Had A Collision In My '92 Ls

flanker271

I was driving back home from New York last night. There has been intermediate freezing rain/snow and some fog. When I'm only about 5 minutes away from arriving home, my tires lost grip and it suddenly spun out. The front end of the car hit a light pole head on at ~45mph. It knocked down the light pole, and resulted in the damage shown in the attached photos.

I'm going to contact a collision center tomorrow, and while waiting for the business to open, I'd like to get some opinion from members here. What do you estimate the cost of repair should be? I only have partial insurance coverage that'll cover repair of the other party, but it doesn't cover in any way of a collision with a light pole, so the repair will be coming out of my own pocket. KBB shows my car's value is about $3,500-$4,100. If the repair is going to cost around $2,000, would you consider the car is totalled?

I'd like to point out, I walked away without a scratch after hitting that metal pole at 45mph head on. These LS's are really built tough. It sacrificed itself in order to prevent any injuries to the owner.

post-6373-1202660135_thumb.jpg

post-6373-1202660170_thumb.jpg

post-6373-1202660193_thumb.jpg

I was driving back home from New York last night. There has been intermediate freezing rain/snow and some fog. When I'm only about 5 minutes away from arriving home, my tires lost grip and it suddenly spun out. The front end of the car hit a light pole head on at ~45mph. It knocked down the light pole, and resulted in the damage shown in the attached photos.

I'm going to contact a collision center tomorrow, and while waiting for the business to open, I'd like to get some opinion from members here. What do you estimate the cost of repair should be? I only have partial insurance coverage that'll cover repair of the other party, but it doesn't cover in any way of a collision with a light pole, so the repair will be coming out of my own pocket. KBB shows my car's value is about $3,500-$4,100. If the repair is going to cost around $2,000, would you consider the car is totalled?

I'd like to point out, I walked away without a scratch after hitting that metal pole at 45mph head on. These LS's are really built tough. It sacrificed itself in order to prevent any injuries to the owner.

did the airbags deploy? if so then yes its totalled, according to most insurance (scam artists) reasoning

It is so difficult to estimate a collision unless you can actually look at it in person, The bumper cover alone is around $800.00, So just by that I would say Around $2500.00 Depends where you take it. I really feel bad for your damaged LS, As long as you or anyone else were not hurt , Then all is well. Keep us up to date on this. TIA :cheers:

It is so difficult to estimate a collision unless you can actually look at it in person, The bumper cover alone is around $800.00, So just by that I would say Around $2500.00 Depends where you take it. I really feel bad for your damaged LS, As long as you or anyone else were not hurt , Then all is well. Keep us up to date on this. TIA :cheers:

I will agree with the previous comment...it will cost you at least a good $2500....depending on where you take it and since the airbag did not deploy the insurance may not consider it a total lost...but YOU will have to pay for all the expenses of fixing it. And this car is definately worth fixing! What I would personally do is try to get a written estimate from a trusted shop so I'll know what parts need replacement and try to purchase them on-line. I have bought some parts for my 90LS400 on ebay and saved myself a lot of money. You can also find some post here on people selling parts for your car. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!

My wife did something similar to our LS. Hood, grill, inner headlights, AC system, bumper cover was re-used. All three engine trans mounts were sheared. The repairs were $10,000 Canadian which should have written it off, but the estimator thought is was 4k until the repair shop got into it. Then it was too late to back out. Yours could be a write-off, unless all of the parts are available used.

So sorry to hear! :(

How good of condition is the rest of the car in?? Mechanically wise??

It would probably be a lot easier to just try and part that one out, or sell it as-is, and just buy a new LS.

How good of condition is the rest of the car in?? Mechanically wise??

Thank you for all your help. Given excellent, good, fair, poor rating, my LS is in "good" condition. I had a feeling its going to cost a fortune, but again I won't know until the guy at the collision center give me an estimate. Will keep you guys updated.

glad to ehar you are alright, that is very small damage for the speed you are travelling, btu safety is #1.

If I were you, I would sell the vehicles parts on EBay if possible, or save it and buy another one and use your current parts to get the other one up to snuff. Structural accidents at that speed can create alot of unexpected damage that you mmight not see at all. Remember, what you did was also the equivalent of throwing your engine at that same speed into a wall, so you have that impact force in all of your bearings in your car, and everything that exists inside of that vehicle got jarred at 45 MPH - 0.

I used to wrok on aircraft, and when we had a propeller strike an object, common practice is to do a full inspection of all of the bearings, and in some cases, a full engine rebuild to make it airworthy again because of the potantial to brinnell any bearing attached to it.

Best of luck!

In any frontal impact, the front absorbs more of the impact then any other part of the car, so check for hidden damage at the front first. If there's none then most likely the rest of the car is ok. I'd still take a look underneath the front. If no contact was made with the fans or rad and the car was running well before, then I would compare the cost of repair with what you could buy for that same amount. From the pics I'd say chances are, you'll be better off with the repair. At least you know the car.

• 4 months later...

Friends and fellow Lexus owners,

Some of you may remember this post back in February. Its been 4 month now since my accident and I'd like to update. I've sold my '92 LS for $500 to a nice gentleman who has a buddy that works in a body shop. He's very pleased with the purchase, and I hope that this Lexus will last him many more years to come.

I'd like to note that ever since the accident, my LS400 has been sitting in my driveway for the entire 4 month, and yesterday when the buyer showed up, she started right up on the first crank! The engine purred like a kitten, still smooth as silk. What a piece of precision engineering!

I've purchased a '02 Acura 3.5RL. It was a very good deal (1-owner, Acura Certified Pre-Owned, 57,495 miles, perfect paint, $13757.00) and I just couldn't let it pass by. Its a very nice car, and in my opinion the quality is on the same league as the Lexus. I love it very much. I know folks here love photos, so here are two photos of my new ride.

No longer a Lexus owner, I will not be as active on this forum as before. Occationally I'll drop by and give advice. I'd like to say thank you for everyone on this forum that helped me during the past 5 years that I owned my LS400. Everybody here is so friendly and helpful. This is simply the best forum out on the net right now. I'm still a graduate student right now, getting my Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering. After I graduate and my financial situation gets better, I'll most certainly return to being a Lexus owner. Hope to see everyone then!

post-6373-1213820332_thumb.jpg

post-6373-1213820354_thumb.jpg

YOU bought an RL??? HERESY!!! I'm just joking, the RL is a very handsome sedan, and everyone I've met that had one, loved them. And it sounds like you got one hell of a deal. Sorry to hear about your departure from the Lexus family, but still look forward to hearing your input on things. Take care and keep us updated. Again, congratulations! :cheers: