92 Lexus Es300 Water Pump

nykid10466

HI, i'm looking for some help with changing out the water pump, i've read so far that it's not an easy job, but i was wondering how do i tell if the pump is gone, or not put in right.... i ask this because it looks like the coolant is leaking from the joint where the pump and engine connect....thanks alot

It is quite a job. I just did mine today. While I was in there, I also replaced my cam seals, and timing belt. It takes a few specialty tools. Also replaced the PCV valve so that my rear-main doesn't spring a leak after the pressure increase from the cam seals hoding!

I should have replaced the front engine seal, but it wasn't in stock and I had to have a ride home!

When I diag a water leak on the 300 engines, I first check the exhaust for white smoke, then I check as best I can for a leak at the intake, then I check out all the hoses. You obviously have a leak in the general area of the pump. If coolant is mostly around the belt area, make sure it is not the intake gasket (visual as best you can, if the area under the fuel rail is dry and around it, it's not leaking) make sure it is not a hose. Then check the weep hole that is at the very right of the water pump housing. If coolant is coming out of it, that means the seal that seperated the bearing from the coolant gave way. Coolant will fluch the grease out of the bearing and soon the bearing will whine, soon after that it could lock up. There is no reason not to change the timing belt while you are paying a technician to do it. It is only a charge for parts, labor is 5 hours for a timing belt or a pump. But no extra labor if doing both.

I would not attempt this unless you are a lexus/toyota tech. Or a mechanic... or just plain know how to work on cars.... I don't know what I am saying anymore...

HI, i'm looking for some help with changing out the water pump, i've read so far that it's not an easy job, but i was wondering how do i tell if the pump is gone, or not put in right.... i ask this because it looks like the coolant is leaking from the joint where the pump and engine connect....thanks alot

The water pump is no light task. It involves removing the timing covers, belts, crankshaft pulley, timing belt. If you aren't prepared to remove all of those then I would take it somewhere to be done. With the 1mz another issue is that part of the water pump housing actually mounts slightly behind the backing plate of the timing cover (the metal one). But as an easier method to get around having to pull cam gears and stuff, I pulled the bolts out of the backing plate, then used a screwdriver to make a little room to slide the edge of the pump in.

After you do this, you are going to need to know how to get the engine back in time also, becase the cam gears are more than likely going to be moving at some point.

So if you aren't up to all that, I suggest take it to a mechanic. Most mechanics will put a new timing belt on free of charge or for a nominal fee, since it has to come off to get at the water pump anyway.

Yes, it is not for the faint of heart. I recently completed my waterpump and timing belt replacement and it was for me a 10 level task. I have never done a lexus before, I mostly work on motorcycles and trucks so the only thing that help me was that I knew my way around an engine. I HIGHLY recommend that if you dont know a phillips from a flat head and have have never done any engine work, you get a garage or mechanic to do the work.

BTW if you were here in the KY ide do it for free beer :cheers: