Seeking A Firm Performance Ride

dtsgy

Not sure, but if your car has a really soft and floaty ride, consider giving me your old struts (I will pay shipping). ;) My 91' LS400 has a pretty soft ride from the rear suspension, but the front leaves more to be desired. My front suspension seems very firm and does not do much in offering isolation from bumps on the road. :( I prefer a soft/floaty ride, but out of all of the Toyota products I have owned over the years, I never seem to get one with a soft/floaty ride, even on the Camrys and LS400s. :rolleyes: Yet, I often see other LS400s and Camrys floating and bouncing down the road. <_<

My old 90' LS400 had KYB-2 struts that someone installed on the rear. My suspension was very harsh for my tastes. The ride was very firm. I bought OEM struts and installed back on the rear and it softened it back up. I still have the KYBs here somewhere... perhaps we could trade? <_< They only have like 2000 miles on them. Thats if I can find them... I have not seen them in a couple of years. If I cannot find them I still may like to get yours if you get new ones.

I only have the two for the rear though- I do not have the front struts. I am needing the front struts for my current LS- wanting something floaty/soft. Would not mind having those rear ones for future use though. I wonder how hard the fronts are to change. :unsure:

When you say floaty, do you mean its hard to keep in the road, or does it just bounce up and down easily? Press down on the front and rear bumpers... does the car go down easily? Does it bounce more than once on the front or back? I know when I push down on the front of mine, its very difficult to press down and it barely goes down. Seems more like truck suspension to me.

94 LS 400 - I feel like the ride of my LS is begining to feel like its floating, if thats a term. Any suggestions as to a possilbe performance upgrade or compatable replacments that don't break the bank?

floating feeling comes from your suspension, seat, or tires. I am sure your seat is not going to get changed here, so look at our wheels or suspension. The most direct impact you will have will be to stiffen your suspension, plain and simple.... How big is your bank??? lol plus sizing your wheels will give you more control, but definitely harshen your ride, but the floaty feeling should be in your suspensionm and will probably still be there.

Best of luck!

When you say floaty, do you mean its hard to keep in the road, or does it just bounce up and down easily? Press down on the front and rear bumpers... does the car go down easily? Does it bounce more than once on the front or back? I know when I push down on the front of mine, its very difficult to press down and it barely goes down. Seems more like truck suspension to me.
94 LS 400 - I feel like the ride of my LS is begining to feel like its floating, if thats a term. Any suggestions as to a possilbe performance upgrade or compatable replacments that don't break the bank?

90LS is exactly right. If your car is bouncy or doesn't settle down quickly after a rise or bump in the road, you need new shocks. If it's a control issue, check the rest of the suspension.

Yeah.. isnt it ironic.... a soft ride is what I want, but I do not want anything that will bounce it out of the road. I am beginning to wonder if its only the air-suspension models with the true floaty ride. My old 90' LS had the exact same ride as my current 91' LS has. The front seems way to firm, but I am wondering now if that is not how they all are. <_<

I would not mind mine bouncing a couple of time, but anything over that is too excessive and could not be good for the tires or steering components.

90LS is exactly right. If your car is bouncy or doesn't settle down quickly after a rise or bump in the road, you need new shocks. If it's a control issue, check the rest of the suspension.

Yeah.. isnt it ironic.... a soft ride is what I want, but I do not want anything that will bounce it out of the road. I am beginning to wonder if its only the air-suspension models with the true floaty ride. My old 90' LS had the exact same ride as my current 91' LS has. The front seems way to firm, but I am wondering now if that is not how they all are. <_<

I would not mind mine bouncing a couple of time, but anything over that is too excessive and could not be good for the tires or steering components.

I think the description that best fits the ideal ride would be "supple" ....maintaining optimum road contact for full control and handling capabilities yet offering maximum isolation from jarring bumps and potholes.

My 91 is not overly stiff in the front or floaty at the rear. Feels equally balanced at both ends and bumps are pretty much absorbed without transmission to the interior. Smoothest car I've ever owned. Maybe you've got stiff aftermarket shocks up front?

Get a strut bar, put in Eibach springs, and KYB GR2 struts. Should stiffen it up for the right price.

Even then the LS is NOT the most nimble or agile car on the road :)

No I use the term floating perhaps wrong. The car ride is great but when I turn the car seems to really lean with it. In others word very little resistance from the suspention when tunring. Not the performance ride I desire or recall it having. The car was stuff but yet had a great ride back in the day, turn seem to just come and go now the car seems to just struggle through the turns. The car stays level, however it just seem to really give into the turns. Would anyone know the factory height so I can determin if the springs are going. I know I can stif ride from shocks but I would hate to buy shocks and see bad springs shorten those.