted in this thread over 6 years ago when I had my old LS400 (made in February of 1990). It ended up going to 255K before I sold it (in late 2004), still running very well, aside from the vibration that my current LS also has, which I think is the motor mounts. The young lady I sold it car crashed the car twice shortly after I sold it... last time, something happened to the engine because of the crash and it damaged the engine because she kept driving it. :o

My current LS400 is a year newer than my last LS (made in February of 1991) and it just turned over 220K. Major mechanicals are fine, but it has alot of little annoying issues - power steering pump leaks (and I think is whats making the knocking sound I hear sometimes at idle), motor mounts/transmission mount are bad, valve cover gaskets seeping abit (I can smell it sometimes) - thats it, but these are all costly to repair/replace items. Hopefully I will get to them someday, or sell the car. Still debating. About 3 months ago I had to have the fan bracket bearing replaced. Other than that, it leaks no other fluids, tranny shifts fine, etc.

My 1996 now has 133K miles on it. I just had some suspension work done (radius arms and sway bar bushings) and now it's back to driving like a dream. It's at the point where I have to do stuff like the engine and trans mounts, rear suspension bushings and looks like I need new front struts. I'll do all of this stuff over the next year or so, but I'm very happy with this car. Barring an accident or something, I plan on having this car for a very long time. The only thing that concerns me about this car are gas prices. They're projected to go back up to $ 100 a barrel during the next year or so, which mean $4 gas again. Even though it gets good gas mileage, I don't like having to pay $ 75+ for a fill up. :angry:

My 1996 now has 133K miles on it. I just had some suspension work done (radius arms and sway bar bushings) and now it's back to driving like a dream. It's at the point where I have to do stuff like the engine and trans mounts, rear suspension bushings and looks like I need new front struts. I'll do all of this stuff over the next year or so, but I'm very happy with this car. Barring an accident or something, I plan on having this car for a very long time. The only thing that concerns me about this car are gas prices. They're projected to go back up to $ 100 a barrel during the next year or so, which mean $4 gas again. Even though it gets good gas mileage, I don't like having to pay $ 75+ for a fill up. :angry:

Where did you get the sway bar bushings?

Where did you get the sway bar bushings?

I order all the parts for my car from this link:

http://mylexparts.com/

I've ordered from them at least twice and have been satisfied. They're very good with telephone support also on questions.

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I have a 1991 Ls400 with 585,000 kilometers (363502 miles) and runs really well. The secret is to keep on top of the maintenance. I am extremely happy with this car. I bought it with 186,000 kilometers 11 years ago. It's got to be one of the best built cars on this planet! I would bet it would go to 1 million kilometers with very few more problems. ;-) Daffy.

• 1 month later...

I bought my '93 LS400 brand new in December of 1992. Now, 17 1/2 years later it has 263,000 mile, and it still looks and runs as good as the day I got it. It's always garaged at night and all scheduled maintenance has been performed only by the Lexus dealer. It's never left me stranded and it's never had any major problems. Other than scheduled maintenance, it's only required a few minor things like the water pump and power steering pump. Even today, when people get in my car they compliment it saying, "wow, nice car... what year is this?" When I tell them the year and mileage, they almost have a heart attack.

I thought I'd hop on the band wagon, except I just sold my 92 LS400. It had 238,341 miles on it. The interior was getting a bit worn and the A/C was not cooling anymore. Other than that, the car ran perfect. Someday I'll get another LS. For now, I have 3 other cars to contend with including a Volvo T5 wagon that just turned 180,000 miles. It's the next vehicle that needs babying.

I recently recievied a 1991 ls400 with 155k miles. Before I got the car it had standard work done on it, replaced timing belt, water pump, fixed power stearing leak, oil change, and oil filter . Beside from other not so important problems like the blacked out clock, broken remote entry, no electric trunk release, partially working stereo, and worn out seats there isn't anything seriously wrong with the car. Several people have remarked that a car with that many miles is very unreliable. All I have read on this site is that this car will last much longer. Is there any problem I should be concerned about and how much longer will my car last without needing huge repairs. All of the work on the car has been done by a Toyota or Lexus Dealership.

I'm sure there are die hard Lexus owners that still get thier babies serviced at Lexus - it would be neat to rifle through the Lexus Database and look at some of the mileage the cars are clocking - for sure these cars can go 1 mil + with the proper maintanance - if a camry can do it the LS sure can!

mine is a 95 LS with 240k now with wonderful compression in all cylinders.

• 4 weeks later...

my 97 LS just turned over 249k,

replaced:

TB/WP @ 240, 2-Cat/converter, Rotors & pads, Strut rod bushings, Engine mounts & a tranny mount,

and it runs solid and quite....

coach edition, clean as a pin,.

post-5365-128078974711_thumb.jpg

post-5365-128078976285_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Doesn't anybody have one of the tanks over the 300K mark?

This should be a common milestone for the LS. All you have to do is change the oil in a Honda Civic and she'll go 225-250,000!!! Talk about low maintenace.....

I just hit 358,000 on my 2000 LS400. The miles are almost all highway. It runs well and handles my 50k yearly work commute. I'd like opinions on whether I should maintain it(replace the rubber parts,etc) and get the next timing belt in about 40,000 or buy a 07 or 08 Avalon Limited.Any advice or your opinions will be appreciated.

My indy mechanic says I hold a car too long for a newer LS to make sense in that they have more expensive upkeep that could cause me trouble. The nagging issue for me with my car is the plastic tube from the radiator deteriorating such that the the gasket has to be cinched up high and checked periodically to keep the hose on. The car will also run hot if I'm in gridlock for 40 minutes or so, and I then turn up the heat to get the temp down. This was a trip over our hot New England summer!

my 90 ls 400 hit the 277k mark; although it was garaged for 4 yrs; i believe that is worse than 4 yrs of driving; i think the owner had everything done at a lexus dealer; sticker on timing belt cover says to change it at 110k; i guess they didnt bring it back in and i havent done it yet; im gonna do the wires plugs caps and rotors soon; I have a small exhaust leak but havent gotten it fixwed yet because i might need 2 catalyitic converters; it wont pass emissions and i dont think its the egr we cleaned that out(gunked up pretty bad) egr modulater has clogged filter in it but i just blow it off; small antifreeze leak even after changing the oring on the senseor; and the infamous white wire problem has yet to be fixed; other than that just the same problems everyone else has(radio lights etc..)great car I heard they can go 450k; after reading these vents Im waiting to see mine with that on the odometer. I heard it was the toyota version of the mercedes benz; donk care much for onr of those just want my ls Peace....

• 1 year later...

Just got a hand-me-down 1991 LS from my brother in law. 771K all original drivetrain and bearings. I think it is on its 5th timing belt...

Lord above!!!

Impressive. Does it have same transmission? I'd be curious to know what major parts have been replaced, major repairs done.

I'm only at 414,000 miles and my indy mechanic won't put another belt on it, wants me to buy an Avalon 06-present.