2004 Lexus Is300

leedoobert

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I am in dire need of some advice...I am thinking of buying a 2nd hand 2004 Lexus IS300...here are some of the stats for the car:

- manual 5 speed

- ~ 74K miles

- Full L-tuned kit w/ fogs

- Tein Basic Coilovers

- Custom grill

- Work Euroline FS(18x9F,18x10R +25)

- Polished AEM intake

- Alphawerks Y-Pipe

- Custom B-Pipe(no resonator)

- Veilside Teardrop axleback exhaust

- JIC CF strut bar

- 6000k HIDs

The owner selling is the 2nd owner, and with all these mods / high mileage, I am a bit worried that this car has been pedal-pushed to the max by its current owner...

Seller is asking for $19K...but he might possibly budge to a lower price...what price do you guys think is reasonable for this car?

I do have the VIN# on hand if somebody does have unlimited access to carfax for this month...I can PM you the VIN# =)

So what do you guys think? DEAL or NO DEAL?

thanks for the help!

ok so i took a look at the car and the owner is still asking way too much for the car ($18K)

as such, I found a new car...

its a 2001 IS300, black exterior with tan interior

- 1 owner

- auto

- 36,000 miles

- clean title (carfax checks out)

- adult driven (owner is early 30's)

seller is asking for $15K, but i think i can talk them down to at least $13K

what do you guys think?

$12,000 to $13,000 would be a decent price, assuming all maintenace has been done on time. That's really low mileage for a 2001 so I expect it's in really good shape. If you can take it to a Lexus dealer they'll do a complete inspection for around $100. I think they do the same inspection they do when they take a car in trade so it's pretty good.

There were some ECU and other TSB's that needed to be done on that year's model. If they were done they should be in the Lexus computer system. I'd get that checked too.

$12K-$13K sounds really good to me...I live in San Francisco, CA and prices are way over-inflated here...I'll go take a look at the car and see how much the seller is willing to budge...

So, if I take it to a Lexus dealership and get it inspected, they will tell me what needs to be upgraded and such on the 2001 model? I hear the 2002 model got revamped and had some major improvements since 2001...but with this mileage for a well-kept car, I'm tempted to get it...

Are there any other upgrades that needed to be serviced on the 2001 model? besides the ECU and TSB's?

thanks for the advice!

$12K-$13K sounds really good to me...I live in San Francisco, CA and prices are way over-inflated here...I'll go take a look at the car and see how much the seller is willing to budge...

So, if I take it to a Lexus dealership and get it inspected, they will tell me what needs to be upgraded and such on the 2001 model? I hear the 2002 model got revamped and had some major improvements since 2001...but with this mileage for a well-kept car, I'm tempted to get it...

Are there any other upgrades that needed to be serviced on the 2001 model? besides the ECU and TSB's?

thanks for the advice!

Lexus can tell you if there's anything wrong with the car. The TSB's should have already been done. I don't know if there was a time limit on that or not. The computer records will tell if it has.

i did a little research and noticed that the 2001 IS300 model has the following differences from the other models:

2001 Model Year

New Models:

- E-Shift IS300 sedan introduced, no 5-Speed Manual option

Exterior:

- Four horizontal bars on front grille, emblem molded into grille

- Chrome taillights only

Initial colors offered:

- Auburn Sky Pearl (ASP)

- Black Onyx (BO)

- Diamond White Pearl (DWP)

- Graphite Gray Pearl (GGP)

- Imperial Jade Mica (IJM)

- Millennium Silver Metallic (MSM)

- Spectra Blue Mica (SBM)

- Solar Yellow (SY)

Interior:

- Seating choices are Black Fabric and Black or Ivory Leather/Ecsaine

- Optional Lexus Luxury Package includes:

- Ivory Leather/Ecsaine Interior with Tan Piping

- Black & Ivory instrument panel

- Walnut Switch (door) Plates

- Power Seats & Homelink

For all Black & non-Luxury Package Ivory interiors, black dash and center console with gray trim extending from above the lint tray down around the shift knob and also above the steering column and glove compartment for (this color matches the AC and radio knobs' trim)

Floormats Have Lexus "L" Emblem and read "IS300"

Mechanical:

- Underbody panels (plastic) prone to failure

Other:

- Tool tray in trunk (two-piece) constructed of styrofoam

should I be worried about the underbody panels? is it a big issue?

also, I was thinking of outiftting it with a carson bodykit since they don't make the L-tune kit anymore...does anyone have a price range of how much the carson kit costs?

I wouldn't worry about the under panels. especially if your gonna put a body kit on it. And you can get a cheap, you put alot of work into it kit for around $600, all the way up to, all you need is a socket wrench and a screw driver for around $2,500.00 on up.

You can go to L-Tuned.com and look up the prices for yourself.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/index.php

so i decided to pull the trigger on the 2001 IS300! I checked out the car and its sweeeet!!

maybe this is a newbie question...but, when I go over to the DMV to transfer the title from the seller to me, how much should the seller write down on the form that is asking for the sales price of the car?

obviously, as the buyer, I want to pay the LEAST amount of tax possible...

is it feasible to have the seller write it off as a gift? or for a really low amount like $5000 or something?

does anyone know the consequences for doing such an action? I don't want to get into trouble with the IRS...LOL

You know, for all the cars Iv'e bought and sold, I have allways just done it straight up. So I really don't know. You would think there are some consequences if you were to get found out, or else I'm sure more people would be doing it.

so i decided to pull the trigger on the 2001 IS300! I checked out the car and its sweeeet!!

maybe this is a newbie question...but, when I go over to the DMV to transfer the title from the seller to me, how much should the seller write down on the form that is asking for the sales price of the car?

obviously, as the buyer, I want to pay the LEAST amount of tax possible...

is it feasible to have the seller write it off as a gift? or for a really low amount like $5000 or something?

does anyone know the consequences for doing such an action? I don't want to get into trouble with the IRS...LOL

The tax people have lists of car values. If you make it some ridiculous amount they'll catch you. And if you put a silly amount on the bill of sale, what you gonna say when you go to sell the car yourself?

I was thinking...well, how are they gonna catch you?

Even if you are confronted, what prevents you from saying that yes, the seller was one of your very good friends and he pretty much just "gave" it to you for a super cheap price. There's no law that says I can't sell my car dirt cheap to my best friend. Its basically their word against yours...there's no hard evidence to show that I cheated right? (assuming that the seller goes with the same story as you)

am I right?

or am I just being cheap?

i probably won't end up selling it...if anything, i'd probably give it to family =)

I was thinking...well, how are they gonna catch you?

Even if you are confronted, what prevents you from saying that yes, the seller was one of your very good friends and he pretty much just "gave" it to you for a super cheap price. There's no law that says I can't sell my car dirt cheap to my best friend. Its basically their word against yours...there's no hard evidence to show that I cheated right? (assuming that the seller goes with the same story as you)

am I right?

or am I just being cheap?

i probably won't end up selling it...if anything, i'd probably give it to family =)

Do whatever you feel like doing then. We're not really here to debate whether you try to cheat on taxes or not.

Yeah, I have to agree with Bartkat, if you wanna save a buck by cheating the tax man, then happy day. And when your ready to put an intercooled turbocharger system, dropped, locked, built and polished, we'll be here for ya bro! B)

• 2 weeks later...

[leedobert ill make you a heck of a deal on mine. its a 2001 is 300 in DWP diamond white pearl. has 62k and every oil change record as well as the tire rotation records. it has slight front end damge and NO frame damage and i have almost everything to fix it. ill do you way better than those prices and mine is spotless on the inside and still smells new. it has been in my garrage waiting for me to have the time to fix it....car is in awesome shape and has most everything it needs....only prob is im in Kentucky!

Let me know if I can help you!