Front Lower Control Arm Help

CaptainSC

I recently took my 94' SC400 to the local mechanic and they did a inspection on my a/c compressor. However they also discovered that my front lower control arm bushings are almost shot on the passengers side and worn on the drivers side. Total repair cost is over $2,000. The reason for this is because they told me that the entire control arm has to be replaced because it is all one unit. This is where it gets confusing. My friends dad had a shop tell him the same thing about his Lincoln Town Car and he just went out and bought bushings and did it himself. My question is can I buy the bushings individually and do it myself or do I really have to replace the entire control arm? I appreciate any help I can get.

I recently took my 94' SC400 to the local mechanic and they did a inspection on my a/c compressor. However they also discovered that my front lower control arm bushings are almost shot on the passengers side and worn on the drivers side. Total repair cost is over $2,000. The reason for this is because they told me that the entire control arm has to be replaced because it is all one unit. This is where it gets confusing. My friends dad had a shop tell him the same thing about his Lincoln Town Car and he just went out and bought bushings and did it himself. My question is can I buy the bushings individually and do it myself or do I really have to replace the entire control arm? I appreciate any help I can get.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SC300-SC400...sspagenameZWDVW

I'm in the same boat. I've read that I will lose some ride quality with the polyurethane bushings and they will squeak if not lubed regularly. Also read that Lexus sells bushings for us now. (sold for 97-00 models, but fit 92-up). My dealer didn't know what I was talking about. Also read that last gen Supra LCA's fit, come w/bushings and ball joints and are $205 ea. I have a thread going on this site to verify that before I order them, but no response yet. I have a part number on that thread. Lexus dealer quoted me 700+ each. What a joke. Some of that "steller" Lexus dealer service, I guess. Some say installing the bushings is total hell, some say not too bad. Melt the old ones out and have a shop press the new ones in. Keep the heat off the metal arm. Would someone post about the actual removal of the arms from the car? Looks like you need a ball joint fork (can't remember the real name) and some muscle. Not too many bolts. And I think you need to have the suspension at the normal level, not extended, when you tighten the bolt at the bushing mount. Anyone?

If your car has high mileage, I would just replace the whole control arm instead of just the bushings. Reason being that the balljoints are worn and they cannot be replaced unless you get a whole new arm. I'm not sure how they quoted you $2000 installed for the arms since oem Lexus ones are about $420/each, oem Toyota Supra (93-96) ones are about $200/each, and 97-98 Supra arms are about $350/each since they are aluminum. Just get the parts yourself for alot cheaper and have them install it.

93-98 Supra arms

~ $400/pair supra arms + $250 labor + $80 alignment = $730, therefore $1270 for the ac compressor/labor?

OEM Lexus

~ $840/pair lexus arms + $250 labor + $80 alignment = $1170, there for $830 for the ac compressor/labor?

Seems pretty steep to me.