2000 Rx 300 - Parking Brake Not Releasing

walspj1

Hello everyone,

I am the proud owner of a 2000 RX 300 that I bought from a family member a little over a year ago. This morning, I went to start the car for the drive to work and the parking brake would not release when I pushed the pedal forward. I attributed it to the weather (it was 18 degrees out when I was on my way to work this morning) and thought maybe something was frozen on the inside. When I eventually did get it to release, the pedal would not rise as high as it normally would and there was no resistance from the parking brake when I went to push it back down. I could tell that the brakes had not completely released because I could hear the wheels screeching as I tried to back out of my parking spot.

So, does anyone have any ideas on how (or if) I can get this fixed painlessly? Even if that means taking it into the shop, I'm fine with that. If it does come to that, how much do you think having this repaired will run me? Thanks a lot for your input.

I had mine stick once when I was in freezing cold weather and parked out side. This was on my 2000 RX that I just traded in for th 08 350. You need to get it thawed out first then spray some dry silicone lube inside the cable housing under the car. You have to peel back the rubber boots to get the spray lube inside the cable housing. Mine never stuck again.

Jeff

I had mine stick once when I was in freezing cold weather and parked out side. This was on my 2000 RX that I just traded in for th 08 350. You need to get it thawed out first then spray some dry silicone lube inside the cable housing under the car. You have to peel back the rubber boots to get the spray lube inside the cable housing. Mine never stuck again.

Jeff

Thank you very much. I should probably also mention that the car has ~64000 miles on it and the seller was kind enough to replace the entire brake system before I bought it. It received its routine maintenence check last November and everything came out OK.

I spoke to a mechanic today who told me that the brake line might be corroded with age or just frozen over (which I'm hoping is the case).