Changing Spark Plugs - 93 Es300

ES3

Anyone have any suggestions/hints for changing the two rear spark plugs (nearest to firewall - driver side)? Do I have to remove the air intake? The front three and the rear-passenger side plugs were easy. Now how do I get to the other two?

Thanks.

otherwise I would go with NGK copper spark plugs

Why would you even consider using a spark plug that uses copper instead of platinum? Is it to save a few bucks? :chairshot:

Why would you even consider using a spark plug that uses copper instead of platinum? Is it to save a few bucks?

because copper plugs is better than platinum...ie, you will get a bigger/brighter sparks...

the down side is they wear out faster...for copper plugs to stay efficient, you need to re-gap them

around 10k and replace them about 15~20k.

once you have taken the intake off a few times, it is not that bad....I just don't like to play around with

coolants spilling on the floor...oh well, I guess it is not as bad as some V8, which you have to drop the engine to get to the rear plugs...

because copper plugs is better than platinum...ie, you will get a bigger/brighter sparks...

Wrong! If your ignition system is working properly a platinum spark plug will give you as good a spark as the copper spark plug. This is accomplished by using a larger gap between the electrodes in the platinum type. Also, the ES ignition systems have NO problems firing a spark plug with the wider gap. ;)

When I put Iridium plugs in my truck you could hear the smoother idle! Very low voltage required, creating a spark that's longer & hotter. Only bad part is they cost $13 EACH.

I put the factory spec Platinum’s from AutoZone in the Lexus.

can you re-gap iridium plugs?

my choice of spark plugs:

copper vs platium....copper (there is a big difference if you take the engine constantly to redline...

platium just don't give you the hp/response the copper plugs do.)

and, after a bit search online testimonies/dyno:

copper vs iridium....iridium (I knew they were good...but it was the price that holds me back...

but given the hassle of removing the intake plenum....I think it is worth the price.)

there is a big difference if you take the engine constantly to redline...

Why do you constantly take your car to redline? An ES is NOT a dragster!

err...not the ES...I don't think toyota V6 likes to live its life even close redline...

I did, tried to floor the gas pedal...and it refused to go beyond 5k rpm...

oh well, I didn't buy the ES to go fast to start with :)

but back to the point...If I can access the rear plugs easily...I would go with copper...they are like

$1.50/each....and they are good....but since the intake is on the way...I am scouting for some iridium

plugs...so far, the cheapest I found is about $7 each....I think I will just get some.