How Long Can A 91 Ls400 Go?

91ls400

I didn't realize that they had that many US cars in Japan. I thought their streets were really narrow, their gas was expensive, and the steering wheel was on the other side? Do they make American cars with right hand drive even?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion the Honda Accord is equally reliable as the LS400, with significantly cheaper maintanence price. My old 90 Honda Accord EX now has around 247,000 miles on it and still runs trouble free (A/C still works too!). Although the noise level is much louder than the LS, I never have to deal with problems like leaky power steering pump, worn ball joints, torn engine/tranny mounts, vibration, electrical problems, etc, etc, on my Honda. My compressor is still original and I never had problem with bad bushing or compressor whining. All I did was regular oil changes and it lasted me this long.

Overall, Japanese cars have tough quality control when being exported into foreign countries. Strangely, one of my co-worker, who is from Osaka Japan, told me that in Japan most people prefer American automobiles. They view their own Japanese cars as the problem car while American cars as the reliable workhorse!

I agree with you flanker......

The LS is not inexpensive to maintain...........even DIY----compared to the common 4 cylinder accords and corollas & civics & camry's........etc...etc...

The LS just happens to include more room, a wisper quiet ride, solid power, and a smooth suspension.

I thought their streets were really narrow, their gas was expensive, and the steering wheel was on the other side? Do they make American cars with right hand drive even?

Good point! I've never thought of that. Let me ask him tomorrow at office to see what he says!

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Know this is a VERY old thread but jsut to help future buyers...

I just picked up my '98 LS in Calif. this weekend. Stopped in Barstow to top off the tank and pulled in behind an old guy who was doing the same to his Harley. He looked back at the Lexus and said,

>Nice car huh! I have one just like it, well perhaps a little older, what year is yours?

>>1998

>Oh, mine is a ’91, I have 425,000 miles on it and just put in a rebuilt transmission at 416,000, that is about all I have done to it.

>>Mine has 171,000.

>That’s barely broken in!--and off he went.

That made me feel a whole lot better about buyuing my hihg-miler!

Then wanted to check something at my mechanic today--shelled out $26 for some piece of mind--and asked him if he would put in part I puchased on line (I will need to save some cash when that time comes). Sure he said, but I have a customer who brings in his '98 for oil changes, he has 225k and never needs anything else done to it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My 91 LS400 has 285,000. Just put new ball joints in. I have the standard problems mentioned in the forum - hood struts, clock/radio display, attenea doesn't retract fully, A/C doesn't work. The car has been well maintained with the 60,000 mile service beeing done 4x. Timing belt was replaced at 250k just for kicks (last one was at 150k, I think). I'm hoping for 350K although I'm starting to wonder. Next repair will be the drive belt pulleys/tensioners or the power steering pump, both of which are starting to make noise.

• 2 months later...

My 1990 LS 400 has just over 176,000 miles on it. The timing belt, including water pump, thermostat, pullies were just changed and at the same time I had the coolant hoses and drive belt replaced as well. Other than that, the wear and tear is mostly cosmetic. The driver side lock has loosend off and pushed into the door panel, so I must get that repaired. Otherwise the car is running smoothly with great ride. Just put new 225/60/15 tires on and that has made a huge difference with overall road manners.

• 7 months later...

My fathers 90 ls400 turned 500k 3wk ago. developed ball joint probs that would require at least 2 at

$600 a pop- so he traded for an ls430 with 30k.

He changed the oil every 2-3k. He changed the timing belt every 100k (and water pump, since it was right there).

And he drove the hell out of it.

Ac went. dash lcd went. leather wore. Engine sounded a little louder (but he cant hear thunder, so he didn' notice).

Had to put a rear strut on. Rust rear quarter panel.

Never ever broke down except for a heater hose I replaced by the side of the road.

Cheapest car he ever had.

He figured Lexus should give him a new one as a testament to durability, but they didn't.

My fathers 90 ls400 turned 500k 3wk ago. developed ball joint probs that would require at least 2 at

$600 a pop- so he traded for an ls430 with 30k.

He changed the oil every 2-3k. He changed the timing belt every 100k (and water pump, since it was right there).

And he drove the hell out of it.

Ac went. dash lcd went. leather wore. Engine sounded a little louder (but he cant hear thunder, so he didn' notice).

Had to put a rear strut on. Rust rear quarter panel.

Never ever broke down except for a heater hose I replaced by the side of the road.

Cheapest car he ever had.

He figured Lexus should give him a new one as a testament to durability, but they didn't.

Now that's inspiring! It sounds like I'm going to have my LS 400 with 41K miles for at least ten years. That's fine by me as I'm really not the type of person to trade frequently as that tends to burn up money. I just came out of a Maxima which I sold to my daughter with 175K miles and I'm looking to get at least that from my LS

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I bought my '91 lexus used with 63k on it in '96. i now have 253k and it still looks brand new and runs like the day i got it. i have no plans to retire this car. my husband does all the repairs and get lots of advice from lexus service mechanics at the local dealership. they have told him the car is just broken it and that i can expect it to go beyond 450k. like everyone else, the lcd panel is black. my remote entry key does not work even though i have changed the battery. i have had a rocker arm replaced but that is the most major work that has been done. i do an oil change every 3k miles, the timing belt gets replaced at 100k, and routine brake repair done when they squeak - like right now. the leather interior driver's seat is drying out but i routinely give it a leather treatment. i have dings and scratches repaired about every 18 months. the car has no rust because it is garaged. i love this car!

i have a '90 LS400 which i bought a little over a year ago for $4,000 with ONLY 55K on it!!! it was a two-owner car and i bought it from an elderly woman who wanted to get rid of it because her husband passed away. so far, i replaced the battery, the alternator, and the two rear struts. the leather on the driver's seat it a little beat up in one area, the seat memory buttons don't work, and the a/c isn't working either. not sure what the problem it - might be the compressor.

i'm VERY happy with the car! it runs smooth!

I have a 1990 that has had the typical repairs, t/belt, p/s pump, pulleys, and some suspension items. Got over 350,000 miles now and has never broken down. Best car I have ever owned.

I have a 1990 that has had the typical repairs, t/belt, p/s pump, pulleys, and some suspension items. Got over 350,000 miles now and has never broken down. Best car I have ever owned.

holy crap! 350? dang dude. Lets see some odo pics. Just for kicks!

I was cruisin at 95 mph the other day. Couldn't hear a thing. Eek, coulda lost my license. i guess 229 aint nuthin

I was cruisin at 95 mph the other day. Couldn't hear a thing. Eek, coulda lost my license. i guess 229 aint nuthin

My father inlaws 92 ls400 has over 550k he is very, VERY meticulous about his autos ( he has 7 lex/toys) and is an ex pilot who maintained his own planes................ Need I say more? If you really need more details on what oil/coolant/ tires/ etc... he used be specific. And the LS is in showroom condition for being 15+ years old. Pearl white, full tint, Arizona only car.......................................... :cheers:

i want his car. my tag would say 600k. arizona cars always seem pristine. i guess dry heat is good.

What oil and tires and coolant does he use? Do i really need toyota red? its $20 a gallon

i want his car. my tag would say 600k. arizona cars always seem pristine. i guess dry heat is good.

What oil and tires and coolant does he use? Do i really need toyota red? its $20 a gallon

Neo synthetic oil 5w-30, Redline synthetic ATF

Evans waterless coolant (1,000,000 mi. guarantee warranty) He put the coolant in once and drained and filled after 3k mi. never a leak, NEVER..........

Michelins, Michelins, Michelins

Factory spec plugs, No variance.

All the suspension bushings were changed every 100k. Just like a oil change. Rear diff oil every 30k.......

Next ?

My father inlaws 92 ls400 has over 550k he is very, VERY meticulous about his autos ( he has 7 lex/toys) and is an ex pilot who maintained his own planes................ Need I say more? If you really need more details on what oil/coolant/ tires/ etc... he used be specific. And the LS is in showroom condition for being 15+ years old. Pearl white, full tint, Arizona only car..........................................:cheers:

Cheers indeed!

My 400 SL has 421K and I thought I was doing well.

I nearly made a $100 when the Jiffy Lube guy said:

Lady--You not reading it right---I bet you a $100 dollars it is $42,000

---well, I felt sorry for him when he saw the guage and didn't ask for the C note ... :cheers:

My father inlaws 92 ls400 has over 550k he is very, VERY meticulous about his autos ( he has 7 lex/toys) and is an ex pilot who maintained his own planes................ Need I say more? If you really need more details on what oil/coolant/ tires/ etc... he used be specific. And the LS is in showroom condition for being 15+ years old. Pearl white, full tint, Arizona only car..........................................:cheers:

Cheers indeed!

My 400 SL has 421K and I thought I was doing well.

I nearly made a $100 when the Jiffy Lube guy said:

Lady--You not reading it right---I bet you a $100 dollars it is $42,000

---well, I felt sorry for him when he saw the guage and didn't ask for the C note ...:cheers:

The drawback is that he has been diagnosed with cancer :cries: :cries: :cries: He's 82 (TOO YOUNG) :cries: :cries: :cries: . I may very well have that car in the future ( I hope it's not for at least another 82 years) You understand. Life goes on.................