Building System For 1994 Ls400 -- Need Your Help. Audio.

Hey guys --

I am to pick up my 1994 LS400 from the shop Wednesday or so this week. It has the factory 'Pioneer' head unit. No nakam... But it still sounds pretty good stock.

My last sytem I built when I was 16 -- and kept it for 3-4yrs.

This was about 10yrs ago. At that time, I went with very good brands on all equipment.. though it has been a decade so I am unsure if these brands still are made, and if they are still 'good'.

The system I had was a custom box, no port holes. With two JL Audio 12" Subs, (JLW6) versions, as oppossed to the W1's, and I believe they had a midgrade W3.. been a while. (Basically higher RMS, and a much bigger magnet).

I amped the 12's with two Kenwood amps, each put out a very clean low distortion ratio 100Watts "RMS". The bass from this system was surprisingly freakish. It was clean, and sounded better than 90% of the systems I came across. People always asked me what I did to get the sound I did for such low wattage, etc.

Bottom line reason this sounded so good, and clean, and produced the DB's it did was because it was rear mounted in my 1991 300ZX. The hatchback in that car made the accoustics for the subs perfect. IE: If this same sub setup was put in a trunk of another car it wouldn't sound nearly as good.. etc.

I left the rears stock.. I believe I didn't even have them operational. It was a 2-seater, so that wasn't really necessary. I bought a mid-grade Kenwood CD player for the head unit. Then the Mid's were 6 1/2 MBQUARTS. (These were the top of the line Mid's at the time ) -- At the time I got them for a deal, but even at that the pair was $350. Built in crossovers, etc.

Each of the MB Quart 6 1/2 mids were mounted in each door kick panel. They took 75Watts a piece RMS. (Nearly the amount the subs pulled).

I used a single kenwood, 150Watt amped bridged/split to run 75Wx2 to these two mids. Again, low THD.

I also added a relaltively inexpensive 120$ crossover, and dialed the subs down to a very, very low cross over point to not pick up any of the mids and definitely no highs. I also cut the mids off at a certain point up the spectrum as well.

It as dialed in well.. Used 4 Gauge cable to power the Amps. (little overkill, but my friend worked in the install shop).

Anyhow -- So the brands we are talking about then were Kenwood for Head unit and amps. MB Qaurt for Mids, and JL Audio for the Subs. Simple setup, but very very impressive and clean.

Now..

As I said the stock system in this 94 LS400 sounds decent.. Speakers aren't blown or distorted, and all work. However, I'd like to give it a little punch.

Nothing like I had.. I don't want 2 12's riding down the street setting off car alarms as I go through a parking deck.

I'd like to be subtle.

I was thinking either a single 8" woofer/sub, or 10" woofer/sub.

I'm debating if I went with an 8" sub, just for a little kick.. if maybe it would not over power the factory speakers and it would just give the sound I am after.

However, If I do need to go ahead and throw in new speakers all the way around.. I will.

If I am to do that, I suppose I will be going with a replacement headunit as well.

Now, the factory headunit is double DIN (very large). Is it relatively simple to purchase a head unit that will fit that large slot these days?

I still have the MB Quarts from the first system.. They are 6 1/2'" mids. Is that size possible to use in the front or rear of the LS400? Or are they just of no use?

Basically I want a clean, rock punch. Something responsive -- The 8 or 10 just to give the bass, but punchy clean bass. Fast response time that can keep up with bands like Chevelle, or slipknot.

I do not want the 'Boooom Booooom' laggy over powering bass I did when I was a kid.

Nor do I need a 100+ dB system. I'll crank it up to show off a little to a friend every now and then, but I'll keep it at a reasonable level most of the time for normal listening.

So if you had a customer (or were me).. and wanted to get out as cheap as possible, but with good clean sound.. just a few steps up from factory.

What approach would you use?

IE: Give me some example systems -- Say I would keep your factory speakers, and go with this 8" sub that is X RMS, and grab this amp. You should be pleased with it.

Or Go ahead and grab this series of speakers from X company. They are X RMS -- (Your head unit should power them just fine if you use X headunit) -- Grab this 8 or 10 inch sub (brand/model), and this amp at X RMS.

You get the idea.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune here either.. If I could get out with like 500-700$ that would be ideal. I'm not looking to spend 1500+$ on a system.

An absolute must: The bass will have to be trunk mounted I know (the sub) -- I do not want a rattling trunk at all. So if that dictates the size and power of the sub, then so be it. I just want a bit of punch, without boom rattling the trunk to death.

Ideas?

I don't have to have the fanciest headunit either.. Just a decent brand, that plays single disc CD, radio, and MP3 compatibility. I don't need a fancy pop out LCD screen etc. Just something that fits the slot nicely, and can play the CD's/Radio etc.

Something has to be possible even in such a tight budget. So you audiophiles help me out here :)

Thanks so much